Blood sugar Levels To High - Coffee?

Diane2209

I have been diagnosed with Pre diabetes 6 months ago and my sugar levels are between 6.5 - 6.9 each morning, this being before i drink or eat.
I recently found out that i am intolerant to caffeine and aspartame (artificial sweetener) I cut out the diet coke/ flavoured water and chocolate
However i did a months survey with out any of the above and found out that i was able to re introduced coffee (decaffeinated) without any side effects.

my question is with my sugar levels being too high for pre-diabetes can the coffee be causing this?

has any one else experienced this?

thank you

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have been diagnosed with Pre diabetes 6 months ago and my sugar levels are between 6.5 - 6.9 each morning, this being before i drink or eat.
I recently found out that i am intolerant to caffeine and aspartame (artificial sweetener) I cut out the diet coke/ flavoured water and chocolate
However i did a months survey with out any of the above and found out that i was able to re introduced coffee (decaffeinated) without any side effects.

my question is with my sugar levels being too high for pre-diabetes can the coffee be causing this?

has any one else experienced this?

thank you

I am not really sure exactly what you're asking here.

Your liver dumps glucose into your system as a kickstarter to get you moving. This may happen before you wake, upon waking or shortly after. So the effect is to have high glucose levels even when you haven't eaten.

As for caffeine, it is a stimulant and so it may bring on the liver dump but it's not something that I'm aware I suffer from.

If you're saying that de-caff keeps you in the non-diabetic range then stick with it an monitor the situation.

Diane2209

I am not really sure exactly what you're asking here.

Your liver dumps glucose into your system as a kickstarter to get you moving. This may happen before you wake, upon waking or shortly after. So the effect is to have high glucose levels even when you haven't eaten.

As for caffeine, it is a stimulant and so it may bring on the liver dump but it's not something that I'm aware I suffer from.

If you're saying that de-caff keeps you in the non-diabetic range then stick with it an monitor the situation.

Hi sorry if my post was not clear - i can get carried away lol..

i am trying to determine what is causing my blood sugar levels to be so high, i try my best to keep a good diet , i do however have 30g almonds & 30g unsalted cashew nuts each evening as a snack, but also have 2 boiled eggs each day for breakfast, about 5 cups of decaffeinated coffee during the day an possibly 4 glasses of sugar free Robinson orange so wondering if either these could be the cause of the blood sugar increase?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

i am trying to determine what is causing my blood sugar levels to be so high, i try my best to keep a good diet , i do however have 30g almonds & 30g unsalted cashew nuts each evening as a snack, but also have 2 boiled eggs each day for breakfast, about 5 cups of decaffeinated coffee during the day an possibly 4 glasses of sugar free Robinson orange so wondering if either these could be the cause of the blood sugar increase?

You have mentioned your fasting blood glucose levels as being high.. these are usually the last numbers to "normalise" after dietary changes.
Are you measuring at any other time of the day and what sort of levels do you see then?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You mention what you drink and snack, but not what your meals look like (the nuts are fine, so's the eggs, so yay for that). If your BG is up it's usually because your Dawn Phenomenon's a bit active (that morning liver dump), and it won't come down until you've gotten your BG lower in the rest of the day too. So... What are you eating, usually? I assume you're not living on eggs and nuts only?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cashew 'nut' is rather high in carbs - about 30 percent - so that 30 gm of cashews is equivalent to the carbs in my breakfast. There are true nuts which are much lower carb.
My diet is wicked - steak and mushrooms or bacon and eggs for breakfast, or maybe sausages, or scrambled eggs with cheese and tomatoes - though in the hot weather I did resort to salads.
In the evening roast meat, or fish with a stir fry or low carb veges. A maximum of 40 gm of carb per day.
I have blood glucose levels under 7 after eating, Hba1c of 42. It took a little while and a lot of testing to sort out the foods I could eat, but now after almost 3 years I am sure I have this beaten.