Type 1 blood sugar low

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
may be the same for others type 1 57 years saturday last go for BIKE ride 2 mile on road back home via a footpath round fields now at 10-30 stop check blood sugars 5,0 TAKE ONE OF THESE GEL FAST ENGERY GEL show 22 grams of carbs take all .
,then go on walking with bike a further 20 mins on footpath talking to a pal i known on route took blood sugars again 4.6
so took 3 glucose tablets =12 grams got home ok
but my question is does anybody else use these gels to get blood sugars up as my did not to appear to work or was i very low
odd often use lucozade to get fast uplift
vic on pump

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I understand that situation. Did you ever actually have a low? The way I understood it, you had a 5.0 and 4.6 mmol/L reading which are both obviously very good. The way I read it, it sounds like you took just the right amount of glucose tablets and avoided the low, but also avoided overcorrecting.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't use the gels and usually just use JB's or Glucotabs, to avoid any potential lows you can use a TBR before you exercise @vic hill

Reactions: 3 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure the gel worked, you probably needed that amount of carbs for the activity you were doing

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
low with me .
eyes start unfocused and noise becomes very loud ,cannot function at 4/5 on blood sugars.
i have always been types who need to be at 6/7 on bloods sugars and as you say, not out of action but need a fast input of sugar to get back to normal and not go overboard .
so will now stick to glucose tablets or sugar in warm water,also one of those person who will wake up at night and know i am low.and take action to bring blood sugar back up
thank s for input have a good day also pump acc check back on spirit combo ref steel needle on insight
vic

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
JBs = jelly babies :)
ah ha .thought it may have been juice bottles = GLUCO juice bottle from bbI 15 GRAMS FAST acting juice
ok jelly babies how much carbs per baby..... PS trouble is i will eat to many sometime s???
thanks azure ..
used to have mars bars in the car but with heat like we have this week come out melting .still they do fry them for you the FISH
AND CHIPS ,,,shops
vic

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ah ha .thought it may have been juice bottles = GLUCO juice bottle from bbI 15 GRAMS FAST acting juice
ok jelly babies how much carbs per baby..... PS trouble is i will eat to many sometime s???
thanks azure ..
used to have mars bars in the car but with heat like we have this week come out melting .still they do fry them for you the FISH
AND CHIPS ,,,shops
vic

I consider @noblehead the jelly baby expert so I'll tag him to answer :D

Myself, I use dextrose tablets or Lucozade for very fast-acting glucose. The jelly babies distract me as I keep looking for my favourite colours!

Yes, chocolate doesn't work in the heat. If I'm looking for extra carb snacks to carry, I often choose cereal bars or biscuits as they're pretty robust.

Never had a deep-fried Mars Bar - I prefer chips! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
thanks azure ..
AND CHIPS ,,,shops
vic

Yeah JB's are moreish :) Each sweet is just under 5g.

I use to treat hypo's using Mars Bars, then someone pointed out that chocolate isn't the fastest way of treating a hypo which is so true.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure the gel worked, you probably needed that amount of carbs for the activity you were doing
yes you are possible correct ,just seems when i do walking and now the weather is fine get out on bike
still sorting out pump as gone back to accu -chek spirit combo ref steel needles may have to T B R say set at 50%not 25 %
think in the course of things rather low than high along term to many highs hit the eyes kidneys and feet
sorry to glum .sorry no cook sure your COOKING IDEAS are SUPER BUT LEAVE THAT TO WIVES AND GIRLS
HAVE A GOOD DAY :rolleyes::rolleyes:
thanks vic pump since 2007 and the old needles since 57