Blood sugar reading of 7.9 .What does that mean ?

Captain Chris

Had Diabetes 2 for a while now .I am not on medication yet but just had my yearly check up and my sugar levels where 12.2 .My doctor has given me a meter to check my sugar levels for the next week .My first reading was 12.1 but I am now on day 4 of my week and put myself on a strict diet and on day 4 of my week I have now got my sugar level down to 7.9.What does all these number mean and what sugar number should I be looking at getting .Is 7.9 something I should worry about .It is all confusing to me at the moment

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My first reading was 12.1 but I am now on day 4 of my week and put myself on a strict diet and on day 4 of my week I have now got my sugar level down to 7.9.What does all these number mean and what sugar number should I be looking at getting .Is 7.9 something I should worry about
It means you're going in the right direction!

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-diabetics would have a fasting BG of 3.9 - 5.5mmol/L
Your numbers don't mean much unless they were fasting readings
Everyone's BG fluctuates after eating, again a non-diabetic spends 97% of the day between 3.9 & 7.8.

The fact you're coming down is a great sign & that meter is your most valuable tool.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

That's a great start! What it means to me is that you have started to manage your condition with diet. I hope your doctor is suitably impressed. What are you doing with your diet?