1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar UP overnight

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by imintroublenow, Jul 21, 2016.

1. imintroublenow

imintroublenow Type 2 · Member

I checked my sugar levels on Wednesday night, and it was 5.8mml. In the morning it was 6.8mml. Why did it go UP overnight???

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

There could be a number of reasons. The first thing to say is that meters have a margin of error, so you could be 5.5 one minute and 6.2 the next - not because you did anything wrong, just due to variations in its readings.

The other thing to mention is a liver dump, where your body 'dumps' some extra glucose in your bloodstream ready to start the day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

If you use the search box for "liver dumps" and "dawn phenomenon" you will find thousands of threads about this naturally occurring irritation. It is our livers looking after us, even if we would prefer them not to. ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your body is still digesting food while you sleep! so a rise of 1 is completely normal and I would say excellent control.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cloudlesssky

Cloudlesssky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aha! I have struggled with understanding this since I was diagnosed, I felt that as I'm overweight, people would just think I snacked too much in the evenings, But then, after my GP retired, my new doctor told me that my general levels were just generally too high for my body to cope with over night.
    The solution for me was an additional tablet in the morning (I now take gliclacide) Whereas I know that some people want to avoid medication and go for a more natural healthy approach, this has really helped me get my levels to under 7 - when for over a year I was struggling to get under 12.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TJR56

TJR56 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Eating later in the evening can make it keep going up as you digest the meal later (after you tested). Or it might be the liver dump, bless it. Anyway, you have an admirable range so well done.

7. MarcoRiveira

MarcoRiveira Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would rather take medication to quickly or consistently control blood sugar levels, than be above normal levels and struggle. I think is more dangerous than taking the medication.

Once in control, one can slowly try to get off the medication. But it's nice to always have the medication nearby, just in case.

Try taking the metformin before bed too, it helps with my levels when I wake up (if you are taking metformin too)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook