Blood Sugars and Menstruation

courtanddco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sending a post out here to get a general feel for what happens to everyone, as I've recently just found out my blood sugars appear to increase during shark week! A lot of (unwanted) exercise seemed to have done the trick, but I can't seem to get a general answer online as to where BG should be increasing or decreasing during my period?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't seem to get a general answer online as to where BG should be increasing or decreasing during my period?
It's different for different people.
A lot of people seem to rise (or need more insulin), some of them (like me) drop/need less insulin. There is no set rule.
For me, I often drop a day or two before my period, lower insulin need lasting for a couple of days before going back up.

• Agree
Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@courtanddco Absolutely agree with @Antje77 it's different for everyone, I need about a 1/3 more insulin in the days leading up and then I drop once started, it's a real pain to deal with but as your body hormonal needs change then so does your insulin, it's best to track it if you can so at least you can be prepared.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found I need a bit more insulin in the lead up to my period, sometimes also during my period.

Along the same lines, I've also found I need less insulin when I'm ovulating, mid-cycle. I often feel the ovulation pain (like a cramp, but just lasts a few seconds) and it correlates with a low.

There are times during my cycle that I feel like I can eat higher carb stuff and it doesn't affect my blood sugar as much. On those days, we usually go to the bakery and I get a pastry since it's easier for me to bolus for. :)

The most annoying thing is that the switch between needing extra insulin and needing less insulin happens quite suddenly, so it's hard to prepare for.

courtanddco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the responses! I did notice that I needed less insulin during ovulation, but didn't notice the connection till now (I just thought I'd been eating less)! Many thanks for the responses. :)