Blood sugars dropping at 31 weeks

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey girls
Just thought I should keep you updated, I've been much more stable not one hypo since Monday. My insulin levels haven't dropped again, I'm on a lot less still, but so far I'm stable. As for babies movements I have a very close eye on her.

Thanks once again for all of your support X

Reactions: 6 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to soon...... Another 2 hypos... I've emailed DSN so she will call tomorrow. I did feel a little off colour yesterday but couldn't put my finger on it.
With only being diagnosed this year I really don't know what Is normal, I don't know if my symptoms are baby related, diabetes related or just generally unwell.
My blood pressure is creeping up, I monitor at home, still within safe levels.

Sorry I'm asking you guys like your the doctors.....

Any advise on what I should be asking would be great?

Thanks again X.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Becky
How often are you testing blood sugars? I tested nearly every hour whilst pregnant (more as I was a control freak as I still had awareness).
Could you tell you were hypo before pregnancy as you can lose your awareness when pregnant?
Signs can vary for a hypo from person to person. My genuine rule is if I don't feel too good to test. (I have been type 1 since I was 2 so nearly 35 years). More recently I have had a few different signs like feeling really hungry before I'm about to go hypo.

Hypos might be because you are newly diagnosed rather than baby related.

Are you still feeling baby move?

Have you done your basal rate check again (don't eat any carbs and monitor your sugars).

Can you nip to your gp to get your blood pressure checked and for them to test for protein if it's easier to get there?
x

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spoke to soon...... Another 2 hypos... I've emailed DSN so she will call tomorrow. I did feel a little off colour yesterday but couldn't put my finger on it.
With only being diagnosed this year I really don't know what Is normal, I don't know if my symptoms are baby related, diabetes related or just generally unwell.
My blood pressure is creeping up, I monitor at home, still within safe levels.

Sorry I'm asking you guys like your the doctors.....

Any advise on what I should be asking would be great?

Thanks again X.

Sorry things are going off kilter again, Becky. It's hard to say what's causing your hypos because you've been diagnosed so recently. However, never assume that they're just because of that - and never let anyone else assume that either. So I would be asking them why they think your sugars are dropping, and I would refer to the fact that your insulin resistance should be high at this stage of pregnancy. Don't be afraid of interrogating the consultant! I'm sure your DSN is good, but if it was me I'd want to see a consultant.

As for your blood pressure, do you think the stress is making that worse? What was your reading? Have you had problems before (you say you're monitoring it at home). Have you got any other symptoms? I've found that the pregnancy team are usually very hot on BP but, again, ask them what the cut off level is for high blood pressure in pregnancy and how yours compares.

You said you felt off colour. In what way? Do mention this to your team. Mention any symptoms you had even if they seemed trivial.

Sending you my best wishes. X

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both, I've come back into triage as not happy, baby not quite as active as I'd like. They have monitored and seem happy with movements.

I saw the consultant Monday both diabetic and baby, as I'd also had a growth scan and baby measuring within the lines.. They didn't see too worried.

I woke yesterday feeling hungover is probably the best way to describe it.

I've just seen the doctor, am awaiting the consultant and they will be sending me for a scan if there is space, so hopefully we will have more of an answer one way or another.

Will keep you updated X

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck Becky, defo made the correct decision heading to triage let us know how you get on xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update, Becky. All I can say is to repeat the message to trust your instincts. You spend 24 hours a day with your baby and you know their 'daily schedule' best.

I don't know what the hungover feeling could be. Later in pregnancy I got very tired and sometimes as my bump got bigger I felt a little bit of nausea. I also got awful heartburn and general aches some mornings.

I know how stressful it must be not knowing exactly what's going on. I hope you get some information and a better idea of what's happening, if anything.

Take care. X

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultant been in, they are keeping me in and giving me steroids to bring on baby's lungs just incase.
At least I'm in the best place to keep an eye on my little lady.

Wish me luck girls I'm a little scared xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Steroids sound like a sensible idea :) I don't think they're particularly pleasant for you and they can put your blood sugar up, but they're very good for baby's lungs. It's a sensible precaution, I think.

Try not to be scared {{hugs}} You've done everything right and really been on the ball watching out for your baby and being a great mum already. Now you're in hospital, they can keep a close eye on you.

Keep calm and look after yourself, and that way you'll be looking after your little girl too.

Sending you lots of good vibes. XX

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steroids are not very nice they hurt quite a bit. They made my sugars go up to 15 but they are already back to 8 so I don't have to go on a drip... Few!
The diabetic consultant has been in just advised to keep lowering lantus if needed.
At least this weekend they have a plan. Feeling more confident now.
Not sure about the rest I'll get as the 3 woman on ward are in early labour....

Thanks again
Xx

Reactions: 4 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Becky I had steroids for both pregnancies not the nicest but worth it!
You are in the right place.
They normally come and do obs and get you to check your sugars all the time (well they did for me).
Would anyone be able to get you some earplugs or ask on the ward- it meant for me that when you can rest you aren't being disturbed by others - will be a different story once baby comes and demands your attention!

I have the joy of night feeding twins (they were due this week) sort one out then the next one wakes up-get as much rest as you can now.
x

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sarah, my partner is coming in and is bringing me headphones so at least I can listen to music.

Wow sounds like ear plugs are a must for after the birth lol.

Thanks you lot for keeping me sane it's just nice to hear from people knowing what you are going through xxx

Reactions: 4 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah, baby is still in my tummy which is great I'm 32+6 so the days are ticking on.... I'm still baffling the medics unfortunately!
I came out of hospital yesterday back in every other day for tests and to make sure baby is ok.
My diabetic consultant and baby consultant had a small battle yesterday so at least I know they have spoken, and are taking the situation seriously. DC would like delivery soon BC wants to hang on a while.
They are testing me for addissons disease, not sure how long the results take tobcome in for that.
My lantus has gone from 34 at it's highest to 10 last night and I just woke at 4.1, but I got to eat a snack every cloud and all that.....
It's just such a blinking worry X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's good that you're being monitored and investigated, but, yes, a worry when you're pregnant for sure. Hopefully, the Addisons test results will come back quickly, and you'll know more.

It sounds like your team are looking after you thoroughly (even if they are arguing).

Best wishes xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fingers crossed for you. Obviously the longer baby is inside the better unless there is a definite problem.
Like azure says at least they are looking after you now.
Have you asked if you can be shown round the neonatal unit just in case baby comes early and needs to go in? You need to try prepare yourself that it might happen (my eldest went in and it was the biggest shock to me) then one of my twins had to go into intensive care for a month last month. It's really traumatic as a mum but obviously they are in the best place.
x

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Sarah I'm sorry that that happened to you. I can't imagine how it feels.
No I haven't asked to be honest I've not really thought about it. I will see someone tomorrow and ask if it's something they do. Also I need to find out what happens when babies go in there are you allowed to stay at hospital with them? I live an hour away and there will be no way I'll be going that far away from my baby that is for sure.

I will keep updating you X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I stayed in hospital with my baby, and I know there was also accommodation you could stay in if your baby was going to be in NICU weeks. You could ask next time you go in to be checked maybe. In my hospital, it depended on the space they had and how far away you lived.