Blood sugars dropping at 31 weeks

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so from now I'm on daily monitoring I have a scan tomorrow to look at the umbilical cord flow again, with a ctg trace. Then a ctg everyday till Monday where I can have my growth scan. The consultant wants to try and get me to 34/35 weeks at the very least. When I get any info I will let you know. This little monkey has us all working hard for her, but 100% worth it X

Reactions: 4 people

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you are being looked after Becky! The regular scans will keep your mind at rest. Is baby OK? They definitely keep you on your toes and I don't think that ever stops til they are grown up adults lol xx

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm back in hospital now until delivery.
Had the Doppler scan which checks umbilical cords blood supply which was good but the consultant isn't happy enough for me to be at home. Will have a growth scan Monday and see what happens then, hopefully she is still growing well. I've been booked in for a c-section a week today at 34 weeks gestation.
Sarah they are going to show us around the sbu and meet some of the doctors nurses. Are there any questions I should ask I'll probably loose the ability to think at the time...

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Becky
Well I know it's hard but you are in the right place. Can I ask why they think you can wait a week not two to 35w?
They will give you a few days on post natal ward after section. Also why are they not trying induction first? Natural labour squashes the fluids out so better for their lungs than section.

Have you asked about parent accommodation once you are well enough to be discharged if she needs to stay on neonatal? If she is OK medically then do they have an early baby/transitional care ward where you can room in with her. They are normally quite sleepy when born at this gestation so will need a tube passing to be fed. You will need to think about what formula you want to give her in this case. Are you going to express for her? It takes a while to get going but assume they have pumps to help.
The other thing is that they sometimes don't have a sucking reflex to breastfeed either (none of mine could at 35w) which is really upsetting as a mum. I am however an expert at sterilising now!
Will your partner be with you when you have her? A section is hard especially for the first couple of days. It is better if your other half can take time off once you are home in my experience as that's when you really need them even though you feel like you want them in hospital.

Beware of hypos after the birth especially if you express. And as you are so tired after you can end up going lower without noticing. Have lucozade right next to where you can reach and your test kit, your phone/charger, water. Get your partner to set it up for you once you are
on the ward. Use the bed to help sit you up.

I'm still recovering 6w on from delivery!

I had to provide clothes and nappies- you can get micro nappies for tiny babies. My little boy is still in them now after his op. I would get some early baby clothes -what are you going to do about washing them too?? Lots of places sell them now-even supermarkets. Also do you have a little cuddly to put in her cot?

Have you got everything at home? Moses, car seat, bouncer,blankets etc as when they come early sometimes people haven't got everything.

Anyway my two are now back to sleep so need to try get some z's between these feeds-you can't prepare yourself enough for the tiredness-rest now!
x

Reactions: 2 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah, I will ask those questions I'm not sure why a section.
With the delivery it is dependant on the growth scan Monday if all is well they may try and get me to 35 weeks. The consultant is weighing the safest option with regards to baby is it safer to deliver at 34 weeks than risk another week in Utro. A million dollar question unfortunately.

I will hopefully Breast feed or at least express what I can, I was planning on using a bottle and expressing as I have to go back to work earlier.
Formula isn't something that I've thought of I will ask for some advise, also what the hospital use as may be upsetting to change formula when we manage to "break out"

I'm all set up at home apart from all the washing of baby's things and unpacking of the other bits I need, I will wait and get someone to do that for me when she is here and safe.
I went out Tuesday and picked up everything I need bought small baby grows and vests washed,ironed and packed all with me now. I have first size nappies I will see if they fit otherwise will get someone to get the smaller ones.

If you think of anything else let me know, as what better than a mum that's already been through all of this.

Thanks so much for the support you have no idea what it means to me. As I'm sat here so scared and you guys are there advising me at a time in my life where I need guidance support more ever. True selfless act of humanity thank you xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck Becky! Great advice from Sarah who has been through it all very recently. I was induced at 35w but baby went into distress so ended up csection but agree with Sarah natural delivery is safer / best for baby and you. This was 2.5 years ago so distant memory now and amazing how you forget the distress you are going through!

Do you have any family to be helping out with the washing etc while you are in hospital? My mum + mum inlaw were great for taking the washing away for me, and also got the house ready for us coming home 10 days later.

I was quite lucky and my son managed to avoid neonatal, he was breathing on his own, steroid injections helped wonders, he had no sucking reflex being early but managed a syringe then a cup from my expressed milk so was feeding. Preterm babies are very sleepy! Enjoy the peace as doesn't last long lol My son was jaundice but as I had my own room they brought an incubator and photo therapy lights into my room so was lucky he was always by my side. I had hypertension so was in just as long as he was. You and baby are in the best place with 24hr care right now. Take care xx

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ash, I think I have to trust the consultant and his advise, I would prefer natural birth, but he has all the facts I'm sure he is doing what is best. But I will ask never can ask enough questions. Also meeting the sbu team and I can ask them too.

Yes I'm very lucky I have a supportive network of people, I just have to learn to ask.....

I'm lucky I do have my own room as I'm here for the long haul, I'm not sure if that's more lonely or more relaxing.

I hope to be here as long as baby, I live so far away I think if I have to go home I will book a hotel near hospital, but these decisions I can only make when it comes to it.

Xx

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will hopefully Breast feed or at least express what I can, I was planning on using a bottle and expressing as I have to go back to work earlier.
Formula isn't something that I've thought of I will ask for some advise, also what the hospital use as may be upsetting to change formula when we manage to "break out"

The TRIGR study (Trial to Reduce Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus in the Genetically at Risk) is still ongoing, due to complete in 2017, but they have some evidence so far that using hydrolyzed infant formula as opposed to cows milk formula may make a difference in future diagnoses of diabetes. https://www.trigr.org/

The study is using Nitrimigen by Enfamil formula (not sure if that varies by country - in Canada we also have Pregestimil A+ and Alimentum). I'm hoping to breastfeed but I picked up some Nutrimigen to have on hand just in case. Nothing is conclusive yet but I figured it can't hurt. I will also be bringing it (and hopefully colostrum) with me to the hospital and requesting that only the formula I bring gets used if needed.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Becky,

It must be very scary for you. But at least you know that your consultant is adapting to circumstances and revising their decisions to do the best for you and your baby. That's a positive thing to think about.

Just a note about feeding - my son had to have an immediate feed before I could express anything, and I was offered the choice of donated breast milk or formula. It's worth asking exactly what options they have. I then got expressing very quickly and he was fed my milk through a tube. They also used my milk as a painkiller when he needed procedures eg an IV put in. The NICU Doctor recommended this. Obviously, they may have other options if you can't do this, but it made me feel a lot better being able to help him like this.

I've never had a section, but if I was going to I'd ask exactly what was going to be happening and when, so I felt prepared and more relaxed. I'd also ask what contact I could have with baby straight after birth.

Also, just to say that my second baby was born at 35 and 1/2 weeks and didn't have to go to NICU, but my son, who was born later, did. All babies are different so be prepared for anything. The Special Care team are fantastic and are well used to dealing with premature babies. I know that's not going to stop you worrying, but I found my team brilliant, and they did relieve the stress.

Did you get any news about the Addisons test, by the way? Good news your Doppler scan was ok.

Take care and a huge hug XX

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, mother and baby doing well. Baby weighed in at 5lb 7oz yesterday at 9.23 34 weeks and 1 day. She spent the day and night in Nicu on cpap for a couple of hours, since then breathing on her own. Starting on formula to come off glucose drip at this time I'm not getting any milk. She's doing well very proud. Xxx

Reactions: 6 people

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant news Becky! Sounds like she is doing great and a very nice weight for being so early. Well done, you will be so proud so happy for you! take care xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news, Becky! Congratulations! It must be an enormous relief for you.

It sounds like your little girl is doing brilliantly :) Well done. XX

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations Becky. That's a good weight for 34w and that she is breathing on her own.
Has she got an ng tube or has she managed to feed?
Did you have a section?
x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations becky! Sounds like you are both doing really well! x

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all, she started to feed yesterday, unfortunately my milk isn't here yet so I have decided to start on formula. She is doing so well now in a cot maintaining her temp and dropping in her drip. Not there yet but she is doing better than I could have dreamed of X

Reactions: 6 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Congratulations! Your milk won't come in for a few days normally, takes longer when it's the first and can also be delayed by any trauma. It came in on day 2 with my twins but there were 2 of them and they weren't my 1st. With my 1st it came in on day 5. Is your baby being fed by a nasal tube? If so you can put them to the breast at the same time they give a feed this way so they associate feeling full with being near the breast and sucking. My twins had sucking reflexes at 33+4. Regarding formula, depending on weight and hospital policy they may put you on special formula to increase weight and give added vitamins. We were put on nutriprem. This can then be obtained on prescription when you leave hospital. We were also put on additional vitamins (iron and dalavit).

There are different NICUs and SCBUs in different hospitals. Some are for seriously sick very early babies and others are just for those who need a bit of extra help. The hospital my twins were born in had one of the former and we were discharged after 5 days with little support or advice. As a result we got admitted 5 days later to another hospital where the scbu was more for babies who needed help growing and would only admit from 34 weeks not 24 and that was more appropriate for us. Have they given you any BLISS booklets? They are very helpful.

Good luck. It's wonderful that she's here and doing so well. I'd suggest you set your partner on looking into the type of SCBU etc. These weeks are very hard and emotional (even with a fuller term baby) and you need all the support you can get.