BLOOD SUGARS GOING DOWN.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi three times this week my bs has gone down ,the first was 4.0 the second was 4.1 and now this morning 2 hours after eating 4.3 ,my doc said it wont g go down so whats going on.?

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry a bit stressed out over it , ok no meds first and second time was driving stopped for 2 hour check , this morning was 2 hours after eating just sitting relaxing same breakfast as normal porridge.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The figures that you've posted in themselves are quite good and the envy of many of us here on this site. Quite what your Dr means when he/she says it won't go down any further is somewhat of a mystery as to what he/she means.
Most Dr's use the HbA1c test which gives the average of your blood glucose levels for the three month period preceding the blood test. It isn't the same as the simple blood test that we would do on our own home blood glucose testers, which will only show the blood glucose level at the instant it was taken and from the tiny sample of blood .
If you are a Type 2 diabetic, or Pre-Diabetic, then home testing meters are very useful in measuring your blood glucose levels (first thing in the morning - fasting) before eating and usually 2 hours after eating as this will show you the rise in blood glucose levels that you experience from eating/drinking and how you body is dealing with the 'Glucose' that it generates.
Many of us use this information to finely tune our diet/exercise (many Type 2's also the LCH diet) to control our blood/glucose levels. I should point out that the readings that you obtain from your home tester are loosely linked to the HbA1c readings, but are not the same thing.
Hope this helps. - Best wishes - Lazybones

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi thanks for the info , just seems strange all ways in the fives and higher then in one week it drops to low fours three times.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you changed and of your normal routine recently? Might be a change in something somewhere. Possible a bug might make a difference? If it continues and you are still worried worth going back to your gp or dn to discuss further. Hope you get back to 'normal' soon

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi three times this week my bs has gone down ,the first was 4.0 the second was 4.1 and now this morning 2 hours after eating 4.3 ,my doc said it wont g go down so whats going on.?
You could be one of those people who feel good in the low fours!
Some of us can live in the high threes, as long as you are not getting hypo symptoms, there is no need to worry.
Above 3.5 mmols is in the range of normal blood glucose levels.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi went to see the doc this evening he told me nothing to worry about you wont get a hypo i just got up and walked out ,thinking about changing my doctor.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi really no need to worry unless it goes down under 3.7, with myself this is when I will start shaking ect . I do know how you feel though one night before dinner mine went down to 2.9. I was shocked! How were you feeling physically when it happened, did you have any hypo symptoms or did you feel fine.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I've slowly lowered my BG levels too. Seems to be becoming regular too. Best so far is 5.2 before lunch, weight watchers vegetable soup with apple for lunch, then 5.7 2 hours later! Still working on my food diary of what I can and can't eat. Used to be so hard and stressful but now it's getting slightly easier :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi went to see the doc this evening he told me nothing to worry about you wont get a hypo i just got up and walked out ,thinking about changing my doctor.
I don't understand the problem. If you are not on meds it's very unlikely that you will get a hypo so your GP is right. I dream of getting BG figures like yours. Mine have never been that low despite low carbing for years.

Reactions: 4 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not worried but only diagnosed three weeks ago and all i got from my doc and the dn was you have type2 here is some reading matter and see you in three months ,so every thing im learning is from the forum and it is a bit over welming at times .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I understand now. Well this is just me, but I threw the reading matter out because I knew some of the things that were recommended in the booklet were the very things that had caused me to become diabetic in the first place. Keep reading the forum and keep asking questions if you are overwhelmed. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oldman - I am another person whose numbers can get pretty low on a regular basis. It took longer for my numbers to reduce to that point, but once they did it became something I see pretty regularly. I have also never taken any medication, and generally I feel absolutely fine until I get into the 2s. I've had a few 2s, but to be honest they've usually been if I'm due to eat, and (very) hungry! Like you, I was a bit unsettled first time it happened, but now it's all just a bit routine.

It is my belief that many non-diabetics will regularly run at these numbers, but they simply have no idea because they don't test as we do. It's also worth remembering that your meter has a built in margin of error. It's allowed to be +/-15% of the true reading, so some of the very low numbers we see may not be quite so low as our meter suggests at that moment.

For those of us not taking any medication they are still an excellent, informative tool. I now understand where my ranges are for various meals and scenario, and nowadays, 19 months post-diagnosis, I tend to concentrate on the trends I see in my readings, rather than any one specific reading. Obviously if I have a shocker, like something very high or low, I wash my hands and check it by testing again. It's amazing what a shockingly high reading one can get with a grubby hand!

You're in your early days, so try to relax and have an open mind.

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's fantastic if you are on no medication, what have you been doing to achieve these? Without meds you won't have a hypo but if you have a sudden drop in BG then maybe that is what feels odd? Have you tested yourself and got any high numbers? Maybe you need another HbA1c in a couple of months just to confirm or deny the diagnosis?

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi i have had readings of between 5.2 and 20 apart from the 3 times it dropped to low fours last week although yesterday they were in the low sixes and felt quite rough . As for what im doing i dont have sugar or salt, cut them out years ago, as for food its a case of suck it and see, if it sends my bg over 7.0 i tend to leave it alone, no sweets or cakes no fizzy drinks no white bread, no fried food if i fancy a fry up every thing is done on a grill, i can be quite hard on my self at times and i have up taken bike riding some thing i have not done in about 30 years and have lost just over half a stone in 3 weeks and mrs oldman and the grand kids keep me in check as well bless them.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ps
If i get a realy high or low reading i double check with my spare machine.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Keep in mind acceptable error tolerance band on all home BG metres is huge by the standard of most instruments, I have currently 4 meters from 3 manufacturers if my trusty Codefree SD gives an unexpected reading I cross check the reading with another meter.