Blood sugars high and we still don’t know if it’s type 2 or 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of info here.

How old is your Dad?

Most of us control our diabetes through diet. Severely restricting our carbohydrates.

Does your dad have a glucose meter to test at home?

The OP doesn't know what type her dad is yet, and type 1's have to control blood glucose with Insulin.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone
For about a year he felt excessively thirsty was going to the toilet often (I guess from the increase in water). He developed a black spot in his vision and went to a doctor in London. There his blood sugar was 32. Personally as much as he hates the idea I think he may be type 1. He has lost a lot of weight he was 18 stone and now 11 he’s lost 7 stone in a year, we didn’t worry at first as he was walking to work and we thought it contributed but I guess it’s more so his diabetes thy caused the weight loss. He’s now 10 stone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone
For about a year he felt excessively thirsty was going to the toilet often (I guess from the increase in water). He developed a black spot in his vision and went to a doctor in London. There his blood sugar was 32. Personally as much as he hates the idea I think he may be type 1. He has lost a lot of weight he was 18 stone and now 11 he’s lost 7 stone in a year, we didn’t worry at first as he was walking to work and we thought it contributed but I guess it’s more so his diabetes thy caused the weight loss. He’s now 10 stone

Wow, 7 stone, that's a lot of weight to loose. For your dad's health, your dad must get a diagnosis soon, this has gone on far too long.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow, 7 stone, that's a lot of weight to loose. For your dad's health, your dad must get a diagnosis soon, this has gone on far too long.

If push come to shove, get him to A & E to get proper help and treatment he so rightly needs.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it’s a lot of weight lost and this is what worries me greatly.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm particularly concerned that your father tested positive for ketones despite no indication he could possibly be in ketosis via his diet. Combined with the substantial weight loss in a relatively short space of time this suggests ketoacidosis and he needs an answer now.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Hi Lily,
Your dad has a very caring daughter indeed!
Having lost 7 stone and still running in so high figures plus a lot of exercise daily..that sounds like T1 indeed. The same happened to me, i was so ill already when i finally got a hospital referral after a few years!

Good luck.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is very scared about the idea it could be T1 I can tell he is terrified by the idea of insulin even though he doesn’t say it I can tell he’s worried. The medication is not enough I think and he’s recently gotten blurred vision and the pain in his feet and legs. I will phone the gp again to try and get an appointment they ignore my calls often it’s so annoying

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can understand the GPs not being sure about the correct diagnosis as being slightly overweight will tend to point to T2 rather than T1. However losing that amount of weight without really trying is a strong pointer to T1 or some other condition. Apart from taking the diet advice others have given, his GPs do need to take those BS levels seriously and Metformin helps but never does that much. I would insist he has a c-peptide test to help with the diagnosis. In general a high reading implies T2 and a low reading implies T1.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you get no joy from the GP insist he go to A&E. When was he diagnosed with keystones?

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have phoned the GP but they can’t get him in to an appointment until next Saturday I don’t know what else to do. A and E is a 6-9 hour wait and we have been to hospital before and they discharged him withought doing proper tests.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have phoned the GP but they can’t get him in to an appointment until next Saturday I don’t know what else to do. A and E is a 6-9 hour wait and we have been to hospital before and they discharged him withought doing proper tests.

Have you got a walk in centre near you, or a walk in place attached to your hospital? You could try that.
Have you asked for a same day emergency appointment at your surgery? This is a bit of an emergency. Did you impress this on the receptionist? You can try again, and be firm.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a walk in but it has the same problem as A and E long wait hours and no help given I feel at a loss

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have taken him down there a couple of times but he’s given up on some occasions after 4 hours of no help

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We have taken him down there a couple of times but he’s given up on some occasions after 4 hours of no help

What would be better, un-diagnosed at home, waiting for something even more serious to develop ( by that I mean an possible emergency dash to the hospital) or waiting in A&E for a few hours, I know which one I would choose ?
No one wants to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, but it is manageable and we lead a perfectly normal life, at work and at home. Burying his head in the sand is not going to do him any favours. I hope your dad appreciate what a kind and thoughtful daughter you are.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all, it’s mainly because I have coeliacs disease I know how difficult it is to get a diagnosis (mine took 4 years) and how important it is that it’s diagnosed sooner. I hope he realises that soon and that he needs to get checked up. I’m going to the GP shortly and I’m going to see if I can either get another appointment sooner then next Saturday or if I can get an appointment at the walk in (it’s rare but I will see what I can do) I know he’s scared of what it could be but it’s better to have a diagnoses then ignoring your problems. A diagnosis is a golden ticket and the sooner he realises it the better it will be.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No way should your father have ketones in his blood when eating the sort of foods you list as in his diet - help him loose weight indeed - what rubbish.
Type two diabetes is more associated with weight gain - the weightloss your father has experienced should have caused at least a flicker of concern.
Untreated diabetes is a serious matter, and I am glad to read that you are doing all you can to help - don't give up, and it there are alterations in your dad's condition then dial 111 or even 999 to summon assistance.

Lily4798

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the GP again but the receptionist there won’t budge on giving him an earlier appointment and guess what she’s diabetic type 2. She said she didn’t need as much appointments and check ups when she was diagnosed and that is not serious. I’m thinking of taking him down to walk in early in the morning tommorow before work. I hoped that as a diabetic herself she would see the problems we face but guess not