Blood sugars WONT go up! - HELP

LewisBellett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive been type one Diabetic since I was 13/14. I’m now 21, my control has always been excellent.
I’m on Levemir and Novarapid.
For context I usually give myself 20 Levemir @ 6am for the day and 16 @ 6pm at night. I’m active & reguarly workout ect. This normally works fine with me and I may give a unit or two with certain meals If they are carb heavy.
Last Sunday I gave my usual Levemir dose of 20 for the day. Literally all day my blood sugars would not rise, I wasn’t I’ll or anything. I track my food and I had eaten over 400 grams of carbohydrates including 120 sugar throughout the day to try and get them above 4.0.
I had given no nova rapid insulin at all.
After that day I dropped my Levemir to 14 @6am and 7@6pm for the following week. It’s now Saturday and has been working okay and back to usual. However today I’m experiencing the same issue as last weekend, I’m not doing more exercise and I have barely moved all day, I’m usually doing about 10K steps with work but have done 2k so far, so nothing new.
I have currently eaten 180g of carbs and 90g of that being sugar and my levels haven’t gone above 3.4.
I’m totally stumped to why this is happening it’s driving me crazy! Can any one give me any insight as to why and what I can do to fix this?! Thanks!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have you done a basal test?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well it might be worth trying as you can't be spending all day in the 3s.
If your basal looks right then you can move on to checking your bolus ratios.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

LewisBellett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it might be worth trying as you can't be spending all day in the 3s.
If your basal looks right then you can move on to checking your bolus ratios.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.
To be honest usually my blood sugars don’t move if I’m not eating & as long as I’m not moving around a lot so I can’t see it being that.
It’s just strange as I’m usually not having any kind of problems then I’ll randomly get a day like this when nothing has changed, still on the same insulin, no extra activity and they just drop like mad no matter what I’m eating, thanks for the suggestion

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @LewisBellett weekends can be different to week days - less stress, more activity, so it’s advisable to have a different basal pattern to week days, I would only consider basal testing if this was an issue every day.

Personally I take extra care at weekends as I catch up with house work then so need less insulin as I tend to have more hypos at weekends, also less stress as not running around for work so sounds familiar to me.

LewisBellett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LewisBellett weekends can be different to week days - less stress, more activity, so it’s advisable to have a different basal pattern to week days, I would only consider basal testing if this was an issue every day.

Personally I take extra care at weekends as I catch up with house work then so need less insulin as I tend to have more hypos at weekends, also less stress as not running around for work so sounds familiar to me.
I work most weekends so my routine doesn’t really change at all

D

Deleted Account

Your low BG may be the effect of something from a day or two ago.
Have you been doing more exercise than usual this week? Or did you have a night out with drinking (and clubbing)?
If so, a basal test will not represent a “normal” day.

LewisBellett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your low BG may be the effect of something from a day or two ago.
Have you been doing more exercise than usual this week? Or did you have a night out with drinking (and clubbing)?
If so, a basal test will not represent a “normal” day.

No I haven’t done anything different exercise wise, if anything maybe slightly less, it’s a strange one as I’m pretty aware with this stuff but this has stumped me. And haven’t been out drinking or anything no