Blood testing in the UK

zibi1

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to the UK. I'm a T1 and I need to do some routine tests such as Hb1Ac, cholesterol, urine etc. etc.
What should I do? Should I ask my GP to prescribe me these tests? Are the tests done in hospitals?

Thanks for the replies!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Go and see your GP, all the tests will be done at your GP's from a single blood test and maybe a Urine sample. As a Diabetic you should be seen at least annually by your GP or a Nurse for these tests.

If you check out your original post here you will see I gave you all the information you should need there about appointments etc.......

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Really.....it is a basic task that any GP or Nurse should be able to carry out. You surprise me...... :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Our surgery will take blood but you sometimes have to book-up 2 months in advance (yes!) for the phlebotomist so going to the local hospital without an appointment is often best.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
My own surgery takes all bloods as and when, usually the Practice Nurse.......but I usually go to the Hospital Clinic so I don't have to wait long, no appointments, just walk in, grab a number and 10 mins later........I'm off. :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Zibi1

I think it depends on where you are. I live 30 miles from the nearest hospital and all my blood samples are taken at the GP's surgery and sent away for tests. The results are usually all back within a week - often less.

In your place I'd go and ask at your GP's surgery first. They'll tell you what the procedure is.

Viv 8)

anniep

The GP will refer you to wherever the blood is taken, if they don't do it themselves.

Mine doesn't, I have to get a form to take to the local clinic, make an appointment, they take the blood and then send it off to the hospital, who process it and send the results back to my GP. it take a week to 10 days in all.