Blood testing strips on Ebay

tandydog

I've looked on ebay for sellers of blood testing strips. Has anyone else purchased this way? Or should I just stick to buying them in Boots? I have access to Boots and an independant chemist only. Some ebay sellers have the strips I use a good bit cheaper than Boots, the packaging looks like the real thing and I know to ask about the expiry date. Would you buy from ebay???

Thanks

Beryl

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Re: Blood testing stips on Ebay

I buy my test strips on ebay all the time - I have had no problems

iankaye01

hi i have been trying to find the cheapest test strips and all big chemists who charge high prices keep me imformed at what price u paid cheers :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Always buy on eBay had no problems

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

AMBrennan said:
Most T2s cannot.

Which is why we buy them from ebay, I presume from diabetics that do get them on prescription but don't use them and want to make a quick buck.

snowy_barks

I get my strips on ebay.

A lot cheaper, about half the price.

There are some bargains as well, I got 3 Accu chek mobile cassettes, 150 tests, for £10 delivered. They expire at the end of March but that is no problem because I am still testing a lot.

Immis

I use Accu chek Mobile strips too.

Have bought them of ebay, no probs there.

Got 2 cassettes on prescription but the GP will only give them to me on the basis that I test no more than once a day...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

One argument used by some HCPs against prescribing test strips is that "they don't use them - they just stick them on eBay".

So how do you check that the provider is a genuine retailer/wholesaler of medical products and not just some end user who has blagged a presription to make a few quid selling them on?

If there are loads of different retailers who can buy in bulk and then sell on at a profit way below high street prices then why isn't someone in the diabetic community (perhaps even Diabetes.co.uk) bulk buying and then selling on?

If there is a genuine supply route for bulk buying, "Testing Clubs" should be pretty easy to set up.

Or something like Groupon.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

LittleGreyCat said:
One argument used by some HCPs against prescribing test strips is that "they don't use them - they just stick them on eBay".

Sell them on the black market of their own creation? I wonder who they think is buying the strips? It takes buyers and sellers to make a market. If they gave strips to those of us that wanted to test, then we wouldn't have to buy them on the black market. There wouldn't even be a black market.

Elc1112

Oh, I didn't realise type 2s didn't get them on prescription. I'm type 1 so I need to test before/after meals so I can adjust my insulin. Surely they would benefit type 2s as well - you must need to adjust what you're eating etc?! Clearly they are if benefit else you wouldn't be buying them on eBay. Sorry, I'm ranting but it just seems ridiculous that you can't get them from your doctor!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

LittleGreyCat said:

I have heard this also, I suppose you could check the box to see if there's any damage where the dispensary label is usually placed.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Question remains - where are the sellers getting the strips?

And if they can, then why can't we?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tandydog
i have bought from eBay, but stopped after i bougth a pack which had obviously been prescribed and dispensed to someone. I thought that was very wrong. I now buy direct from the suppliers of my meter. It's much cheaper and i get superb service, including meter maintenance free.. Find your meter supplier's website on line. i think they are all pretty ood. Don't buy from Boots! [I've nothing against Boots, except their prices]
Hana

tandydog

I'm bidding on some on ebay, fingers crossed x x
Will try asking again for strips from practice nurse at least one strip a day will be better than none. Accu check testing strips that is :oops:

tandydog

I'm bidding on some on ebay, fingers crossed x x
Will try asking again for strips from practice nurse at least one strip a day will be better than none. Accu check testing strips that is :oops:

tandydog

hanadr said:
tandydog
i have bought from eBay, but stopped after i bougth a pack which had obviously been prescribed and dispensed to someone. I thought that was very wrong. I now buy direct from the suppliers of my meter. It's much cheaper and i get superb service, including meter maintenance free.. Find your meter supplier's website on line. i think they are all pretty ood. Don't buy from Boots! [I've nothing against Boots, except their prices]
Hana

Just read this post Hana. Will try Accu-chek direct. I live on an island, so not much choice in chemists. Thanks for advice.

Beryl

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found on ebay that the people who sell say four boxes at once are traders who must get them wholesale. You can also look at their feedback and you can see that they sell lots of strips of different makes so are not people who are getting them on prescription, not testing and making a profit out of Type 2's who can't get strips prescribed.

I sometimes buy one box and then find that the box is all sticky from where the prescription label was and this makes me cross. If the seller is also selling baby clothes then it may be someone who had gestational diabetes and now no longer needs the strips.

I do have stips on my repeat prescription, but my doctor is not keen on me using them, so I only order them every 4 months - 150 strips per year. So the rest I get from ebay.