Type 1.5 Bolus after a meal

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m finding I have to bolus after meals regardless of what it is and wondering if that’s ‘normal’
Is it possible to have slow digestion without having the symptoms of gastroparesis?
The meals aren’t particularly high fat or excess protein based but I tend to go low before the food kicks in if I bolus before or as I eat.
I still haven’t been able to master pasta, rice, noodles etc as I have no idea when to inject for them when high GI food (bread, biscuits, potatoes) need a bolus approx 20 mins after finishing eating (and even then can start to go low) I do pre-bolus breakfast although that’s starting to change now too?
Thanks!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm not sure what insulins you are on, but here are some ideas to discuss with your DN: I inject before eating and wait for my BS to drop 0.3 mmol/l on my Libre (a Bernstein directive) no matter what the meal is. If I was worried about my blood sugars dropping further, I would eat a spoonful of fresh fruit and yoghurt as a snack before starting my meal. If I think the meal will not digest quickly, I would 'split my dose' and give 2/3 to 1/2 before the meal, what until my blood sugars rose above [6 - for me] mmol/l and give the remaining 1/3 or 1/2. Good luck.

Reactions: JMoli

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Some theories out there are when you are newer diagnosed put on insulin, that it gives your panceas a break and you start making some more insulin again. It's that honeymoon period that just makes it more difficult to dose. That would be my guess.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some theories out there are when you are newer diagnosed put on insulin, that it gives your panceas a break and you start making some more insulin again. It's that honeymoon period that just makes it more difficult to dose. That would be my guess.

Thanks, I’m not enjoying this honeymoon period at all! My carb ratios go up and down every few days, my basal has been up and down and back up (with nurses advice) and I just don’t know where I am half the time or even how to eat. Carb ratio is currently 1:25 but probably only for two days before it’s up at 1.35 or down at 1:15. Is it always this tricky?

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what insulins you are on, but here are some ideas to discuss with your DN: I inject before eating and wait for my BS to drop 0.3 mmol/l on my Libre (a Bernstein directive) no matter what the meal is. If I was worried about my blood sugars dropping further, I would eat a spoonful of fresh fruit and yoghurt as a snack before starting my meal. If I think the meal will not digest quickly, I would 'split my dose' and give 2/3 to 1/2 before the meal, what until my blood sugars rose above [6 - for me] mmol/l and give the remaining 1/3 or 1/2. Good luck.

Thanks, that’s interesting about waiting for the drop. Does yoghurt give you a quicker boost? I’m still struggling to find something to lift me up quickly that’s not jelly babies or fruit juice. Split bolus does seem quite a lot of trial and error, I’ll have another shot once my carb ratio settles (keeps changing every few days at the moment)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks, that’s interesting about waiting for the drop. Does yoghurt give you a quicker boost? I’m still struggling to find something to lift me up quickly that’s not jelly babies or fruit juice. Split bolus does seem quite a lot of trial and error, I’ll have another shot once my carb ratio settles (keeps changing every few days at the moment)
DAFNE recommends fresh fruit. I tend to have slices of apples or blueberries, but kefir yoghurt I find faster.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Fresh fruit because of the fiber content isn't as fast though as jelly babies and fruit juice. But some of the quickest fruits for me are dates, watermelon, grapes and pineapple.

I always keep a bowl of fresh pineapple cut up in the refrigerator, but I have access to pineapples all year round. But I have found I will reach for them if it's easy to grab them over jelly babies (called ***** bears here). And I like to eat pineapple everyday anyways. But I still have to resort to ***** bears out and about if I need something. Some people use smarties or skittles. Pineapple is really good if you've stayed on an exercise bike too long trying to get in your miles for the day. :angelic:

I didn't know there was even a thing as a honeymoon period or it probably would have explained a lot of things. But I was misdiagnosed. Things do get easier.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE recommends fresh fruit. I tend to have slices of apples or blueberries, but kefir yoghurt I find faster.

Thanks, I’ll maybe try that - it’s good for the gut too isn’t it. I’ve tried blueberries and apple but don’t get a rise but will try others as I would rather have that than sweets. It’s funny, I’ve been terrified of fruit, other than berries, since diagnosis but it doesn’t seem to cause the high spikes I thought it would.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fresh fruit because of the fiber content isn't as fast though as jelly babies and fruit juice. But some of the quickest fruits for me are dates, watermelon, grapes and pineapple.

I always keep a bowl of fresh pineapple cut up in the refrigerator, but I have access to pineapples all year round. But I have found I will reach for them if it's easy to grab them over jelly babies (called ***** bears here). And I like to eat pineapple everyday anyways. But I still have to resort to ***** bears out and about if I need something. Some people use smarties or skittles. Pineapple is really good if you've stayed on an exercise bike too long trying to get in your miles for the day. :angelic:

I didn't know there was even a thing as a honeymoon period or it probably would have explained a lot of things. But I was misdiagnosed. Things do get easier.

Thanks, pineapple sounds so good and I might try grapes. I’ve heard them called sugar-bombs before so I have avoided them! So far I’ve tried satsumas, peaches, all berries and apples and not had a rise - pretty much cut out fruit after diagnosis but it’s good to know it’s not a problem for me and maybe the ‘scarier’ ones will give a small rise when I need it.