Bolus after food

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi girls, dsn and consultant have decided I should only bolus after I have eaten as I am still struggling a lot with appetite due to nausea or when I do eat keeping it down, I understand this makes sense but the spikes it will incur is bugging me. Was anyone else told to do this? My a1c is down from 46 to 39 and they said it is partly due to the amount of hypos I am having, I have had hardly any readings in double figures which I am pleased about but now I'm thinking this will happen most days if I am bolusing late and am having something fairly carby, I don't usually have that many carbs but since being pregnant and the sickness starting I'm finding it's the best thing to ease my stomach. They did say I need to stop being hard on myself as the slightest reading above say 7/8 is freaking me out and I have been correcting when I get to them numbers which they have told me to stop its just annoying seeing them numbers and wanting them to be 'perfect'

Just wanted to share what is going on with me, hope everyone is well X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was never told to bolus after eating.

When I was nauseous, I tended to choose 'safe' food like mashed potato that I knew wouldn't make me feel sick. I do remember not being able to finish a couple of meals (pasta was one of those) but I just ate a biscuit or two to make up the meal to the amount of carbs I'd bolused for. Once I'd just bolused for a mid-morning carby snack but suddenly felt really sick so on that occasion I chewed some Haribos and then tested a few times to see how my blood sugar was because I didn't know exactly how many carbs there were in the sweets.

I completely understand your fear of highs. Pregnancy is such a responsibility. I hated having spikes after meals too, and I did do lots of correction doses, especially later on in pregnancy when insulin resistance makes blood sugar trickier to control. I did have some highs though - things like 10 or 11. I think it's basically impossible to be perfect all the time. There'll always be some highs.

You sound like you're doing really well :)

Reactions: 2 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you bolus half before eating and the other half afterwards? At least then your bloods won't go as high.

I eat more carbs now than before being pregnant and in the first trimester this helped with sickness a bit.

I tend to panic when I see anything above 7.8 and then I correct. It does mean sometimes I send myself low, but to be honest I would rather be low than high!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah that's exactly my thoughts, if I go low I can just sip some lucozade n be sorted in a few minutes but they are saying they can't see my patterns if I'm correcting an 8 but I just do not like 8+ readings! Lol

I like the sound of the half n half I might try that, tonight I got half way through my tea and knew I was going to manage to eat it all so just did the bolus then, I daren't test until at least 2 hours later Coz I don't wanna know what's happening in that 2 hours but the way I was doing it I'd be say 5.6 2 hours later, where last nights first time of trying I was 7.7 which I know is ok but then I started thinking oh god so what was I 1 hour ago!? I know I've still got active insulin going on at that point and it will come down a bit more but like I say I'd rather be the 5.6 n have 1 jelly baby/sip of lucozade n be sorted. They totally didn't understand my system of coping at the hospital lol

I now know pizza is totally no no after I really fancied a Pizza Hut at the weekend, did my usual set the pump to do a dual wave bolus because of the carb/fat but I battled 10's hours and hours after so I'd rather just give it a miss for the foreseeable future lol

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My nemesis is Chinese food. I battled 8-10s for a few hours after that! Not eating it again till the baby is born! Pizza I rarely eat as I seem to be hungrier after eating it.

Sounds like you're doing a good job with your sugar levels. It's hard work but will be worth it!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, still a longgggg way to go and I know it will get harder but I'm doing my best

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I suffered bad sickness with my twin pregnancy and consultant did in the end advise to bolus once I knew I could keep it down.
I tried to keep a low gi diet too to stop spikes.
With both pregnancies I was so conscious of having higher bs and like you I would rather be lower than higher as low bloods don't harm babies but highs do.
I tested lots it's the only way I felt in control.
x