1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Book Corner.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Guzzler, Jul 4, 2017.

1. wolfie11969

wolfie11969 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've read Lady of Hay in the past week about Matilda de Broase and her relationship with King John.

Now picked up a book called Sarum by Edward Ruthefurd about Salisbury plain. I've only just started it so cant say so far what its like. I did read Rutherfurd's book called London and that was good fun so hoping this one is the same. On the basis that London was a good book I went and purchased all the other books Rutherfurd wrote including New York, Paris, Dublin, Russka and the New Forest.

Basically he picks somewhere and writes the history behind it using different family trees. Worth a read

2. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

been wanting to read that doctors book for a while

3. SlimLizzy

think i would like to read this book.

4. wolfie11969

try your local library once it is open, that's where I sourced it from. I enjoyed it

5. SlimLizzy

Am living in France, but not yet able to read novels in French.

6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't they have English books in French libraries? Dutch libraries, even the small ones, have books in other languages. Mainly English, but also French and German. They also have a system where you can order books from other libraries to be delivered to your library, thus creating quite a big library, even in foreign languages.

7. SlimLizzy

Good idea. I might try that , when i have some spare time

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. wolfie11969

Have finished Sarum - pretty good read.

Now back to Last Kingdom series so reading The Empty Throne. Got myself a bit cofuzzled at the beginning but now it has worked itself out.

9. Yellredder

Yellredder Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Finished Invisible Women, finally, a hard but interesting read. Followed by The Testaments and I've started another Margaret Atwood that I can't remember what it's called! Also started The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of The Window and Disappeared, which is quite entertaining!

10. wolfie11969

Havent done much reading over the past few weeks, been watching more tv and trying to decorate the house.

Have picked up the next Bernard Cornwell book called Warriors of the Storm. I think I have about another 4 to go to get myself up to date.

Looking forward to getting to Waterstones and the library to source more to read

11. Mummybear3

Mummybear3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve just finished “why mummy doesn’t give a fxxk” the third of three books I have never laughed as much in my life whilst reading. I can completely relate to her literature

12. wolfie11969

Reading A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer. Only a couple of chapters in.

Was one of my charity shop finds.

Hubby has just bought me another copy of an old 80's book called Swan Song by Robert McCammon. I did have an original but dont know where it went and if I could find it I could get myself a couple of hundred pounds off the good old internet

13. wolfie11969

Finished A Prisoner of Birth - really enjoyed it.

Now reading War Cry by Wilbur Smith featuring David Churchill (another writer I enjoy). I have a few other things to do before I can start this one so looking forward to some down time.

14. wolfie11969

I have to say I was a bit silly with War Cry as there are 2 other books prior to that I havent read as yet. Now to source them

So I'm now reading Whiteout by Ken Follett. Only a couple of chapters in so we will see how it pans out

15. wolfie11969

Finished Whiteout - it was OK

Reading another Follett book called Hornet Flight. Again only a few chapters in so we shall see how this goes. Might read some today in the garden while hubby cuts the lawn

16. wolfie11969

Just started Dunstan by Conn Iggulden. Havent read anything by this author before although I do believe on my e-reader hubby has put some of his other books.

I enjoyed Hornet Flight by Ken Follett - well worth a go if you like espionage around the war and definately if you like heritage airplanes.

17. streem26

streem26 Prediabetes · Active Member

I read Call Me By Your Name this summer. then I read a book series, the “Like Us” series by Becca and Krista Richie. There are 7 books so far and it’s a fast and easy read. .
    I've also been continuing my pleasure reading Papercrafts: The best of card creations

#397 streem26, Aug 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  18. wolfie11969

Bought another 3 books yesterday. One by Maeve Binchy cus they are easy to read, one by Conn Iggulden and the other has slipped my mind but it's about Rome. 3 for a £1 in the local charity shop. Also bought some children's books for my granddaughter. Hoping she follows the craze and enjoys reading instead of relying on tech

19. wolfie11969

Finished Dunstan. It was OK. I had fun reading the author's notes at the end of the book. Made me want to read more by the same author.

I've picked up an easy book to read but again sure I've read it before.

Reading Pandora by Jilly Cooper - told you it was an easy book

20. wolfie11969

Read Pandora - what a brief glance of fresh air.

I now have a library book by Ben Kane called LionHeart. Bet you cant work out who the character is?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook