Bread ideas

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
Hi all. I'm trying to give up bread as it's by far my biggest carb intake. I know there are other bread options can anybody make any suggestions? Thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s Livlife bread from Waitrose, small slices but just 3.8g carbs per slice or Burgen soya and linseed bread, bigger slices at 11.8g carbs per slice

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi all. I'm trying to give up bread as it's by far my biggest carb intake. I know there are other bread options can anybody make any suggestions? Thank you.
Hi Dontwanttoo,
I just want to say that you need to know yourself regarding Carbs.
For some it is like an addiction (some people such as Dr Unwin say it can be an actual addiction).
Thus for some it is better to go the 'cold Turkey' route that is advised for Alcoholics by Alcoholics Anonymous rather than trying to find less harmful variations on their addictive carby food item.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll very occasionally buy Livlife, and I had the more expensive Carbzone bread a few times, but generally if I fancy some I'll bake my own low carb "bread" using nut or seed meal/flour, and which takes just a few minutes in the microwave.

You could also try the forum search option as bread is a fairly common topic for discussion, or for suitable low carb recipes try Diet Doctor or Google.

Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Burgen Soya or Hovis Low carb. Up to strictly two slices maximum per day and often none at all.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have TESCO’s High Protein or Hovis Sunflower and Pumpkin Seed - both 10g carbs per slice but when loaded with filling or toasted with a couple of eggs one slice is enough.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I'm trying to give up bread as it's by far my biggest carb intake.
I had a huge bread addiction and still get triggered by anything with a bread like texture so I just stopped having it completely and eat nicer stuff instead.
If you have that kind of reaction I'd recommend stopping completely and not looking for "bread" substitutes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me all the bread substitutes are a bit of a contradiction in terms e.g. military intelligence, a soft Brexit or vegan cheese.
My solution to my addiction is to allow myself some on Fridays.

Reactions: ianf0ster

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my solution depends very much on whether a person has an 'addictive' attitude towards bread. I don't like the 'alternatives' as they seem very light and hardly worth bothering with. I like a big old chunk of sourdough (I prefer wholemeal), then I scoop out the bready bit and eat the crust! This is still around 10 carbs but I would rather have half a slice of this than a whole slice or two of fresh air. It takes a fair amount of discipline though. :)