Breakfast Cereal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV soaps
Please help. I have type 2 and am having trouble controlling my bg levels. My problem is that I also have Diverticulitis and cannot tolerate fibre or wholemeal products. I have eggs for breakfast and porridge with semi-skimmed milk, no sugar and cinnamon. But is there any cereal I could have for a change?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer... No. Cereals are usually wheat/rice/corn based, with added sugars. Long answer, you might make some yourself using chopped nuts and stuff like extra dark chocolate chips or berries? Any reason why the milk is semi-skimmed? Full fat slows down the carb uptake and prevents spikes. (Full fat greek yoghurt would be even better!)

D

Deleted Account

We are all different.
Whilst the carbs in cereal affects the BG of most of us with diabetes, you may find that the impact on yours is manageable.
Unfortunately, the only way to tell is test, eat and then test 2 hours later.

Typically, (but not true for everyone), fat slows the absorption of carbs (and the impact on BG) and sugar speeds it up.

But, sounds like time for your to do some experimenting to find out what you can manage.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV soaps
Short answer... No. Cereals are usually wheat/rice/corn based, with added sugars. Long answer, you might make some yourself using chopped nuts and stuff like extra dark chocolate chips or berries? Any reason why the milk is semi-skimmed? Full fat slows down the carb uptake and prevents spikes. (Full fat greek yoghurt would be even better!)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV soaps
I thought semi-skimmed would help with weight loss especially as my husband has high cholesterol . During the day I eat really healthily (I think). Salad and fruit for lunch. 1 slice white bread. Dinner is meat and 2 veg and fruit and plain yoghurt. No snacks. I only drink water and black tea and coffee. I am desperate. Help.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a keto coconut porridge recipe on Dietdoctor (sorry I don't have a link to that website). It is delicious, made with cocnut flour and healthy fats and versatile. I have it with a few berries or chopped nuts but cinnamon sounds good.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought semi-skimmed would help with weight loss especially as my husband has high cholesterol . During the day I eat really healthily (I think). Salad and fruit for lunch. 1 slice white bread. Dinner is meat and 2 veg and fruit and plain yoghurt. No snacks. I only drink water and black tea and coffee. I am desperate. Help.

Okay.... That isn't exactly low carb, but then, I don't know how low you want to go. Do you test before a meal and 2 hours after? Because that can tell you just how bad your insulin-resistance is, and how far you have to go to modify your meals. (If you go up more than 2 mmol/l, the meal was too carby for your pancreas to process back out.).

Thing is, what you're eating righ now doesn't seem sustainable in the long run because honestly, you sound absolutely miserable on your current diet.

Point one: Check Dietdoctor.com for recipies. There's a world of good stuff out there that won't spike you and tastes wonderful.

Point two: learn what's carby and what's not. Bread (Brown, white, any) is carby, as are potatoes, corn, rice, cereals, pasta, wraps, anything made with dough. So if you can scratch those, or look for the low carb breads or konjac pasta, go for it. Above ground, leafy greens are great, so your salad's good. Fruit is very high in fructose save for a moderate amount of berries. (The vitamins from them can be found in veggies too, so you won't be missing anything if you cancel out the fruit and compensate with an extra helping of veg). Eggs, mushrooms, sausages, cold cuts, olives, nuts... Cheese is good, as is bacon. Yeah, bacon. You mentioned cholesterol, but a TINY little amount of cholesterol comes from diet. 2 percent or something, from the top of my head. It doesn't really make an impact. Our own bodies produce the stuff, and if your husband has high cholesterol he might be wanting to join you on this journey. (Especially if you, he, or both of you suffer from fatty liver disease as well. It's kinda part and parcel with T2 in any case.). I was on statins for a few months (which made my life hell with the side effects), and on low carb, high fat, I could ditch them because my cholesterol got better as I lost weight. Besides that, cholesterol, in recent studies, is turning out not to be such a baddy after all. As a T2, fat is your friend. I mean, I have bacon once or twice a day. Keeps me from going hunrgy and it tastes great. I went from well over 102 kilo's -I stopped weighing myself at that point, too depressing- to 76, and still losing weight. I'm not tired all the time anymore, I'm not fighting never-ending infections, I can actually walk fair distances now without collapsing into a weeping heap... My fatty liver is getting better, my eyesight has improved, my HbA1c is 34... And I'm just one person. It goes got a lot of folks here.

For me, meals look like this: Eggs, bacon, cheese and mushrooms. Sometimes some cherry tomaties tossed in for variation. (You could add sausages too). Salads with either tuna, goat's cheese or salmon, with things added like olives, bacon, capers, mayonaise or a good wine vinigar/olive oil. Maybe some celery or cherry tomatoes again. In the evening I usually have some sort of meat or fish with cauliflower rice or broccoli rice with bacon (there it is again!) and cheese. Only this past week have I added some full-fat yoghurt, but don't actually need it, just because I like it. Snacks for me are olives, cheese, extra dark chocolate, walnuts, pecans, cold cuts, celery with a little hummus etc. Like you, my bowels have something to say about things like chia and other seeds, and it seems like psylium husks are in the same camp (AUCH!!!), which I only discovered after buying two whopping pots of the stuff, but there's still enough out there we can munch on. As for drinks, I'm drinking a lot of tea. Sometimes a little bit of goat's milk with some butter and water added, dash of cinnamon and a tiiiny little amount of sweeteners. (Sweeteners don't agree with everyone. Again, that's something you'll find out when you test.) Bulletproof coffee is so good, even if the recipy looks revolting. It's surprisingly delish. There are flavored sparkling waters with no carbs or sweeteners, and if you test, who knows, you might get away with a pepsi max or something. You can add cream to your coffee and tea, (better than milk, because again, slows down sugar spikes AND makes you feel full.).

I'm not a kitchen princess. Once I find something that works for me, I stick with it. But if you do love to cook, check out Diet Doctor's recipies for Fathead Pizza, mug cakes, and what have you. There's really a whole lot of variety out there and you don't have to not enjoy food. Heck, I went to McD's this weekend and had a burger. Without the bun, it's low carb!

Going low carb for diabetes is a lifestyle change you have to be able to stick with. And that's not going to work if your relationship with food is wonky and stressed. You could go for meds, and/or insulin, it's all a viable option, but if you want to tackle it through diet and reverse the condition, you need to be able to stick with it in the long term. And the only way to do that, is to eat things you enjoy. get some happiness back at the dinnertable. So find out what you like within the low carb spectrum. And check if there are things you realy, really want, but can't have anymore if you want to watch the carbs, and see if there are alternatives for those. Like courgetti instead of spaghetti.

Good luck!
Jo

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would highly recommend you go to:
Forums Diabetes Discussion Newly Diagnosed There is so much information there. It starts you at the beginning rather than in the middle - getting much too much info, much too fast. @daisy1 will send you some basic info.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@linda k powell

Hello Linda and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be the only person who doesn’t like coconut porridge - there again I wasn’t keen on the infamous Lidl Low carb rolls either!!!

I hate coconut anything, and never liked porridge either, so you aren't the only person. :)

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really wish I could have cereal. But to be honest (and it's still taken me a long time to get my head around this), cereal is the worst food for me and BG levels.

Worse for me than rice, or potatoes, or bread, or bananas, or any of the usual suspects, which will spike my numbers into the 10-16s range. And 3 bowls of Special K (without the milk, because we have semiskimmed at home and I know that's bad for me so I have cream in my coffee!)...? I was at 21 two hours later.

Have a read around this forum, and daisy1's advice is really invaluable. It is all about what works for you and the only way to really know is to have a blood glucose meter and test before and after you eat and then you can adjust your meal accordingly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal take on breakfast is sausages - the Co-op has some good ones. I get the packs of 10, 3 for dinner and 2 for lunch next day - the ones we have already tried have been as nice cold as hot.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the form @linda k powell . If you have not already purchased for yourself a bg meter then may I recommend that you do so - it will let you know what your body is doing with the last meal that you ate. Test before a meal and 2 hours later and if possible keep a record of what you have eaten, I used a simple spreadsheet. It is tiresome initially but pays dividends in the long run because you can then develop a diet that suits you and patterns soon emerge. Dietdoctor has lots of information that is available free. Dairy foods are your friends, it seems contrary to everything we have been told over the last few decades, and may mean that you can eat a few 'treats' and I have found a surprising variety of cheeses with added horseradish/fruits etc available locally; a square of high quality chocolate, a few fruits with full fat Greek style yoghurt. Good luck with your journey.