Breakfast.....cereals

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you have for brekky?

I knew Shredded wheat was low sugar compared to other cereals but compared to Weetabix it is higher in carbs, do i alternate the 2?

one cereal the wife has is 5 times the sugars of weetabix

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is either yoghurt or scrambled eggs and bacon, sometimes pancakes on a Saturday. Both Weetabix and Shredded wheat would send my BG into strataspheric regions. I used to enjoy both of them and porridge on rotation until my latest diabetes review!

Reactions: Petrolhead276

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Personally, I don't eat cereal, but prefer omelettes (Many ways to make an omelette) or bacon and eggs, sausage, many different ways to eat eggs etc. Much greater range of beneficial nutrients then what is found in cereals in general. And far tastier imo. I'm just not a fan of foods that place a burden on the pancreas like cereal.

Omelettes are pretty quick, takes me 10 mins to make one.

www.dietdoctor.com has some good breakfast options worth checking out if you like.

Reactions: Petrolhead276

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
recovering from a minor heart attack 3 weeks ago and stent so i think bacon is off the menu

im finding i cant face the typical dinner (meat+2) as well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You would do better to cut them both out. The carb amounts are humongous, not to mention the milk that is added. They will not be doing your blood sugars any good at all.

I have eggs or just a coffee with cream. No carbs to speak of at all is my best breakfast. It is the worst time of day for carbs.

Reactions: stevenkpalmer

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
recovering from a minor heart attack 3 weeks ago and stent so i think bacon is off the menu

Not sure why bacon is off the menu, but is there a reason you can't face a typical dinner? Lack of appetite? Some other reason?

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure why bacon is off the menu, but is there a reason you can't face a typical dinner? Lack of appetite? Some other reason?

bacon off to avoid meat fat?

the roast dinners seem to make me feel sick now

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
bacon off to avoid meat fat?

the roast dinners seem to make me feel sick now

Perhaps the feeling sick is because you are still recovering from a rather traumatic event and surgery. Last surgery I had a month ago was pretty minor stuff, but it took me a while to get back to eating normally again.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Rachox has a link to a recipe for low carb porridge that is lovely, have it plain or with a few berries. Wonderful stuff.

Reactions: Rachox

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

Why is bacon off the menu??

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The old and typical advice to avoid saturated fat with regards to heart health and weight loss is being widely questioned,debated and refuted by the medical profession. Dr Aseem Malhotra, a highly regarded cardiologist is just one of these. One example of that is how advice that eggs should limited then that was revoked. Dietary fat/cholesterol has little negative effect on heart health apparently.

I’d not bother looking at sugar labels but at carbohydrates. Some carbs for some diabetics can be even worse for blood levels than sugar eg grains. If you reduce energy intake from carbs then you still need energy and that comes from fat instead. Nuts, avocados, olive oil, dairy - like butter and cream - and meat are just a few. Avoid seed oils though like vegetable oil, sunflower, canola, safflower etc it may not need to be huge amounts just ditching the low fat rubbish full,of chemicals and sugar is often enough especially if you are “wearing” some spare fat that could be used instead.

M

Member496333

Cereals are basically candy. A quarter of pear drops for breakfast would likely illicit a lower glycemic response. With the benefit of hindsight it boggles my mind that we switched from eating food in the morning, over to eating man-made bowls of refined carbohydrate and sugar.

Personally I would avoid at all costs, but that’s just my view and people are encouraged to disagree if they wish.

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
normally we are up at 6am, i wouldnt skip breakfast but something quick and easy is needed before i go out, i drive for 2 hours and am then back home, cereal looked to be 1 answer...

Reactions: catarinagallo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my quick regulars isa version of scrambled egg. 2 or 3 eggs handful of grated cheddar, large splash of double cream and a squirt of mustard. 2 mins in microwave and job done. Tastes “less eggy” than normal scrambled which didn’t appeal to me much. I think it’s the mustard but it’s not too obvious.