Breakfast.....cereals

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't like eggs for breakfast, so instead of my usual toast and marmalade or porridge I worked out a mix of milled flaxseed, chia and oatbran, cooked with water and coconut milk, then served with cream and cinnamon. Even with a milky coffee it is only about 17g of carbs.
I started with a little more oatbran as I find the chia seeds texture a little off-putting then over time increased the flaxseed and chai and reduced the oatbran.

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
I am newly diagnosed and was told somewhere, probably the hand out booklet from GP that weetabix or shredded wheat for breakfast. I hate breakfast tbh but as I have to take tablet with food in am, I have forced myself to have weetabix. fortunately I use soya milk and have found stevia excellent instead of fruit/sugar. From this post, are the 2 cereals mentioned not good then? I am hungry mid morning and have wondered whether the regime is actually helping me. I cant imagine having an omlette for breakfast but could probably force a boiled egg down (pre done, ie grab from fridge)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed and was told somewhere, probably the hand out booklet from GP that weetabix or shredded wheat for breakfast. I hate breakfast tbh but as I have to take tablet with food in am, I have forced myself to have weetabix. fortunately I use soya milk and have found stevia excellent instead of fruit/sugar. From this post, are the 2 cereals mentioned not good then? I am hungry mid morning and have wondered whether the regime is actually helping me. I cant imagine having an omlette for breakfast but could probably force a boiled egg down (pre done, ie grab from fridge)

No cereals are good for T2 diabetics. Do you have a meter yet? If not, I suggest you buy one as soon as possible. You can then test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite to see instantly what that food has done to your levels. They are our best tool.

If you don't normally eat a breakfast, that is fine. In fact it is good. Is it just the Metformin you have to take in the morning? If so there is no reason at all why you shouldn't take it later in the day when you do eat. If you still prefer to take it in the morning you can have some cheese, or a boiled egg or two, or both. Have a look on your cereal packets for the total carb amount. It is horrific. Anything above 10g per 100g (10%) carbs is not a good idea unless you only have a teaspoonful.

All carbs turn to sugar once in the digestive system, and sugar is what we do not need. We already have too much! It is a strange thing, but carbs make us hungry. Proteins and fats fill us up. Currently I last all morning on either a coffee with double cream or one single soft boiled egg and a cup of tea without being hungry at all.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really bad advice - all those carbs just so you can swallow a tablet?
I used to avoid breakfast, but now I can feel a sense of gleeful anticipation as I open the fridge door....
I do only eat twice a day, and not a lot - so my salad, stir fry or bit of meat or fish are eagerly awaited.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The hospital I was in (heart attack) had a menu but the only condition with no advised choices was diabetes (2 lines on back said "ask")

So i cut back, no toast/jam, and had weetabix, the porridge option was an an instant oatie tub which previously ive found to be worse than most cereals whereas proper porridge was OK but the trolley couldnt have made it i suppose

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
looking at pitta bread as a substitute for standard bread

feel the pain.

guys are quite right, to just ditch altogether...

but i can't...(or don't really want to, :bigtears: )

ryvita fills that spot now..stays fresh for ages, one slice 5gm carbs..lashings of butter..yum.

Reactions: Dearbhla

JoeyJava

Hello, this just appeared on my homepage, and I think this may be relevant.

I've de-choed now due to other chronic conditions and compounding effects on my digestive system (not diabetic afaik)

Long story short, my replacement for cereals would be mixed nuts and seeds - got this little Tupperware box and a ~30g scoop inside which is ideal for taking into hospital as well.

Also I need unsweetened soya milk, can't have any with maltodextrin in. Most do. Shouldn't be allowed to imo.

Best wishes, and I hope this helps.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't do low carb:
I depend on (toasted)nuts n seeds as a bulk in my home made granola, but different to JoeyJava's in that I use lotsa ground almonds, toasted coconut, with .scraped orange peel and lotsa toasted fennel. for flavour. Add oil n sweetener. Add up the weights, figure out a rough weight and carb amount for half a mug of the stuff, that with fruit = any meal. It takes me at least an hour to make up this granola every month, gotta watch it like a hawk as it toasts.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do low carb:
I depend on (toasted)nuts n seeds as a bulk in my home made granola, but different to JoeyJava's in that I use lotsa ground almonds, toasted coconut, with .scraped orange peel and lotsa toasted fennel. for flavour. Add oil n sweetener. Add up the weights, figure out a rough weight and carb amount for half a mug of the stuff, that with fruit = any meal. It takes me at least an hour to make up this granola every month, gotta watch it like a hawk as it toasts.
Probably is pretty low carb though. I do a deliberately low carb version that sounds pretty similar that I have with full fat Greek yogurt for a bit of variety.