Breakfast ideas

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can hardboil eggs beforehand and keep them in the fridge, then add a little Hellmans mayonnaise (careful with supermarket own-brands as some have additives that aren't good for T2) for a quick, delicious and filling breakfast. Or you can keep some cold meat of any kind (not supermarket sliced meat as it has added sugar and often starch too) or cheese.

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
24.9? Is that in mmol/L? Is there a professional you can talk to within time and budget? Despite what I said earlier I personally wouldn't be eating bran flakes if my level was 24.9 mmol/L. I'd probably be taking myself to hospital :(
That is is mmol/L and the hospital don't care as I don't present any ketones in my blood. Last time I went up the hospital with high blood sugar was 2-3 weeks ago and they let me go home even though my blood sugars were +18 and ran out of Tresiba.

Going up the hospital is a waste of time and money for me, which I do not have the budget for, as I had spent £25 in taxis going to the hospital for that day, which is the equivalent of 2 weeks worth of food shopping for me.

• Hug
Reactions: Guilty and EllieM

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is is mmol/L and the hospital don't care as I don't present any ketones in my blood. Last time I went up the hospital with high blood sugar was 2-3 weeks ago and they let me go home even though my blood sugars were +18 and ran out of Tresiba.

Going up the hospital is a waste of time and money for me, which I do not have the budget for, as I had spent £25 in taxis going to the hospital for that day, which is the equivalent of 2 weeks worth of food shopping for me.
Well the hospital needs to take responsibility then. Somehow make them, that's their job. I know that can be hard -- I have Asperger's and other conditions that make it difficult for me to be assertive -- but you deserve better treatment than that. I'm sorry, I'm angry now and can't think what to write. You paid good money for a service that I think you should be getting. Not getting sent home with hyperglycaemia and no Tresiba. I'm sorry I just find that ridiculous. I care for you and so should they

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you have someone who can go to hospital with you? Because I think you need those levels (ketones or not) sorted out before worrying about bran flakes :(

Reactions: eventhorizon

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have someone who can go to hospital with you? Because I think you need those levels (ketones or not) sorted out before worrying about bran flakes :(
I don't. All I can do is ring up my DN and wait for a voicemail or callback. I'm also waiting on a callback tomorrow from my GP to discuss my blood test results and hba1c.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't. All I can do is ring up my DN and wait for a voicemail or callback. I'm also waiting on a callback tomorrow from my GP to discuss my blood test results and hba1c.
Well all I can say is that I'm here anytime you need me. I think your healthcare system needs to help you a little bit better but that's just an opinion.

Reactions: akindrat18

angehud1977

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Similar to you, I’ve given up breakfast and only have coffee first thing, but I usually eat around 11:30 after the dog walk. Things like cheese, tuna, ham eggs and sometimes have it on low carb toast.
Interesting. Do you do any insulin injections in the morning?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. Do you do any insulin injections in the morning?
I take 48 units of Novorapid and 80 units of Lantus (previously Tresiba). Got told by my DN that Lantus and Tresiba are pretty much the same thing.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well all I can say is that I'm here anytime you need me. I think your healthcare system needs to help you a little bit better but that's just an opinion.
I know they do. My podiatrist was the one who told me about my hba1c and was straight on the phone to my doctors. I'm still waiting to be seen a Urologist and a Lymphedema clinic, but I keep on getting push backed appointments. I was also expected to go for a MRI scan on a early Sunday morning, but it was scheduled at a County hospital that was too far out to get to.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also expected to go for a MRI scan on a early Sunday morning, but it was scheduled at a County hospital that was too far out to get to.
Hi @akindrat18 I really hope you find this post helpful and not bold or cheeky. Do you know about the patient advocate service? ://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/someone-to-speak-up-for-you-advocate
They can be a big help with things like making sure you are seen at places you can get to.

Edited to add I'm not sure why the link doesn't look like a link but you can just google nhs patient advocate

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been struggling with finding a suitable breakfast to have, as today I've had a actimel yoghurt drink at 8:30am and at work 2 bacon rashers, 2 sausages, 2 eggs and cheese just now.

I'm on insulin and test my blood sugars twice a day. I normally have weetabix or other type of breakfast cereal.

I can't stomach having hot food at home early in the morning at 7am, as I end up on the toilet before I set off for work and be late getting in.
I like to make a mix of eggs beaten with chopped tomatoes, spinach, peppers or anything you like. I also add black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, and chilli flakes. Sometimes some cheese too. Pour into greased or case lined muffin tins and bake (not sure how long, 10/15 mins maybe, until they look done!) You can eat them hot but they're great cold so I'm thinking for you to make in advance and they are ready to go for breakfasts. You can add anything to them or simply have the eggs. You can also make them by adding ingredients to the muffin trays and cracking an egg over. Still great cold the next day!

Reactions: Outlier and Antje77

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some eggs and bacon topped with cheese last night for my tea and my blood sugar before that meal was 12.3. Woke up this morning at 6:30am and got to work without any breakfast.

Had a call with the hospital doctor just now, who is getting me some more test strips prescribed and a urgent face to face appointment with my diabetes teams as my last review was in May and should have had one in September.

My blood sugar currently is 24.3 and 22.5 (got two different meters) and I'm not sure what could have made it this high.

I've got a ham and cheese low carb wrap (Deli Kitchen Carb Lite Wrap from Tesco) for my lunch today and some crisps.

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
I don't know what is acceptable to me. My blood sugar this morning was 24.9 and I tested again tonight and my blood sugar is at 15.4. I am only able to test twice a day on a weekday and once a day on a weekend, due to only being prescribed 50 test strips a month.

I'm on a limited budget and bran flakes is the least carb cereal that I can think of.
I see you are in the UK.

You need to arm yourself with legislation knowledge when dealing with your GP and healthcare.
Firstly, you shouldn't be paying for prescriptions - Diabetes is an exempt condition.
Next, NICE guidelines say intervention is required if BG is over 15.0 because of the underlying damage it can cause - neuropathy, retinal damage, kidney and liver damage, periphery damage and so much more.
There is so much legislation that demands you are treated correctly starting with the Equality Act that requires reasonable adjustment to keep you healthy. I am prescribed 300 test strips a month and just request more if I need them; I also have a supply of ketone testing strips to use on 'sick days' (testing ketones is part of the 'Sick Days' rules for ALL diabetics.
Limiting access to health care is illegal - look to National Care Standards, Patients Rights Act, Human Rights Act and many others.
If you have problems representing yourself (I noted on responder who is hampered by Asperger's - my Asperger's makes me a pain to officialdom because I research my rights before contacting them as my experience is they try to screw me over) contact your local authority to access Advocacy representation. Mental health issues are a common comorbidity of many conditions including diabetes and qualifies for free support.
Do not accept poor treatment for any reason. Lack of funding rarely affects frontline delivery of service but is used as an excuse for bad practices.
Remember you have rights protected in law, and any practice that impacts your life quality or life expectancy should not be accepted.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've finally got a prescription of 150 testing strips after being taken up to A&E with hyperglycaemia and not being able to stay awake last Wednesday afternoon. I'm still experiencing high blood sugars of 27 this morning, but it's pointless asking for help at the hospital as by the time that I've been seen, my blood sugars are at an acceptable level. I've had no follow ups from the doctor or diabetes team.

I've took a full 60 units of Novorapid and 80 units of Lantus. Had no breakfast yet, as I would like to see how much they would come down in an hour or 2.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood sugar down to 7.1 at 10:30am, so I had a hash brown and a hot chicken wrap for breakfast at work, once the butty van came.

Cltchris

Hi. As a T1D of 52 years I eat toast for breakfast with egg, bacon, sausage etc occasionally. Or toast with Peanut butter and marmite. I bake my own bread in bread machine twice a week following Keto King bread recipe.....it's very good, toasts well, can be frozen or eaten as sandwiches. This has been a real game changer to my lifestyle. HbA1c 5.7......

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
Blood sugar down to 7.1 at 10:30am, so I had a hash brown and a hot chicken wrap for breakfast at work, once the butty van came.
I'm sure it's just the wording but that seems a bit reckless to me.
If you achieve 7.1 blood glucose levels surely considered management would help keep your levels in a safe range?
Since I cannot guess on the content of food from snack bars I stay well away unless they offer food I know. If you bought the same from a supermarket it would labelled showing nutritional values, allowing you to make informed choices.

Reactions: daisyjo