Breakfast ideas

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been struggling with finding a suitable breakfast to have, as today I've had a actimel yoghurt drink at 8:30am and at work 2 bacon rashers, 2 sausages, 2 eggs and cheese just now.

I'm on insulin and test my blood sugars twice a day. I normally have weetabix or other type of breakfast cereal.

I can't stomach having hot food at home early in the morning at 7am, as I end up on the toilet before I set off for work and be late getting in.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
I've been struggling with finding a suitable breakfast to have, as today I've had a actimel yoghurt drink at 8:30am and at work 2 bacon rashers, 2 sausages, 2 eggs and cheese just now.

I'm on insulin and test my blood sugars twice a day. I normally have weetabix or other type of breakfast cereal.

I can't stomach having hot food at home early in the morning at 7am, as I end up on the toilet before I set off for work and be late getting in.
I'm only just getting used to my diabetes so if I suggest something unsuitable then please choose to ignore me.

Most mornings I'm fine with a small cooked breakfast, an omelette, a couple of pork sausages etc. Occasionally I just can't face it though and I end up just having a couple of ryvita crackerbread, either just buttered or with a generous helping of soft cheese. I do occasionally pre boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge for an occasional snack as well.
I avoid all breakfast cereals though as I have chosen to go ultra low carb to get my bg under control and to lose weight.

I also discovered recently, Warburton's milk roll bread. 8.3g carbs per slice so low enough for an occasional piece of toast so long as I watch what else I eat through the day.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently trying a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast as they seem to be lowish in carbs.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How have the bran flakes been going with your bg?

I don't eat breakfast. But some things I use as part of quick/light meals that don't raise my bg much:

A handful of nuts and seeds
Sliced apple with peanut butter
Fruits (pear, banana, apple, berries)
Mix bean salad

Reactions: saky

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I'm currently trying a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast as they seem to be lowish in carbs.
This was the very first foodstuff I stopped and binned:

100g30g
CARBOHYDRATE65g20g
of which are sugars14g4.2g
FIBRE17g5.1g
PROTEIN11g3.3g

Anything over 30%, and here it is 65%, is thrown back on the shelf - period!
I'm on insulin and test my blood sugars twice a day.
@akindrat18 Might I ask, what are your numbers?

This from SAINBUSRY's own site. See that the 100g serving contains 65g of Carbs. Please, please go by the % per serving. I now rate the percentages, period! I do this for ALL my foodstuffs. Please don't ignore this.

• Agree
Reactions: saky

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@akindrat18 , are you trying to eat the low carb way? If so, bran flakes are not low carb.

Of course if you are calculating carbs for the amount of insulin you need to use, getting the sums right, then bran flakes are fine for you, if that is what you like to eat.

• Agree
Reactions: plantae

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 Might I ask, what are your numbers?
My blood sugars are in the high teens/low twenties. My last Hba1c is 143 mmol.

Best thing I've found is to avoid breakfast altogether and eat after 1pm.
I was able to cut out breakfast whilst on Ozempic or Victoza, but since both are out of stock, I've found myself eating and snacking more since being off them in September.

@akindrat18 , are you trying to eat the low carb way? If so, bran flakes are not low carb.

Of course if you are calculating carbs for the amount of insulin you need to use, getting the sums right, then bran flakes are fine for you, if that is what you like to eat.
I had bran flakes recommended to me by some people at my local diabetes support group as a bowl contains 20 grams of carbs, instead of having 3 weetabix or 2 rounds of toast.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
2 eggs boiled fried, poached or scrambled would only be around 1gm of carbs (provided no bread was added).

Reactions: Outlier

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
@akindrat18 - Good replies. Now, tell me, what is the dry weight of the Bran Flakes you are consuming? You need to do this otherwise all we are getting are guessing at what exact you are consuming? Please weigh the dry weight and post it here.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 - Good replies. Now, tell me, what is the dry weight of the Bran Flakes you are consuming? You need to do this otherwise all we are getting are guessing at what exact you are consuming? Please weigh the dry weight and post it here.
I measured it out today at 61 grams. Measured it to 30 grams a serving and didn't look enough, so I added in more, until it looked more appropriate

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I measured it out today at 61 grams. Measured it to 30 grams a serving and didn't look enough, so I added in more, until it looked more appropriate
Is your insulin dose fixed or do you adjust it based on the amount of carbs you eat (i.e. a ratio)?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fixed dosage. Novorapid 48 (B), 44 (L), 42 (E). Lantus 80 units
Ok, in that case I would look at what the meal does to your blood sugar levels and if it's acceptable for you. I generally eat low carb because it reduces the amount of insulin I need to use but if you're on fixed doses that's probably a moot point. I eat bran flakes or all-bran 2-3 times a week for breakfast (but I can adjust my insulin dose and if I get it right it makes absolutely zero difference to my peak BSL). I eat it for the fibre and also because cooking a hot breakfast every day of the week I find a PITA. I am not anti-carb (as my comments on here can attest to, haha) but I think you have to decide what works for you. Fibre actually helps my blood sugar levels in the long run and bran flakes have a decent amount of fibre. It's the milk that I have a problem with (unfortunately) so I have almond or soy milk -- I could dose to cover the cow milk but I'd rather not. On the days I don't have bran flakes I usually have psyllium husk dissolved in water just for the fibre

• Informative
Reactions: Guilty and Pipp

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, in that case I would look at what the meal does to your blood sugar levels and if it's acceptable for you. I generally eat low carb because it reduces the amount of insulin I need to use but if you're on fixed doses that's probably a moot point. I eat bran flakes or all-bran 2-3 times a week for breakfast (but I can adjust my insulin dose and if I get it right it makes absolutely zero difference to my peak BSL). I eat it for the fibre and also because cooking a hot breakfast every day of the week I find a PITA. I am not anti-carb (as my comments on here can attest to, haha) but I think you have to decide what works for you. Fibre actually helps my blood sugar levels in the long run and bran flakes have a decent amount of fibre. It's the milk that I have a problem with (unfortunately) so I have almond or soy milk -- I could dose to cover the cow milk but I'd rather not. On the days I don't have bran flakes I usually have psyllium husk dissolved in water just for the fibre
I don't know what is acceptable to me. My blood sugar this morning was 24.9 and I tested again tonight and my blood sugar is at 15.4. I am only able to test twice a day on a weekday and once a day on a weekend, due to only being prescribed 50 test strips a month.

I'm on a limited budget and bran flakes is the least carb cereal that I can think of.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
24.9? Is that in mmol/L? Is there a professional you can talk to within time and budget? Despite what I said earlier I personally wouldn't be eating bran flakes if my level was 24.9 mmol/L. I'd probably be taking myself to hospital :(

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really want to help here and I do think that if your levels were more normal (maybe I'm misinterpreting them) you could have bran flakes. But with those numbers I can't think of a single breakfast cereal (plus milk of whatever kind) that I could tolerate. Microwaved scrambled eggs use only 1 bowl so they're easy and quick and don't generate the washing up that I hate about cooked breakfasts. But if you can't tolerate hot food for breakfast I'm lost for ideas.