1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast problem

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by mindeset-booster, Feb 11, 2017.

1. mindeset-booster

mindeset-booster Type 2 · Member

Hi
    I expirience some problems with my breakfast. It doesn't matter what I eat I will be tired.
    I tried a lot combination or only one of these: less carbs, more protein, fruits or vegs. In the end I will be less or more tired.
    That happens only with the first meal on the day. Usually I have a fastening period of 12 up to 14 hours.
    I did not get any expalnation about it from my GP.

Has anyone an idea or experience with this strange phenomenon? BTW, I am a DT2.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

How about skip breakfast?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mindeset-booster

There is a point where you get really hungry and you have to eat something. I cannot skip this point. Sometime I get my first meal at midday or 1 pm. Maybe you could call this "skip" breakfast. It isn't a matter of real time on the clock.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

and do you still get the tiredness after eating at midday? what do you eat ?

5. Sea view

Sea view Type 2 · Newbie

Hi

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused with what you are experiencing. Does eating breakfast actually make you tired?
    Can you monitor your blood glucose levels before and after breakfast and other meals?
    What time of day, if any, do you not feel tired?
    When hunger kicks in and you eat, do you feel tired again?
    If you could be a little more specific, I'm sure you'll soon receive some helpful suggestions.

7. mindeset-booster

As I desribed, I tried any combination of food. I ate only protein, I am tired. I ate a few carbs with protein, I am tired and so on.
    It doesn't matter wich time I eat my first meal after sleeping. I always try to have a long break between the last meal in the evening and the next day first meal.
    Maybe the only difference which I monitored was a warm cooked meal from vegs and protein. But for practicable reasons I cannot cook it every day, and I don't like every day a warm meal at first.
    In genral, it has no effect on my blood sugar level at all in comparison to my other meals.

8. mindeset-booster

It is only the first meal. When I eat later the effect doesn't appear anymore.

9. mindeset-booster

How long did you practice this herbal infusion on daily basis?

10. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

Nonsense. You should go to the doc right away with your problem. It's fictional, mental, or something these very experienced members can't identify. It needs to be tracked down.

11. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Anything with carbs or too much protein makes me hungry in the morning. Have you tried high fat low carb and protein? Half an avocado with celery holds me for hours. Nuts can create cravings if eaten too early for me but mostly a high fat bf helps. Many do bullet proof coffee. Coffee with butter, coconut oil, heavy cram and find great results. I like my avocado. Same concept. Maybe experiment with just fat first thing. Carbs always make me sleepy especially in the morning. Protein too. I save those for latter in the day

12. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do you test your bs at these times? - can you give us more specific info such as your numbers when you test - when you test- what exactly you have eaten rather than saying protein, veg etc - there are carbs hidden everywhere so you may be eating more than you think, how long does the tiredness last. The more detail you give the more chance someone here can help you :)

13. ME_Valentijn

ME_Valentijn · Guest

Are you dehydrated at all in the morning? Digesting food requires blood to be re-routed to the area near the gut for the absorption of nutrients, and that may result in a bit less blood getting to the brain and wanting to lie down for a while. If your blood volume is a bit low to start with, such as due to not drinking all night or in the morning, it might have a noticeable impact when eating.

14. stephenbeale

stephenbeale Don't have diabetes · Newbie

I used to feel awful when I had dairy in the mornings. As another poster wrote, dehydration might be the problem. Have you also tried having tea with coconut oil after eating breakfast? I find it helps my digestion kick into gear. Good luck!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook