Breakfast...Some Ideas Please!!

deathbycoke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can some of you wonderful people please give me some ideas on what to eat for breakfast??
I've always had just cornflakes but these seem to spike my BG.
I'll be honest and say I don't have mush time in the morning so cooking food is really out of the question.
I'm racking my brains but thought there may be some good ideas from you guys who have overcome this problem.
Thanks, Steve.....

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Omelette ... 5 minutes with mushrooms

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
coffee with double cream.. extend your overnight fast.
Breakfast (unless its eggs and bacon which you say you don't have time for) is a highly overrated meal anyway IMO.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
@deathbycoke take a look at the diet doctor site lots of good ideas on all types of meals,and it's free.
We are all different in what spikes our BG so it's a matter of trying out foods and if you have a meter test before every meal you eat and 2 hours later,keep a diary of everything eaten and your BG results so you can refer back to which foods where the best for you with no more than a 2 point spike after food. And if you haven't got a meter do get one it's how we control our BG there are lots of advice on hear has to which meters are best and cheapest strips so enquire ask and someone will get in touch with you I hope this information helps you,this is a great site for diabetics good luck and hopefully will see you posting again! K

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook up good quality (low carb) sausages when you do have the time. Grab a couple from the fridge in the morning and eat on your feet. Slices of ham/salami/cheese/hard boiled egg can be eaten in the same way.
Breakfast doesn't have to something resembling cardboard, shaken out of a cardboard box.
Sally

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome @deathbycoke , I make my own yoghurt a kilo at a time. It takes a few minutes a couple of evenings a week to make up and set to work in the incubator overnight. A few spoonfuls with 6/7 berries is a quick and easy breakfast and I find is OK with my bg.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sliced ham, cold meat or cheese.
Just grab a few slices out of the fridge and wander through your morning routine munching.
Way quicker and easier than cereal, and you can choose from a wide range of cheese and meats, so you will never get bored.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
coffee with double cream.. extend your overnight fast.
Breakfast (unless its eggs and bacon which you say you don't have time for) is a highly overrated meal anyway IMO.
What would I do without eggs and bacon overrated Noooooooo! K lovely

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Eggs and bacon.. food of the keto gods.. I meant all the carby c**p that most people eat for breakfast!
Agree what would I have done in my earlier days without your valuable advice,ever so grateful! K

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I do rather well on berries, walnuts, brazilnuts and coconut. Put in some unsweetened coconut yoghurt or greek... Done!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook up good quality (low carb) sausages when you do have the time. Grab a couple from the fridge in the morning and eat on your feet. Slices of ham/salami/cheese/hard boiled egg can be eaten in the same way.
Breakfast doesn't have to something resembling cardboard, shaken out of a cardboard box.
Sally
I do this too

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Never eat breakfast on an empty stomach. Just kidding. I cook most mornings but when I cant it's berries, Greek yoghurt and nuts with a touch of non sugar sweetener.
Glenn

deathbycoke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diabetes nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!
Also is bacon not fatty?? Thanks for the helpful responses folks....

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact that your nurse is diabetic, doesn't automatically mean she/he knows anything about Diabetes

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My diabetic nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!
Eggs do not affect your Cholesterol. What is she thinking? Avoid cheese? Never heard this before

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My diabetic nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!
Eggs do not affect your Cholesterol. What is she thinking?
My diabetes nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!
Eggs do not affect your Cholesterol. What is she thinking? Avoid cheese? Never heard this before

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Never eat breakfast on an empty stomach. Just kidding. I cook most mornings but when I cant it's berries, Greek yoghurt and nuts with a touch of non sugar sweetener.
Glenn
Hi I'm retired now so I have a cooked breakfast come lunch fast from evening meal night before,keeps my weight loss in check and when I'm not stressed my BG too! K
You will gain lots of good information on here just read threads on forum and see how others have got there BG under control,believe me it wasn't by listening to our diabetic nurses,fats fill you up carbs turn into sugar you cannot control your BG eating mostly carbs they will not sustain you. That's why you will be hungry, we do follow different things on here but has your a newbie I will tag @daisy1 to send you some very good information for newbies take the time to read it. And Rome wasn't built in a day it takes time to work out what works best for You! Just test your BG before and 2 hours after food and see what the difference is in your reading with your amount of carbs and eating less carbs and filling up with full fat dairy bacon meats cheese nuts,etc the info. Is all on here look for it and ask a question if your unsure! K