• Type 2 diabetes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metformin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ggalek2951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
can anyone tell me if weetabix can give you to much fibre as the last two after taking metformin I’ve gone to the loo fine then followed by a bit of diarrhoea

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weetabix are 69% carbohydrate.
Taking metformin with carbs has been observed to cause gastric upsets (although metformin can do this on its own)
Weetabix will probably spike your blood sugar too.
Maybe ditch the Weetabix and try bacon and eggs instead?

Edit to add the "benefits" of fibre may have been overrated too.

Reactions: Tophat1900

ggalek2951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Taking metformin with carbs has been observed to cause gastric upsets (although metformin can do this on its own)

can anyone tell me if weetabix can give you to much fibre as the last two after taking metformin I’ve gone to the loo fine then followed by a bit of diarrhoea
Thank you I tried ready break but that didn’t help so gone back to porridge and try that

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you I tried ready break but that didn’t help so gone back to porridge and try that

All cereals (including porridge) are high carbohydrate and will adversely affect your blood sugars and may cause the same gastric upset as Weetabix. I see you’re fairly new to the forum, so don’t know if you’ve seen our useful info post. Just in case you haven’t it’s here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Shifting to porridge is just replacing one high carb food with another high carb food.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Why eat carb heavy foods in the morning? All the "established" cereals are rubbish for blood glucose control probably including porridge.
Nothing or eggs would be far better for you.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It probably the metformin I get bouts of diarrhoea some days no matter what I eat with metformin.

silentman

In my opinion eggs are the perfect breakfast. With bacon. Or more eggs.

Just had 2 egg omelette with bacon mushrooms and cheese, start on the hob in conventional way and then finish off under hot grill superb better than egg and bacon, much more filling and zero carbs

Reactions: jjraak

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some Type 2's can manage a little porridge with some berries so if your used to a large portion but you test and see spikes you could try reducing your portion size first, diabetes is all about finding what works for you as an individual as it varies greatly from person to person, things like jumbo oats are less refined than packet porridge etc

Test, test, test to see what you can deal with before dismissing something
xx

D

Deleted member 308541

Does weetabix cause diarrhoea
Type 2 diabetes
Metformin

I never had any stomach / gut problems when I was taking Metformin.

I have not eaten Weetabix for more than fifty years so I cannot remember if it gave me the scours or not, and I do not think it would have given me T2 diabetes either.

Your poll is a bit of a nonsense as well... :D