Britain's Fat Fight

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished watching. Will reserve co ment until OP gives his opinion.

That's very polite! I wasn't really expecting anyone to hold back, I've just re-logged in now!

I'd just posted my main impression. I thought lots of little things as it went on but I'm so tired I can't even remember them or put them into words right now :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was truly shocked at the footage inside WHSmiths. It's probably over a decade since I've been into one so the difference from what I remember is staggering.

I wonder if they just decided one day to go crazy offering chocolate at the checkout or if it slowly crept up. Anyone shop there regularly and noted the change?

This is why Malhotra campaigns against Smiths and the others in hospitals.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was truly shocked at the footage inside WHSmiths. It's probably over a decade since I've been into one so the difference from what I remember is staggering.

I wonder if they just decided one day to go crazy offering chocolate at the checkout or if it slowly crept up. Anyone shop there regularly and noted the change?

I don’t shop there very often, but I have noticed in recent years that not only do they have confectionary near the checkouts, but the cashier often asks if you want a chocolate bar 1/2 price today? I’ve always assumed they are selling off something near it’s sell by date. I haven’t had it happen since my diagnosis, so I’m not sure what I’d say these days?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What was surprising was the lack of availability of greengrocers/butchers in local areas to the extent that people have to go to the big 5 supermarkets which is of course just what they planned. They are doing the same with corner shops replacing them with Quick Stores. Very soon we will be stuffed when it comes to consumer choice. As for the high street, what do we see now? £Shops with their rubbish fodder, Bookies and Takeaways.

Reactions: dbr10

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t shop there very often, but I have noticed in recent years that not only do they have confectionary near the checkouts, but the cashier often asks if you want a chocolate bar 1/2 price today? I’ve always assumed they are selling off something near it’s sell by date. I haven’t had it happen since my diagnosis, so I’m not sure what I’d say these days?

Sounds like my local SPAR actually. They often have stuff right by the tills and they'll actually ask you if you want it. It's always been 'bad stuff' though I think on one occasion it was packets of strawberries that were nearing their best before date.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was surprising was the lack of availability of greengrocers/butchers in local areas to the extent that people have to go to the big 5 supermarkets which is of course just what they planned. They are doing the same with corner shops replacing them with Quick Stores. Very soon we will be stuffed when it comes to consumer choice. As for the high street, what do we see now? £Shops with their rubbish fodder, Bookies and Takeaways.

That was one of the bits that hit me. It reminded me of the idea of 'food deserts' in the US which I only recently became aware of after watching a documentary on Netflix. What exactly can you do if you are born in that sort of area?

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like my local SPAR actually. They often have stuff right by the tills and they'll actually ask you if you want it. It's always been 'bad stuff' though I think on one occasion it was packets of strawberries that were nearing their best before date.

Funny you should mention Spar, my local Spar started stocking the low carb Adonis bars, they were by the till. Unfortunately the last time I went they were still by the till, but marked “reduced to clear”! :(

Reactions: dbr10 and AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny you should mention Spar, my local Spar started stocking the low carb Adonis bars, they were by the till. Unfortunately the last time I went they were still by the till, but marked “reduced to clear”! :(

I'll keep a look out for those. Never tried one yet. I don't mind the reduced to clear stuff!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll keep a look out for those. Never tried one yet. I don't mind the reduced to clear stuff!

I stocked up while I was there! You can get them from Adonis direct or Amazon, 2g carbs per bar. I smuggle them into coffee shops where there is literally nothing I can eat, (looking at you Costa!)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much??
Cheaper to have a few aspirin, a couple of metformin and the odd statin! :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I say "No thanks I'm diabetic!" Which seems stupid as I pay for my emergency jelly babies.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I say "No thanks I'm diabetic!" Which seems stupid as I pay for my emergency jelly babies.
I had this happen to me recently. It was just annoying. My response depends on the mood I'm in

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought it was ok but nothing special. Looks like he's going for the Calories in calories out approach which may have a short term effect. The lack of knowledge from the parents about what they were buying for their kids was a tad alarming.. don't these people look at the back of the packet ever? Although thinking back to the bad old days I guess I never did..
In the clip of next weeks it looks as if he is using Dr Unwin's teaspoons of sugar measure which should be very helpful. I was rather saddened by all the pictures of people running but encouraged when the bus driver said it was far more to do with food than exercise before his salad drawer of chocolate was revealed!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That salad drawer full of chocolate was a sight to behold! :wideyed:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was surprising was the lack of availability of greengrocers/butchers in local areas to the extent that people have to go to the big 5 supermarkets which is of course just what they planned
The only place to buy fruit and veg, other than M&S and the large Tesco which is just off the main street, is a very good stall, although they are not there every day. We have no fishmongers but we do have an excellent butchers. We have at least 30 places were you can buy a coffee and cake/pastry/etc.... The Tesco has killed the shops selling fresh veg etc.
They've been doing it for some time, and as @Rachox says, they offer you chocolate at the check-out; there is also an offer on the self-service tills. Talk about overkill....
I didn't watch the programme - if it's picked up on the Mail Online I can imagine there'll be the usual very nasty comments - but did read the article yesterday. Although yes, there is an element of the awful 'eat less move more' rubbish, I still think that the more well-known voices start to speak out against the big food producers the better. The message may not be what we on this Forum might want to hear - it falls well short, agreed - it's a (small) step in the right direction.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I homed in on the lady helping him to sell the fresh fruit and veg in that boarded up area. Fruit sold but no one wanted the veg other than a few carrrots. Some of them looked at heads of cabbage and cauliflower with suspicion. I wondered if they felt they needed too much prep before cooking. I wish they had cut up some of that veg and showed them how quick and easy it was and versatile and economical. Maybe Hugh will come back to it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In that local shopping area there was one convenience shop that sold fresh veg. The owner had been there 10 years and said sales of the veg had dropped. He thought it was a generation thing - middle aged and elderly people bought it, but not the younger ones. There must be a lesson there.

I was gobsmacked at the contents of the cupboards and salad drawer of that family. . There was no food other than 3 tomatoes. All crisps, Pringles, and a shop full of chocolate.

Kellogg and Nestle are corporate members of the British Nutrition Foundation. They should be leading the way with food labelling, not trying to get round the law as they appear to be doing.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I homed in on the lady helping him to sell the fresh fruit and veg in that boarded up area. Fruit sold but no one wanted the veg other than a few carrrots. Some of them looked at heads of cabbage and cauliflower with suspicion. I wondered if they felt they needed too much prep before cooking. I wish they had cut up some of that veg and showed them how quick and easy it was and versatile and economical. Maybe Hugh will come back to it.
Some of them did actually say that it was too much trouble with fresh veg though? Perhaps you missed the comments? I agree that they ought to have done a little display of cutting up the veg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I would have had that big cabbage away! I have been saying for years that cookery classes should be brought back in schools (for both sexes). There is a generation now of people brought up on orange food from orange boxes.