Broke my monitor!!

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try putting your monitor into a box and cover it with rice. The theory is the rice absorbs the water and dries out the device, not sure how it might cope with gravy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

Westie2 said:
Try putting your monitor into a box and cover it with rice. The theory is the rice absorbs the water and dries out the device, not sure how it might cope with gravy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try that now.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Give the makers a quick ring and they will most probably put one in the post for you. If it is an AccuChek they most certainly will :thumbup:

H

Hooked

Tried the machine this morning. Control solution is fine but the two blood tests were 9.1 and 13.2. BG on old monitor (handful of strips left!) was 12.3. So I'm not confident, especially as I don't always have hypo awareness.

Emailed company last night, so will see what they get back with. I'm in a meeting all morning. It's a iBG Star, not sure they would replace for free given the circumstances. (User error.)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hooked said:
Tried the machine this morning. Control solution is fine but the two blood tests were 9.1 and 13.2. BG on old monitor (handful of strips left!) was 12.3. So I'm not confident, especially as I don't always have hypo awareness.

Emailed company last night, so will see what they get back with. I'm in a meeting all morning. It's a iBG Star, not sure they would replace for free given the circumstances. (User error.)

You'd be better of phoning them. Most companies will provide a free meter as they make their profit from the strips. If you feel odd in the meantime, you can get a test done at your surgery or some chemists do it for free. This may be a good time to enquire about getting a spare monitor so this doesn't happen again. Hope you get sorted soon ;-)

H

Hooked

Thanks for letting me know. Will do that. Really appreciate the advice on here!

H

Hooked

Delighted to say that the company rang me and said that although they don't usually replace in cases of user error, they will this time. :D I'm delighted! Weight off my shoulders; can't believe how stressed out I felt since it broke last night.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Hooked said:
Delighted to say that the company rang me and said that although they don't usually replace in cases of user error, they will this time. :D I'm delighted! Weight off my shoulders; can't believe how stressed out I felt since it broke last night.

Fantastic news!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Great news. As others said, most meter companies don't mind giving out their meters for free even if the replacement is due to accidental damage since they make their profit from the strips :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hooked said:

That's fantastic news Hooked, so pleased it's all sorted out now, phew :!:

RRB :)

oggymitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
go in for the free monthly prize draws to get a spare, i just got one today, forgot i had even entered the draw, got a nice Bayer Contour next USB

bbagginsuk

try googling free monitors, theres always someone giving free ones away and they come with enough test strips to keep you going until you can get a prescription....actually usually 50 of them,

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-meters.html

http://www.glucomen.co.uk/index.php?p=138&pp=74&ptitle=GlucoMen%20LX%20PLUS

http://www.lifescan.co.uk/corporate/register/get-free-meter

theres just 3 and im sure there are more...im using a bayer usb i got free, complete with software to print out trends etc