1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Brown Basmati Rice

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Gladys12216, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Gladys12216

Gladys12216 Type 2 · Member

Is Brown Basmati Rice ok for a T2 Diabetic. Please help.

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its basically the same as normal white rice, ie it has too many carbs in it for many T2's

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd imagine not, I eat it as a type 1 as it's carb digestion mimics the speed my insulin is absorbed, whereas shorter grain rice (and a lot of pasta) will cause my bloods to spike until the insulin 'catches up'.

If you're looking at rice as an accompaniment for a sauce you could look at 'cauliflower rice' (usually on the top of the rice aisle) and if you can find it you'll also see a few other zero carb/very low carb offerings which I'd imagine would cause you less spikes, but that's a guess as I don't have T2, good luck finding something :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Anything brown wholemeal etc is pretty much as bad as the white version. Might be very slightly slower to raise blood glucose levels and maybe slightly lower but then lasts longer instead. Limit as much as possible or even better avoid it altogether. Take a look at the links at the bottom of my signature for general advice and more links to more info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Agree with @HSSS check out the nutrional thingy link, it's also posted below in my sig line in red.

6. Laconic

Laconic · Well-Known Member

Rice apart from Cauliflower variety is the worst food for diabetics imo

7. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eat and test! I seem to be OK with root veg in small portions but brown basmati rice (same size portion) gave me the biggest spike I've had! I haven't dared try pasta yet......

8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

What ever you would normally eat with the rice is where the money shot usually is. This is easily tested with most high carb foods, by looking at if you would eat that food by itself. E.g. curry and rice, fish and chips a traditional roast with potatoes. I would say if you remove the carby elements the rest of the meal can stand by itself or you can replace the higher carby element with a non starchy choice.

Obviously chips are the exception to the rule.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook