Brownies, made these last week and they have been a big hit

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They sound yummy but unfortunately there was so much garbage (ads, etc.) on the website I couldn't see the brownies!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a recipe there, but the text was so faint it was virtually impossible to read it.

In general I've found that many of these recipe blog sites tend to do this "hunt the recipe" thing!:wacky::wacky:

Robbity

Reactions: briped

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 decent sized brownies
Calories 166 kcal
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 Celsius/350 Fahrenheit.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Add all wet ingredients. You can mix with a blender or even with a fork.
  4. Check the sweetness and add more sweetener if required.
  5. Line a baking tin with baking paper (mine was 15x20 cm) and fill with the mixture.
  6. Bake for ca 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The brownies will be very soft in the beginning, but they firm up once cool.
  7. If desired, melt 2 squares of dark or sugar free chocolate plus 1 tsp of butter/coconut oil and drizzle over the brownies.
  8. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Recipe Notes
I made one batch with ground almonds and one with almond flour. Both work well.

If you prefer a more cake-like texture, add an extra 25g/1/4 cup almond flour or ca 3 tbsp coconut flour.

If you do not have mixed spice aka pumpkin spice to hand, you can sub with cinnamon.

I used cacao as opposed to cocoa powder in this recipe. Cacao is less processed, while cocoa is roasted and has a stronger taste. If you use unsweetened cocoa you might want to reduce the amount and take things from there. Start with 30g/1/3 cup and see if your mixture is chocolatey enough.

Nutrition Facts
Pumpkin Brownies – Sugar Free, Low Carb

Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 127

% Daily Value*
Total Fat
14.1g 22%
Saturated Fat 4.6g 23%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.2g
Cholesterol 60mg 20%
Sodium
21mg 1%
Potassium
167mg 5%
Total Carbohydrates
8.6g 3%
Dietary Fiber 4.3g 17%
Sugars 1.7g
Protein 6.1g 12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Reactions: 1spuds

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall have to have a go too - I've got all the ingredients (well cocoa rather than cacao) including a little jar of "personally and lovingly hand prepared" ;) pumpkin spice blend that was created for a rather disastrous pumpkin bread recipe which magically turned into a just-dare-look-at-me-and-I'll-disintegrate sort of crumbly cake-ish type thing needing a spoon to deal with.

Robbity

Reactions: SaskiaKC

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 decent sized brownies
Calories 166 kcal
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 Celsius/350 Fahrenheit.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Add all wet ingredients. You can mix with a blender or even with a fork.
  4. Check the sweetness and add more sweetener if required.
  5. Line a baking tin with baking paper (mine was 15x20 cm) and fill with the mixture.
  6. Bake for ca 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The brownies will be very soft in the beginning, but they firm up once cool.
  7. If desired, melt 2 squares of dark or sugar free chocolate plus 1 tsp of butter/coconut oil and drizzle over the brownies.
  8. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Recipe Notes
I made one batch with ground almonds and one with almond flour. Both work well.

If you prefer a more cake-like texture, add an extra 25g/1/4 cup almond flour or ca 3 tbsp coconut flour.

If you do not have mixed spice aka pumpkin spice to hand, you can sub with cinnamon.

I used cacao as opposed to cocoa powder in this recipe. Cacao is less processed, while cocoa is roasted and has a stronger taste. If you use unsweetened cocoa you might want to reduce the amount and take things from there. Start with 30g/1/3 cup and see if your mixture is chocolatey enough.

Nutrition Facts
Pumpkin Brownies – Sugar Free, Low Carb

Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 127

% Daily Value*
Total Fat
14.1g 22%
Saturated Fat 4.6g 23%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.2g
Cholesterol 60mg 20%
Sodium
21mg 1%
Potassium
167mg 5%
Total Carbohydrates
8.6g 3%
Dietary Fiber 4.3g 17%
Sugars 1.7g
Protein 6.1g 12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

The nutrition values seem American, does this mean the fibre can be subtracted from the total carbs? 8.6g would be too much for me to bother trying, but 4.3g carbs... that's more tempting.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@annie07 you've brought up a question I've got to ask! In UK, do you subtract fiber from total carbs to get the figures y'all UK-ers are listing?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annie07 you've brought up a question I've got to ask! In UK, do you subtract fiber from total carbs to get the figures y'all UK-ers are listing?
We don’t actually subtract fibre as our labels/recipes have already separated fibre from carbs. I think many other countries also do this.

So yes any U.K. label will show what you call net carbs already. Fibre is listed on a separate entry. No maths required unless you want total carbs then you have to add them together.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@HSSS thank you so much for the carb-counting lesson!! So, if I say that the tortilla I eat has 11 American-label carbs, with the subcategories of 8 fiber, x sugars (not necessarily 3), your label says 3 carbs, and then it says 8 fiber. This would explain why my carb count comes out so much higher than all of yours! Thank you thank you! Somebody in the UK who says they eat about 50 carbs a day might well be saying they eat twice that if they lived here, and it's all exactly the same food. This makes me feel better about just how much "flalmax" bread I ate straight out of the oven last night :woot::woot:

My apologies for hijacking this brownie thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.