Bruises during the Honeymoon Phase

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed as Type 1/LADA last year I noticed a few bruises which seemed to take for ever to clear up. Then after I started on insulin and even when I came off the bruising stopped or at least any bruise I got was gone quickly. But now I have noticed the return of bruises which quickly turn that yellowish colour and linger for a long time, even just pinching my skin can cause a lingering yellow bruise.

I was just wondering whether anyone else who has gone through the Honeymoon phase noticed that bruises started to take longer to clear up as the Honeymoon started to progress.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I didn't notice that at all. I do have bruises on my legs sometimes if I inject (I'm on a pump but have a pen as back up) but these are just normal bruises from catching small blood vessels when injecting, not from pinching up.

If you think your bruising is 'abnormal', it's always worth a mention to your doctor or nurse just so they can rule out anything that might cause it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, your bruising sounds unusual. I would see the GP to try to find out why.

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started on insulin four weeks ago and got some horrendous bruising at first; I was using the GlucoRX 6mm needles from Macc Hospital. When I needed another box, my GP/pharmacy gave me Novafine 6mm and the difference was fantastic.

No bruises at all (and they rarely hurt at all).

Perhaps worth seeing if you can try a different make of needle to find a brand that suits you?