1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bs gone up from breakfast in between not eaten nothing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by sandysan, Mar 6, 2020.

1. sandysan

sandysan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I had my breakfast early at 5.30 am before breakfast my bs was 6.5. I have just done my bs 6 hours later ready for lunch and its reading 8.1.......can anyone explain why it's gone up when I haven't eaten in between
    Thankyou

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What was for breakfast?

3. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What did you have for breakfast, what have you been doing in the last 6 hours ie. Gardening, work, exercise. We need more information to make any meaningful suggestions

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sandysan

sandysan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Well I dont exercise due to back problems ,,at 5.30 am I eat porridge I'm normally ok with porridge come down fairly kwok before lunch time

5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Porridge is glucose in drag. You may normally be ok with it but that doesn’t necessarily mean that will always be the case, or that it’ll remain so forever.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

and if you eat if with extra fat - butter, cream of full fat milk, there can be a delayed spike

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The best breakfast is eggs or bacon and eggs. Failing that a handful of berries with double cream or full fat greek yogurt.
    I never has anything other than those after I went low carb and I didn't ever get more than a 0.5 spike from breakfast unless I did some intensive exercise (which often causes the liver to dump glucose).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have noticed people are testing before meals, but not after, and some mention that they are instructed to do so - but I can't really see what benefit a type two would get from knowing their BG before eating but not at the set time afterwards.
    At the two hour mark I could judge both how the meal had affected me, and if my ability to cope with carbs was improving, with the comparison with the before level.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. plutoniumcard

plutoniumcard Type 2 · Active Member

I found porridge to be a slow release problem. I switched to NOat Porridge (greatApeCo). It is based on seeds and contains no oats. This helped to reduce the glucose drag for me.
    Plus exercise and weight loss (8kg in 8 weeks)....my BG has improved massively. Yesterday I was 5.0 first thing in morning, which I haven't seen in ages.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That reading of 8.1 could actually be on the way down because porridge would send my BG through the roof.

A reading 2 hours after eating would be more useful a way of getting a handle on what your BG is really doing. Perhaps even 1 hr and 2 hrs. Between breakfast and 6 hours later your bg might have gone up to 13 and be on the way back down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook