BS reading?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
This morning I tested my blood and it came back at 1.2, I thought this can’t be right so I used another finger and that came back at 2. My question is as there was such a difference in readings how do I know that any reading is reliable?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I tested my blood and it came back at 1.2, I thought this can’t be right so I used another finger and that came back at 2. My question is as there was such a difference in readings how do I know that any reading is reliable?
The lower, the more they tend to deviate, I've found. But both numbers are hypo-territory. You doing okay? Because if they read as a hypo, but you weren't actually and you're sure your levels weren't that low, it could be a faulty batch of strips or something.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is as there was such a difference in readings how do I know that any reading is reliable?

Basically, we don't.

ISO 2013 guidelines on blood glucose meter accuracy bounds
Under the new standard, meters will need to meet the accuracy guidelines 95% of the time:
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Basically, we don't.

Under the new standard, meters will need to meet the accuracy guidelines 95% of the time:
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html
Thanks!