Bs readings

Paulm80

Hi all , so just a quick question about readings.
Went on a 11 mile hike this morning so when I got back I was in need of nourishment......
Decided to buy a Sunday roast and it included all the trimmings including 4 potatoes, parsnips , gravy and swede!
Got home 50 mins later and did a quick test - 9.3!! Oops!!
Just got to the 2 hour mark and tested again 5.6
Would a non diabetic go as high as that at he 50 minute mark or is that reading down to diabetes?
Thankyou

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting article here
https://thedrjoe.com/non-diabetic-blood-sugar-spikes/

Yes, a study showed that healthy non diabetics could peak at 9.3. And remember that your meter could be +- 1mmol/L out. But I'm not sure how relevant that is given that you're still reaching diabetic figures at other times. The 5.6 after the meal is excellent.

Once you reach 10 you'll be pushing sugar out into your urine, which is definitely not normal for non diabetics....

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi y'all - I just read the excellent dr joe blood sugar levels for health non-diabetics (thanks for posting link @EllieM).

My understanding of the article is that otherwise healthy, and nondiabetic folks spiking at 9.3 after a meal, were not considered to be metabolically stable, or definitely heading in that direction:

"...don’t be fooled into thinking your blood glucose levels are always normal after a meal just because you don’t have a diagnosis of diabetes. A lot of normal non diabetic people do swing their blood glucose levels.

The nearer you are to the diabetes door, the higher your blood glucose excursions when you eat."

and

"...for standardisation purposes, the 1 hour after eating blood glucose value of 140mg/dl (7.8mmol/l) for non-diabetics has become a reference point that doctors would recommend you aim for.

Just as a non-diabetic is expected to have blood sugar levels of 100mg/dl (5.5mmol/l) after fasting overnight."

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dr Joe's normal non-diabetic BG readings.png