Bs spike

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bs has been spiking every night, just after taking my nasal insulin injection for the past 5 days. So it’s a pattern I’ve just picked up on.. I ate a salad for tea, as originally I put it down to needing more insulin at teatime, so I ate earlier tonight and bs was 6.8 1.5 hours later, injected my basal and now it’s rising.

Anyone seen or heard this before?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bs has been spiking every night, just after taking my nasal insulin injection for the past 5 days. ... Anyone seen or heard this before?
You could be running out of basal action from the previous injection at this time. It takes 5+ hours for long-action insulin to get up to speed.
original.9852c245d4279d2eae0975b0cc29d324a656043cfa4ff4760abae5ceea2bafad.png

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could be running out of basal action from the previous injection at this time. It takes 5+ hours for long-action insulin to get up to speed.
original.9852c245d4279d2eae0975b0cc29d324a656043cfa4ff4760abae5ceea2bafad.png
I take humulin I, 4 units once a day at 10pm. This has only just started happening 5 days ago. My doctor told me that humulin I is only active for 18-20 hours. So I thought my basal would already be out of my system ?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It hard to know how long insulin lasts as duration is dose dependant. The larger the dose the longer it lasts. You are probably still making some of your own insulin too, which helps keep blood glucose down. But if it is rising at the same time of day, you may need more basal insulin action at that time. NPH (including Humulin I) is usually dosed twice daily. I inject it (Protaphane) in the morning and at 6 pm to get the cover I need. The Humulin I action profile looks something like this.

page_5.jpg

At 24 hours it is pretty much finished. If the spike has just started, you may want to test for longer before making a change. Also consider whether hormones, illness or stress could be causing it. But you will probably have to have NPH twice a day sooner or later anyway.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Our type 1 behaviors can change at any point in time. And they can change back the same way. I'm not sure how long you've been a type 1, but at the beginning we go through a honeymoon period where we still make insulin for a while until we completely stop, and that can take years for that process to happen. That means your insulin requirements will steadily increase.

But other things can change your normal pattern too, monthly hormone changes really throw some people off for a week every month. But there are lots of other things too. Infections, sleep patterns etc.

Humilin is not one of the most favored basal insulins nowadays. Generally it's twice a day for a more steady dose. It's cheaper if that's an issue, but some of the newer insulins are a lot more steady in how they work. Tresiba seems to be one of the preferred ones. I used to use Lantus. They seem to be a little more steady in how they work, but some people even split those into 2 doses when they have issues.

2000px-Insulin_short-intermediate-long_acting.svg.png