Bulk buying almond flour / ground almonds

BottomlessPit

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a lot of recipes asking for almond flour. I have successfully used ground almonds instead but still find it quite pricey. I wondered where everyone bought theirs from or whether you can get it cheaper by bulk buying?

Reactions: lakn20

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get several pkts of ground almonds when they are on offer (quite frequently at one or other of the big uk supermarkets)
I find ground almonds work fine in any recpe calling for almond flour - the latter is apparently a finer grind of almonds but ive not come across anything where that would make a difference to anything other than my pocket!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do the same as Boo. Tesco currently (and often) has Whitworths ground almonds 150g, 2 packs for £3. I’ve never used almond flour.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asda almost always has the Whitworths 150g packs at 3 for £3

maltham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
gym
My supplier is Wilton Wholefoods ( www.wiltonwholefoods.com) They supply a whole range of interesting things (flours, spices, nuts etc etc etc), often is bulk packets that are generally cheaper than the supermarkets.

If you live anywhere near South Wiltshire you can visit them at Salisbury Market on Tuesdays and Saturdays or pick up bulk orders at their place in Dowton.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BottomlessPit hello. Holland and Barrett stock almond flour. It is the same as ground almonds but finer. I do prefer it in baking when I can get it.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
A lot of the lchf recipes includem psyllium husks. Has anyone used them and if so where can I buy them?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of the lchf recipes includem psyllium husks. Has anyone used them and if so where can I buy them?
Try Amazon, or possibly Holland and Barrett - but Google will find stockists for you.

I've eaten LCHF and done a fair bit of baking over the last four years and apart from one awful experience with psyllium have never chosen or needed to use it in anything since then.:eek:

Robbity

PS Another vote for ground almonds, and I also tend to get it on offer - Whitworths is generally 2 for £3 from Ocado too, but they've recently had a good offer on their own (newish) brand.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
lidl sell ground almonds, cheaper than main supermarkets

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ebay has Psyllium at very competitive prices
Also its important to always differentiate between Psyllium husk and Powder.
So you don't ruin your cooking.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try Amazon, or possibly Holland and Barrett - but Google will find stockists for you.

I've eaten LCHF and done a fair bit of baking over the last four years and apart from one awful experience with psyllium have never chosen or needed to use it in anything since then.:eek:

Robbity

PS Another vote for ground almonds, and I also tend to get it on offer - Whitworths is generally 2 for £3 from Ocado too, but they've recently had a good offer on their own (newish) brand.
I tried it once for constipation. NEVER again. Within a few hours after downing it, I felt as if somebody was cutting up my intestines with a pair of Pinking Shears. I must be very allergic to it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it once for constipation. NEVER again. Within a few hours after downing it, I felt as if somebody was cutting up my intestines with a pair of Pinking Shears. I must be very allergic to it.

I'm relieved it wasn't just me then - I thought at first that I'd got appendicitis, and was quite ill for several days. (And I'd followed usage instructions to the letter....)

Robbity

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've tried it in low carbs bread and it was revolting. Going to have a go doing a bit of baking with almond or cooconut flour. I want to try some low carb gingernut biscuits

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it in cracker recipes and haven't had a problem. I don't detect any flavour from it, and it also helps (me at least) with, um, intestinal progress.... I buy it at our local health food shop and it's not cheap but not too expensive - I try and support local shops if possible. The particular cracker recipe soaks the seeds and psyllium husks in quite a lot of water for about 10-15 mins before baking and that might be better than using it 'straight'. Although, as @Robbity has mentioned, it can have nasty effects on people.

Reactions: deb1960

john23568

I have a lot of recipes asking for almond flour. I have successfully used ground almonds instead but still find it quite pricey. I wondered where everyone bought theirs from or whether you can get it cheaper by bulk buying?
go onto Amazon the almond flour is cheap and next day delivery ,Free if you are a prime member

Reactions: Ultramum

Queen_bee1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy ground almonds at Grape Tree for £8.99 for 1Kg, the cheapest I've found so far. They also sell Psyllium husks.

Musora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use ground almonds quite a lot and find that they work well - whether shop or home ground! The diet doctor site got me to use psyllium - I’d been avoiding it for ages due to its medicinal connections! I find it works really well in those recipes - you do need to leave it for at least 10-15 mins to soak up available liquid. I made low carb pastry today with it and it was delicious!

Reactions: Ultramum

CatseyesQQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get several pkts of ground almonds when they are on offer (quite frequently at one or other of the big uk supermarkets)
I find ground almonds work fine in any recpe calling for almond flour - the latter is apparently a finer grind of almonds but ive not come across anything where that would make a difference to anything other than my pocket!
Do we guess the supermarket?