New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
You couldn't write it.

We decided to go out for lunch as it is chucking it down here, went for a drive to what used to be a veggie restaurant but since they moved out of town do meat a bit too, to get more footfall. Nice meal, lowish carbs. So as we had driven a fair way down the island and it was still pouring we went home via the 'Big City' and Tescos. Who didn't have either Burgen or the bread suggested above. Hmm. It was heaving too, reminds me why I now live in a village. Soooo, went into the local Shoprite as we got near home (it's still 5 miles away in Ramsey) and they had ….an empty shelf marked 'Burgen'! So at least I do now know they definitely stock it, but not much of it. I'll try after work one evening maybe.

Try, try try again.

Reactions: Serena51

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I can't have the odd slice of Livlife (3.8g per slice) then I just do without these days - was also a bread addict............

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got my 6 week A1c result today, didn't expect much TBH but was hoping for a sign of reduction. I got it - 41! Down from 51 in 6 weeks, now I have to keep up the good works. No bread in the store again today :-(

Reactions: Listlad

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have Burgen. It was sold in our local Sainsburys and Tescos, but neither store has had it for a couple of months. I think they have stopped stocking it. I now have Hovis Lower Carb - 10g per slice. Less than Burgen, but it affects me more because it is wheat based and not soya and linseed based.

D

Deleted member 308541

If Herman Brott were to open up in the UK you would be able to get lower carb bread.

Nutrition info.

ODWe0wK.png

Two slices are 5 grams carbs.

2uAvWSz.jpg

https://hermanbrot.com.au/

Reactions: jjraak

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But your stores will stock Hovis. Look for the Lower Carb loaf.

There was a wink in there! ;););)

Our local stores don't keep much 'UK' bread, it is mostly on island made stuff. The only Hovis I have seen is 'normal' brown loaves. As I mentioned before Tescos is a 48 mile round trip. Manxies are very parochial when it comes to goods and foodstuffs, it is also cheaper of course with no food (ferry!) miles. Living here isn't like living on the Isle of Wight, this is a separate country with our own law, government and money. And food producers, who have never heard of low carb...… :arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my 6 week A1c result today, didn't expect much TBH but was hoping for a sign of reduction. I got it - 41! Down from 51 in 6 weeks, now I have to keep up the good works. No bread in the store again today :-(

Splendid news! WELL DONE!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@New Haven Neil

Mate i FEEL your pain.
bread junkie here..there I said it.

I can't see a meal...especially breakfast as complete without at least ONE slice of bread.

so i tried:...

Brown breads...Spiked
Wholemeal breads ...Spiked
Sour dough..nice ..spiked.

Ryvita....yeah yeah i know but it gives that CRUNCH of toast which i loved..No spike
5 g per 100 and had a CRUNCH..(did i already mention that I Like that it crunches )

whizz forward 10 months
wifes Girlfriend introduced me to these..OMG

KARG
12 G.per slice.but like heaven on the tongue
boursin cheese..close my eyes i'm on the promenade in cannes or nice..

But that's just me..10 months down the road i SEEM to handle carbs a little better
but every ones mileage will be different.

BUT in the hope that this was a secret i only recently found it.
(kudos to OP as i forget which thread i got it from.)
and trust me i made many many Microwave breads..all meh
and more then my share of crackers..(My god. i had no idea what half of these flours were..:wideyed: )

THIS has ..once cooled and sliced..*Ignore the colour once cooked.
been the closest to a BUN i have got.

i say BUN because the next time i make one, a quarter pounders going in between the two slices with lashing of Onions/tomato/mustard/BBQ sauce..

easy to try.

I bought a pestle and mortar, ages back.

Ground some of my morning nuts.(brazil,pecan'/walnuts/pistachio)
added Linseed/aka flaxseed/millseed..(lidl do a bag of it)
followed rest of recipe..cut in half..toasted it...Mmhh.nice

Try 90 secs bread -
30g ground nuts ( ground almonds/walnuts/millseed or any others you can find ready ground!! )

1/2 teaspoon baking powder ,

TINY..i said TINY salt to taste in a small microwave dish,
whisk in 1 egg with

almost 1 tablespoon of Olive oil.
go under rather then over

Put in microwave for 90 secs - LET COOL,

slice in half and toast!! Spread with butter .

Emphasis on the salt..As Type 2 i now eat all my meals pretty much made from scratch, so don't add salt to cooking.

but put a little salt in and it really tasted SALTY.
try adding the smallest amount, first time

i was impressed enough to make my missus taste it..nice, was the comment.

Nuff said.

also have , WHEN i can find it (spent ages looking for anyone who ACTUALLY had it on the shelves)
i normally buy a few and keep those Hi-lo loaves in the freezer, as well...but they are tiny slices.(8cm x 8cms).two to a normal sized loaf slice...

good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well in the interest of modern science, etc blah, blah.

Tonight I did make 90 second bread WITH the burger as I threatened.
IMG_20190803_213833~01.jpg

Toasted tasted great..added a little bulk and fibre to a pretty plain old burger.
I added fried onion, frozen peppers, a little chopped tomato and added in a few chopped jalapeno peppers from a jar.

DELISH.
So I may have sorted out my HAMBURGER embargo issue...:D

Nice as a burger on lettuce leaf is..it leaves a lot I still desire missing.
And while cooking keto bread is possible, :***:
It's just so not me.

A Hilo loaf in the freezer, for those times I want a little slice and the 90 second bread when it needs a meatier bit of bread that leaves me with less guilt.

nom, nom, nom..:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mate.

I understand your plight being based in IOM. Getting on the ferry for a food shop on the mainland isn’t plausible for most people.

I used to buy Burgen bread from M and S in Douglas when I was living there in Douglas. Only because I liked it. At that time I knew very little about low carbing, well nothing really. Have you tried looking for the lower carb Hovis in Tesco or Shoprite?

There are a couple of bonuses though in terms of island life and Type 2 diabetes. Less fast food outlets and a bonus with Isle of Man Creameries.

PS. I believe Ramsey bakery actual make some of the bread for M and S . Had you considered popping in to them up there in Ramsey?

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a wink in there! ;););)

Our local stores don't keep much 'UK' bread, it is mostly on island made stuff. The only Hovis I have seen is 'normal' brown loaves. As I mentioned before Tescos is a 48 mile round trip. Manxies are very parochial when it comes to goods and foodstuffs, it is also cheaper of course with no food (ferry!) miles. Living here isn't like living on the Isle of Wight, this is a separate country with our own law, government and money. And food producers, who have never heard of low carb...… :arghh:
Been there. Got the t shirt. LOL.

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Mate.

I understand your plight being based in IOM. Getting on the ferry for a food shop on the mainland isn’t plausible for most people.

I used to by Burgen bread from M and S when I was there. Only because I liked it. At that time I knew very little about low carbing, well nothing really. Have you tried looking for the lower carb Hovis in Tesco or Shoprite?

There are a couple of bonuses though in terms of island life and Type 2 diabetes. Less fast food outlets and a bonus with Isle of Man Creameries.

PS. I believe Ramsey bakery actual make some of the bread for M and S . Had you considered popping in to them up there in Ramsey?

We live in Andreas, so the 'far north' LOL. Not seen it in M&S when we have looked, Shoprite in Ramsey have a space on a shelf for it but never actually seen any on it to buy - must be a load of diabetics in Ramsey nicking it first! Ramsey Bakery won't talk, tried to deal with them before (work at the time) the guy is an *******. We'll catch it in Shoprite one day.

New Indian in Ramsey (Vellikas) is very good, South Indian cuisine totally different to the usual fare and not too bad diet wise. If you don't have rice that is.....

Post ed. By mod for profane language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We live in Andreas, so the 'far north' LOL. Not seen it in M&S when we have looked, Shoprite in Ramsey have a space on a shelf for it but never actually seen any on it to buy - must be a load of diabetics in Ramsey nicking it first! Ramsey Bakery won't talk, tried to deal with them before (work at the time) the guy is an a$$h*le. We'll catch it in Shoprite one day.

New Indian in Ramsey (Vellikas) is very good, South Indian cuisine totally different to the usual fare and not too bad diet wise. If you don't have rice that is.....
Okay. I did venture into Andreas one time. It’s a nice area.

What many will not be aware of is the Manx Mile, somewhat longer than the U.K. mile.. Though the flip side of that is the no speed limit on the mountain road.

I was lucky in that I was able to fall out of my office door into M and S.

I notice Amazon was mentioned in an earlier post but given that Amazon are challenged on delivery there and we are talking foodstuffs, then it might not be a workable solution.

How about the Noa bakery? They seem to be bread connoisseurs?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While we are discussing the IOM, how many, like me, didn't realise that it wasn't in the UK or the EU?