Burning legs when exercising

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I've changed out my daily power walk these past few weeks for riding around on my push bike, and quite hard with it.

One thing I have noticed is that my legs burn really, really badly! I usually ease off when they do and it will dissipate until I go hard at it again. It's got to the point that my legs will burn far sooner than I would be say well out of breath or just plain weak from going flat out. When I was younger I never had this level of burning before.

I thought it might be age (I'm 56 & 64kg's).......but apparently it could be Diabetes related according to google.

Past 6 months or so I also get burning in my upper arms if I stretch too much with them say when reaching to the back of a high cupboard. My physio reckons that was tendinitis and I've exercised most of that out but it's still there to some degree.

Any help/advice/suggestions?

Ian.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Questions really.....
Is it worse in your calves when you walk? I've got claudication which does affect my thighs too when I cycle. But with diet (low carb high fat) and exercise, mine has eased. (I'm 61 and a bit porkier than you too!)
Have you had your circulation checked out?
Your weight sounds good, how's your glucose management? HbA1C?
Are you a smoker?

For anything medical, your doc is the first port of call really.
Best of luck

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Questions really.....
Is it worse in your calves when you walk? I've got claudication which does affect my thighs too when I cycle. But with diet (low carb high fat) and exercise, mine has eased. (I'm 61 and a bit porkier than you too!)
Have you had your circulation checked out?
Your weight sounds good, how's your glucose management? HbA1C?
Are you a smoker?

For anything medical, your doc is the first port of call really.
Best of luck

Non-smoker.
Yes I get it a little in my calfs when power walking.
HbA1C is 44........quite well under control.
Not sure about circulation, but I am guessing I am ok.

Will see how it goes after next few weeks. Haven't biked like this in many years!

Ian.

Reactions: Jo_the_boat

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it your quads that burn when cycling hard?
Maybe you’re using muscles you’ve not used much for a while, I cycle 3 or 4 times a week (albeit on peleton) and my legs burn when I get over 100 cadence

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Front of thigh, mid way between knee and crotch. Quadriceps i think they are.
Yep, its when I cycle hard......the burning grows pretty quick after starting then gets very painful.

Cheers for info, will look them up.

Ian

Last edited:

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Front of thigh, mid way between knee and crotch. Quadriceps i think they are.
Yep, its when I cycle hard......the burning grows pretty quick after starting then gets very painful.

Cheers for info, will look them up.

Ian
To be fair, my thighs burn like hell on the longish climb I do (3 miles approx).
It's an electrically assisted bike from which I can demand a lot of help or none. Plenty on the climb though!
But the pain subsides to nothing after half a minute.
If you find you are struggling with a normal bike, don't be afraid to look at an electric one.
It reopened a world for me I thought had gone for good.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can increase the possibility of Lactic Acidosis. I used to get a burning sensation when I walked, and it would desist after a short pause. Just a thought.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Metformin can increase the possibility of Lactic Acidosis. I used to get a burning sensation when I walked, and it would desist after a short pause. Just a thought.

Oh!.......and I read it can be VERY dangerous. I think I'll consult with my GP.

Cheers!

Ian.

Reactions: Oldvatr

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Your muscles will adapt, get stronger and should burn less over time. Your body will do a certain amount of vascular remodeling as you adapt. All good things. No pain no gain lol. Provide your body with the tools to adapt, eat good (protein), sleep good.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Spoke to doctor today (gotta love NHS eConsult)..........nothing immediately to worry about since my organs per my last bloods are all functioning ok.....however she is going to consult with one her more knowledgeable colleagues in this area to make sure. Doc just thinks its part age and part lack of muscle mass in legs........for now I can continue exercise.

Went out on bike tonight before tea (4 miles hard'ish) and came back and did a blood sugar test....4.4. I'll take that...:)

Reactions: Oldvatr