Burning skin sensation.

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all experienced people of this site,
I am new to this (like most people) and have plenty of questions I am sure someone will be able to answer.
I was diagnosed last T2D last October, so still have a lot to learn about the condition (despite all my father side of the family having it) but right now one thing is bothering me amongst many : I have this unpleasant burning feeling around my ankles..I assume is a consequence of diabetes?
Does it go away..or is there a way to make it stop?!?!
Help!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all experienced people of this site,
I am new to this (like most people) and have plenty of questions I am sure someone will be able to answer.
I was diagnosed last T2D last October, so still have a lot to learn about the condition (despite all my father side of the family having it) but right now one thing is bothering me amongst many : I have this unpleasant burning feeling around my ankles..I assume is a consequence of diabetes?
Help!

Can't diagnose you and shouldn't try anyway. I do have a burning sensation in my feet, generally at night, not anywhere near as bad as it used to be when my BG was higher. Had it for about five years. It's a form of peripheral neuropathy and it is associated with diabetes. I'm now back at normal BG levels so I'm assuming that the residual tingling is permanent damage.

tikievans

I use Alpha Lipoic Acid to halt and reduce my diabetic neuropathy. I have had T2D for 10 years and the ALA seems to have halted any further progression, along with dietary control of course.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have this unpleasant burning feeling around my ankles..I assume is a consequence of diabetes?

Probably best to get it checked out. It's easy to assume things are a result of diabetes when there are other simple reasons that your doctor will know about (eg vitamin deficiencies or reactions to medications). If it's diabetes related then keeping your levels as normal as possible should help, or at a minimum stop it getting worse.

Good luck.

ps edited to add. And welcome to the forums.

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies!

I would like to specify I am not trying to ‘self diagnose’ but just to look after myself as if I don’t I’m not sure who will.

My GP doesn’t seem to be interested as I already contacted them last week as I had some really weird headaches as well as this burning feeling (which is constant throughout the day).

I too suggested a vitamin deficiency and asked for a blood test but he gave me a regular HbA1c blood test; I requested to add at least some basic vitamin check such as B12, D and other basic ones. Reluctantly he added vitamin D to the list but that was it.

I am not on medications right now so surely can’t be any adverse reaction; I take some vitamin supplements including MSM and I did ask if this was a good idea or I should stop and I am still not sure what his answer was on this topic...hence I turned to asking questions around for ‘self-help’ rather than ‘self-diagnosis’.

Like I mentioned in my original post everyone in my family has TD2 (only one uncle had TD1) and the latest diabetes-related death was only last year when my uncle died after suffering a few strokes after a couple of toes amputation (another uncle had his heel amputated).

So I don’t want to jump to conclusions but genetic is not by my side and medical help is scarce to say the least, so I resorted to this forum for inspiration which my help prolong my life and hopefully keep my feet intact ;)

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi biker, I don’t mind sharing but I haven’t done the blood test..yet.

Since I came off metformin only a couple of months ago (end of January) I wanted to wait at least 3 full months to have a real picture rather than an estimated one; I check my BG throughout the day and use mySugr to record results which is giving me an estimated HbA1c of 34.5 mmol/mol although not sure how accurate that is (when I was diagnosed last October it was 96).

Somehow I don’t feel an HbA1c test would shed more lights on my symptoms. Worth mentioning I feel a rush (of blood? Sugar?) to my head every time I put food in my mouth, whether my meal has carbs or not (unless that is normal with the condition?). I try keep the amount of carbs per meal below 20gr as anything higher and BS goes through the roof. I am still not sure what to make of the readings as my understanding is that ‘normal’ is having an increase of 2 mmol after 2 hours of a meal; However, since I feel weird as soon as I start putting the first mouthful in, I check after the hour and then the second and sometime after 3 hours and I noticed that most times after 1 hour BG is rather high (i.e. from 4.5 pre-meal goes to 10) but then settles to ‘normal’ (+2mmol) after 2 hours. ..so not sure whether that is normal too and I should just take into account the reading after 2 hours and dismiss the high levels after the hour??

Should I do the test anyway?