Burnout?

MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been struggling recently with blood sugar control and feeling at a loose end, having anxiety and general mental health issues mixed with feeling like I'm the worst diabetic ever results in some pretty terrible feelings.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things they found helpful for dealing with stuff like this?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @MeganTetley
welcome to the forum :)
I have had my times feeling like that and it really is quite a common thing to have happen.

we deal with this disease 24 hours a day , 7 days a week .
It never takes a holiday.:(

but i would like to think that the fact you have shared this with all of us lovely people here on the forum - that is the first step to feeling better about yourself.

I am going to tag some of my fab friends to come along with their support too.
@Mrsass , @becky.ford93 ,@Juicyj , @azure , @MH2010 , @wiserkurtious , @Jaylee ,

do keep posting on here :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Megan, don't beat yourself up about the way you've been feeling, it's totally normal for people to feel like this!

Are you seeing anyone about your anxiety?

When you're stressed or anxious it can have an effect on your bgs and make them harder to control. Do you take all your medication when you're supposed to?

Xx

Reactions: 2 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
Most people with type 1 go through this at some stage. When your mind is constantly on a condition that could make you pass out at any given time it's hard not to succumb to anxiety. Just try and take baby steps. No one is perfect and you're never gonna be able to get everything sorted in a day, it takes time to get back on track. Just try and set yourself small goals and don't beat yourself up if it takes a while to achieve them.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MeganTetley

Sorry you're feeling down. Diabetes is very wearing and I think we all go through times when it's a struggle.

Don't set yourself unobtainable targets. Try to do a few tiny steps eg test more, or choose a meal to perfect the insulin dose for.

I also recommend walking. Not so much for the effect on blood sugar, but because I find a good walk helps when you're feeling down.

Mindfulness can also be good. Even a few minutes practise a day can help calm the stress a little.

Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
I've been struggling recently with blood sugar control and feeling at a loose end, having anxiety and general mental health issues mixed with feeling like I'm the worst diabetic ever results in some pretty terrible feelings.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things they found helpful for dealing with stuff like this?
Thanks

Kinda in the same situation,had like 3 hours sleep last night due to issues but when woke up this morning I looked out the window and thought,do you know what I'm happy to be here the sun is shining,ya I've issues but am not going to let things get me down,3 hours sleep still go up did a hours weightlifting 3 mile run and off to work i go,all I would say is try and be positive I know it get hard sometimes :) hugs from me too you

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear @MeganTetley,
there's a useful book by Bill Polonski, 'Diabetes Burnout', which I found very useful. It provides ideas, motivation and also some forms to help the reader to set his/her own goals and keep track of their progress. The author as well suggests taking one step at a time. As for the guilt feeling (you are not the worst diabetic ever, as long as I'll be around!), what I found really supportive were the online articles of dr. Claresa Levethan, especially 'The diabetes guilt trip', which I think is great in putting things in the right perspective.
I hope you will soon feel better, let us know and keep posting.

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi MeganTetly
Its hard when it just isn't going right the best thing is to be open about your feelings don't hide them as it can make things worse why not speak to your diabetic nurse or even just a friend it really helps to talk about it and take it one day at a time it doesn't become perfect overnight

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum