mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hear ya :/)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

elaine77

Yep been there.... The other one is 'how can you be type 1 if ur not on insulin'. Bork.....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

elaine77

Why do you need to be on Insulin to be typified as type 1? I know type2s that are insulin dependent but they are not type 1 clearly....

Since the 80s 90s the medical profession has known about LADA which is a slow onset form of type 1 diabetes where the beta cells are killed off very slowly by the immune system meaning that you keep some insulin production for a certain period of time, sometimes years, which means you do not need insulin in the early days but will do eventually.

Type 1 diabetes is not insulin-dependent diabetes it is autoimmune diabetes and this has been the case for years now. Due to the fact both type 1 and type 2 diabetics can be insulin dependent the only correct way to distinguish between the two types is to refer to them as autoimmune diabetes and non-autoimmune diabetes.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is also no known timescale from which the person "deteriorates" from having lada to full blown insulin dependancy. Thinking about myself know and all all the symptoms I had probably had the start of it undetected 3~4 years before going dka and in in a and e on insulin for life. Besides the lethargy headaches a major sign for me was that I need glasses for 3 years and suddenly after starting insulin did not need them, surely a sign. Thankfully have had 2 yearly retinal screenings with no problems detected :)

Pepsi Max

According to the book "think like a pancreas" the type of diabetes you have is defined by what caused it, not how it is treated"

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

elaine77

My consultant told me that type 1 isn't usually hereditary but can be... He said that type 2 had more of a genetic disposition than type 1 though type 1 could be hereditary if there are a lot of autoimmune diseases in a family.... I think it's more the autoimmune issue that's hereditary rather than the diabetes.... No one in my family has ever had either type of diabetes so it wasn't hereditary in my case.

There is a type of diabetes called MODY which is completely genetic and ONLY runs in families...maybe they have that type...

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as elaine said I think the issue is the autoimmune disorder. My mother had psoriasis, and my brother has asthma both auto immune. I'm the first in my family to develop type 1, no aunts, uncles grandparents with it. Lucky me. Guess its pot luck as to which autoimmune disorder wil develop through no fault of the person.

thebassist84

Yeah I'm the only t1 in my family. Not even any auto immune conditions! My birth was a difficult one and I had some health issues as an infant that required surgery. That's the only thing anyone can link it too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My cousin was the first T1 in our family. Closest link to autoimmune is my mother, her Maternal Aunt, has psoriasis. She was diagnosed 11 years ago...... And then I got it too.

In swaying more towards a hereditary link but obviously that is not yet proven

elaine77

Yep same here no autoimmune diseases in my family either....aren't I the lucky one? Then again the trigger for me is thought to be stress but...that doesn't explain the GD which i had 2 years before the stress and the new diagnosis? Don't think I will ever know "why me" so I've mostly stopped asking that question now...7 months later!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Nobody has said that to me, as a slim T2, but I am well aware that the assumption is that if you are T2 you are over weight (and also that losing the weight will cure you).

Cheers

LGC

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Here is another very interesting thread with possible 'trigger' with Diabetes ...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34555&hilit=virus+cause+diabetes

I have always been tiny [body] and after getting pneumonia then septis infections was diagnosed
with diabetes .
Everyone kept telling me the weightloss [1.5 stone] and tiredness was due to me battling
off these severe illnesses .
I believed them - as at the time - it did make sense this was relevant/related facts!

Even my thyroid had bombed 'AGAIN' so they thought it was this autoimmune condition again!
Became hypothyroid straight after my one and only pregnancy 28years ago!

It was down to my lovely family doctor who had a hunch - ordered some fasting blood tests.
After admitting I was getting no energy back or proper progress and was drinking enormous
amounts of fluids.
Called me into see him after his surgery to break the news to me .
I was BLAZING angry :evil: for the next 6months as had battled my way back from severe illnesses to
be hit with DIABETES !!! Through no fault of my own looking back at things .

This other thread link - does shed a lot of light on illness/stress playing an impacting
factor on diagnosis of diabetes .
I do feel this is something to certainly consider also here in this topic and thread .

I am the only member in my family to have Diabetes 'properly' as the rest have/are borderline
both of my parents and my daughter also .
They are all being tested and checked every 3monthly at their family GP's, diabetic clinics .
[my mums mother] was also borderline too .
So yep there is a possible genetic link ?

Anna .

Mel24

Well my sister has celiac disease my dad and grandma are border line diabetic,and also my daughters suffer from allergies and eczema so autoimmune disease seems to run in the family.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people get stupid ideas in to their heads and will not be parted from them. I am type 1 and have been offered the remark "really? You don't look diabetic" on more than one occasion. If it happens again I must ask what a diabetic should look like!

Pepsi Max

Same here, I'm only one in my family with Diabetes (type 1) , so I'm the lucky one, wish I was as lucky when playing the lotto!!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!