But you can't be diabetic, you're so slim

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting thoughts on the autoimmune thing, my father has psoriasis, his father developed mild parkinsons in later life, I had childhood eczema, not sure if those are related.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So many misconceptions, another is you can't be diabetic as you look so well :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
noblehead said:
So many misconceptions, another is you can't be diabetic as you look so well :)
Thats a good one!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

elaine77

Come to think of it I had childhood asthma and childhood eczema....never considered those could've had anything to do with this LADA....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also had childhood eczma lol. Cleared up all together in teens. Didn't even think of that till I read ur post.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Cinderella

As a petite T2 I wish I had a pound for every time I hear the "I can't believe you're diabetic " line as i'd be rich! I've heard of wearing your heart on your sleeve but not your pancreas.

My Mum had rheumatoid arthritis which I believe is an autoimmune disease, wonder if there's connection with that.

Cinders

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get the "but you aren't fat. How can you be diabetic?" Lines too sometimes.

Both me and my sister have type 1. My great uncle was type 2 and my grandad had type 1 as well. Asthma also exists in my family.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I often get "but you're so good looking with a body like a gladiator" to be diabetic !
So annoying ;-)

lynde89

Just the other day I got "but your so young, & you're not overweight! You must have ate a lot of sugar huh?" - yeah that's it, you hit the nail on the head! :eek:/. It doesn't help when I told them I've had it for 20 years now, so I'm not 'so young', at least they now know that kids have it too I guess!

I have been getting it more since I had my tattoo done, but see it as spreading awareness :)

Matilda14919

I found out I had diabetes 9yr ago when I was 14 they did some test found out my mum was diabetic and so was my late maternal grandpa and paternal grandpa so it definitely runs in the family and I'm part Nigerian

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Thundercat said:
Some people get stupid ideas in to their heads and will not be parted from them. I am type 1 and have been offered the remark "really? You don't look diabetic" on more than one occasion. If it happens again I must ask what a diabetic should look like!

Ah Thundercat you made me smile, I have had that one too! I'm quite active, an avid gym 'goer' and it seems people just can't compute that we can have type 1 and look perfectly healthy too. Goes to show!

Andrea616570

The way it was explained to me, a type 1 diabetic (after what they used to call the "honeymoon period") makes NO INSULIN on their own. So it's a pretty safe bet that they must take insulin in one way or another, if they expect to live...
That, by definition would be a safe way to distinguish type 1 from type 2. Type 2's are harder to nail down because SOME TIMES: they make a bit of insulin, can control with diet alone, need oral meds, don't make any insulin, need to take insulin...or all sorts of combinations of the above, as long an actual paradox is not created.
I've had type 1 since the age of seven... 44 years this August. But still haven't nearly learned all the caveats of this stuff!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
andywright said:
I get the ''Should you be eating that?'' more and find it very annoying!! :(

My mother in law (Type 2, morbidly obese) started on that tack with me, until I pointed out the difference.

Most other people have just asked me "so do you have to change your diet now? But you were always a healthy eater anyway weren't you?"

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

High school reunion :)
We have kept in touch and meet up every 2-3 years, even now .

I had/got/heard - YOU :shock: cant be diabetic as you were always so skinny .
Gets 'worse' folks - YOU'RE :shock: not even porky or fat or overweight now either .
How's THAT/THIS happened to 'YOU' ? ? ? :shock:
[ had to keep repeating my story of diagnosis etc all night ]

Oh dear - there are so many misconceptions out there in general isn't there :crazy:
I feel and think it is lack of awareness and eductation combined about Diabetes .
The media newspapers DONT help matters either with their coverage's of diabetes/obesity .
It just sends the same negative picture to peoples mentality we all have to be the same to have
Diabetes .

Was 'both' knackered and annoyed with having to keep explaining REAL facts and matters over and over again :x

Anna .

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think most TYPE1s would agree that type1 and type2 diabetes should really have completely different names.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James. The problem is that diabetes is a continuous spectrum of failure mechanisms so the two categories are artificial and it would make things even worse if the two groups were given different names. I guess you could try to categorise or name by lack of insulin (type 1'ish) versus insulin resistance (type 2'ish). I'm one of those in-betweenies and refer to myself as T1.5 although officially T2. The problem with T2 is that it's a container with some people (around 15%) who are slim and will need insulin eventually but who may be treated as insulin resistant. Similarly some HCPs assume T1 is only experienced by the very young whereas it can be very late onset. DUK seem to have taken the easy route and ignore the in-betweenies; not very helpful either for treatment or research. Ho-hum.