Buying a pump steps? Wanting to start family soon.

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am seeing my GP about buying a pump as I have become quite frustrated with jumping through the NHS hoops and my endocrinologist makes me feel quite guilty about all the paperwork involved, they also keep trying to push me into having a patch pump which isn’t what I would prefer (cheapest option for them). I have saved up enough to cover the initial costs and also can cover the consumables so I’m well informed about that side of things, but has anybody gone through this before?

When I approach my GP I don’t really know what to say other than I want to have the pump as I know due to the combination of health issues I have it would vastly change my quality of life. He is very pro pump and is the person who managed to support me getting referred to the hospital pump clinic.

Do you need to go through as many steps when getting a pump this way? I am wanting to start a family soon (already taking folic acid for 3 months) and as my sugars are hard to control via injections I am keen to be on a pump asap.

Do you need GP and hospital support?

I assume this way you also get to choose which pump you’d prefer, that suits your lifestyle best?

Any information about the process would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
“my endocrinologist makes me feel quite guilty about all the paperwork involved”

Have you asked if your GP can refer you to another Hospital where the Diabetes Team might have a greater sense of supporting their patients?
I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I think this is very concerning that you may be being denied and yet eligible for funding for a selection of more effective pump solutions.

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dexta It’s ok, if I had to be re referred I could be waiting another year or more (current wait time in my area) and I don’t have the time to wait, I’m 31 and 32 fast approaching. I want to have the best control I can asap so I can start trying for a baby (best efforts with MDI but it’s not enough, I’ve really tried) so just want to have advice about how I can *hopefully* speed this up…I have no idea if it actually will but I am getting quite desperate and am tired of feeling unwell and depressed because my life keeps getting put on hold with all the hoops to jump through. I have had a pump trial and it was fantastic, amazing results, but it has been over a year since that trial!

• Hug
Reactions: Mrs HJG and Dexta

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Dexta It’s ok, if I had to be re referred I could be waiting another year or more (current wait time in my area) and I don’t have the time to wait, I’m 31 and 32 fast approaching. I want to have the best control I can asap so I can start trying for a baby (best efforts with MDI but it’s not enough, I’ve really tried) so just want to have advice about how I can *hopefully* speed this up…I have no idea if it actually will but I am getting quite desperate and am tired of feeling unwell and depressed because my life keeps getting put on hold with all the hoops to jump through. I have had a pump trial and it was fantastic, amazing results, but it has been over a year since that trial!
I don’t know if this will help at all, but a Type1 daughter of a friend of mine has had two healthy babies in the last three years, without a pump. Her hospital diabetes team supplied her with Dexcom6, and she was told to try to keep her readings at 6 or below at all times, while they monitored her.

Good luck.