BYETTA

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Carolyn and welcome to the forum.

Let us know how you get on with Byetta and please just ask if there's anything you are not sure about.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Carolyn,

I just noticed that on the Welcome forum you mention that you are currently on insulin. You haven't said whether you will be continuing on insulin alongside the Byetta, but if you do then you will need to reduce the insulin dose. Generally a reduction of insulin by a third or a half is recommended. If this isn't done then you will be over-producing insulin and will hypo.

carolynjw

thanks for the heads-up Dennis.

Yes - my nurse has decreased my night-time dose from 68 to 46, and my day time doses from 38 to 20 (in the first instance). I need to speak to her on Friday to see how things are progressing.

:mrgreen:

Denis

Hi julie

Regarding the cold, I don't think its the losing weight side of Byetta, well not in the beginning anyway, as I started feeling colder within the 2nd to 3rd week on it, so I don't think I would have lost a significant amount of weight in that short time, so it's either me or some other reason, then again would it be cause your bs is coming down, my bs started reducing almost at once, but how would that make you feel colder. ????????????? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Denis !!
Hope I got it right this time?

I have been on the 10mg dose for the last 4 weeks and (touch wood) have had no side effects at all. This was a surprise to me as I thought everybody was sick as the proverbial parrot. I just haven't been. I did get slight headaches when I started on the 5mg dose but that soon wore off. It may be my constitution is used to being battered - I was a Guinness drinking curryholic before all this started. A reformed chap now though. I'm 60 and I would like a few more years yet - surprising how it focuses the mind !!

I have found that my BG's have dropped dramatically throughout the day and most are well within the target guidelines I was given. i.e. No more than 4 - 7 on waking and no more than 8.5 two hours after meals. I have also adjusted my diet substantially as well. I find that a sensible low carb, low fat, low salt regime is also helping. One thing I now do is keep a food diary of what I eat and compare it to BG readings. It is amazing the difference some things can make to your BG levels. With the diary I know what to avoid now.

Since starting Byetta over two months ago I have lost aroun 4 kilos in weight, my HbA1c has dropped from 8.3% to 6.9% without any real effort. With the Spring coming ???? I hope to get out and about and do some extra walking. Hopefully this will help even more. I just wish I had been put on this earlier. One thing that never ceases to amuse me is why would anyone put a largeish Diabetic who is trying to lose weight on medication which has the specific side effect of weight gain?? I had been fighting a losing battle until this came my way.

Hope you get on as well as me.
Cheers
Ken

[

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

cugila said:
Since starting Byetta over two months ago I have lost aroun 4 kilos in weight, my HbA1c has dropped from 8.3% to 6.9% without any real effort. With the Spring coming ???? I hope to get out and about and do some extra walking. Hopefully this will help even more. I just wish I had been put on this earlier. One thing that never ceases to amuse me is why would anyone put a largeish Diabetic who is trying to lose weight on medication which has the specific side effect of weight gain?? I had been fighting a losing battle until this came my way.
Hi Ken,

I guess you were aiming this at the other Denis but I'm sure you won't mind if I answer your point above. From discussions I have had with GPs and consultants, it appears that over the course of 5 years training in medical school, the amount of time devoted to diabetes amounts to just a few hours. And yet this is a problem we are told is at epidemic proportions and more people die from diabetic complications than all the cancers put together! With so little training devoted to it, it is hardly surprising that GPs are not experts on either the diagnosis or the treatment of diabetes. One of the things that becomes painfully obvious in reading the stories from members of the forum is how little understanding there is of diabetes in the medical profession below consultant level.

Denis

Hi ken

Yes you got the right Denis this time, trust you to bring currys into the equation, your talking to another curry addict,

Maybe your lack of side effects is due to eating curry :lol: or is it the beer, well if not then it's a **** good excuse for a night out, then fall in 1am wake up to a thumping headache,sick as a parrot then tell the wife it was the Byetta :? (what an excuse to get out of an earbashing)

Anyway it's 6 day's on the 10mg, so far apart from a little bit of nausea everything seems ok, apart from feeling slightly washed out with no energy, then again that might just be me.

As for your quote Dennis, I was constantly asked by my surgery to be treated by there diabetic nurse and monitored by my GP, but I stuck to my guns and continued to travel the extra 7 miles to my hospital diabetic clinic where my consultant put me on Byetta, I wonder, if Byetta was the best treatment for me, then why has my GP not put me on it or even mentioned it, is it because of ignorance or cost, even if Byetta can only be prescribed by a consultant, then why did my GP not bring up Byetta, and that it may be the best treatment for me, how many diabetics out ther are in the same boat.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Dennis
You are absolutely right.
I was diagnosed T2 in 1989 and my GP was great. He freely admitted that as he wasn't an expert he would pack me off to see a man who was - an Endocrinologist Consultant. This guy got everything under control for several years before I ended up with a Triple Bypass Heart op and after that things started to go downhill. My GP sent me to see the expert again and after some time of trying various things suggested Byetta to me. The rest you know.
While I saw my GP for prescriptions and the odd check up during this time I also saw the Practice Nurse at the Surgery for Diabetic checks. She saw fit to lecture me about I should be eating all the stuff I have now cut back on, tell me my BG control was not good ( I already knew that because I kept a diary) and then she would weigh me and mutter disaprovingly. Oh, she did tickle my feet as well - didn't realise you could get that on the NHS ? My GP has actually stated that I know more about my condition than he does !! He also said to humour the PN as she is good with the patients ? Pity there aren't a few more around like him who know their limitations.
Cheers
Ken

I guess you were aiming this at the other Denis but I'm sure you won't mind if I answer your point above. From discussions I have had with GPs and consultants, it appears that over the course of 5 years training in medical school, the amount of time devoted to diabetes amounts to just a few hours. And yet this is a problem we are told is at epidemic proportions and more people die from diabetic complications than all the cancers put together! With so little training devoted to it, it is hardly surprising that GPs are not experts on either the diagnosis or the treatment of diabetes. One of the things that becomes painfully obvious in reading the stories from members of the forum is how little understanding there is of diabetes in the medical profession below consultant level.[/quote]

Denis

Hey everyone
I think I am having a problem with my pen, when I inject obviously turning the plunger to dose up then injectin, pushing the plunger down, counting slowly to 10, watching the arrow turn in the little window, then when I have finished I have found that if you exert more pressure on the blue button on top of plunger although it doesnt move anymore, I still find a stream of about 3 inches of Byetta squirting out, obviously I have not had my full dose, I contacted lilly who told me that you have to exert more pressure on the blue button on the 10m dose than the 5m because its a bigger dose, try it for yourselves, you can then judge how much pressure is needed to fully administer the Byetta,

Don't assume that because the arrows have moved in the window, and that the plunger will go no further that you have had your full dose, when you have finished injectin, before taking the needle off the pen try exerting more pressure on the blue button to make sure you are having your full dose, lilly say they are aware of the problem and are awaiting more feedback.

PS it is normal to have a tiny drop of Byetta at the end of the needle after injectin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Denis
There have been faulty pens as this forum will testify, but they are very rare. I presume you have reset the pen after you first encountered this??

Are you testing your BG's at all throughout the day. If you are getting good readings I would think you are getting the full dose. Any injector pen will always have a small residue left after the measured dose is delivered. This residue can look quite a lot when it's squirted out. My pen works exactly the same way but at no time have I thought I wasn't getting a full dose because my BG's are good. Let us know how you get on

Ken (Tandoori Chicken man now)

quote="Denis"]Hey everyone
I think I am having a problem with my pen, when I inject obviously turning the plunger to dose up then injectin, pushing the plunger down, counting slowly to 10, watching the arrow turn in the little window, then when I have finished I have found that if you exert more pressure on the blue button on top of plunger although it doesnt move anymore, I still find a stream of about 3 inches of Byetta squirting out, PS it is normal to have a tiny drop of Byetta at the end of the needle after injectin.[/quote]

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Denis,

I have had a couple of faulty pens over the last 20 months but as Ken said, they are pretty rare. I have always found that you do need to ensure that the plunger is down as far as it will go.

Denis

Yes Dennis, the plunger is down as far as it will go, its putting more pressure on the blue button that seems to make more squirt out, (what was faulty on your pens, out of interest)

Anyway I spoke to my diabetic nurse, she suggested I use different parts of my abdomen, as when you use your leg there is more resistance thus possibly preventing all of the Byetta coming out from the needle, so I will give it ago, I find it more comfortable in the abdomen anyway.

(Hey ken, mine's a dahnsak)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Denis,

In both cases the plunger just stopped delivering. No matter how you pressed it nothing came out. I only realised both times when my BS started to go up with no logical explanation, so tried re-priming it and found the mechanism just didn't work. I would certainly agree with your nurse about the injection sites. The stomach gives a much larger target area and usually has more fat than than the thighs, so less chance of repeat injections into the same site. I occasionally inject into my thighs (with a 5mm needle) just to give my stomach a rest, but I find my thighs are more sensitive. In my stomach (with an 8mm needle) I rarely feel it.

Pumpkin

I have been injecting Byetta for a week and fortunately have had only a little nausea (on day two.)

Please may I ask a handful of general questions?

1. I usually wait 5-10 mins after injecting before eating - what are the views on injecting and eating eating within a couple of minutes? (eg. when wife says 'dinner is ready NOW and on the table!) Is there an optimum time to wait?

2. For how long does the affect of an injection last... ? I take mine before breakfast (which is only a bowl of oat flakes). Does the injection remain effective over and beyond lunch until the pe-dinner jab?

3. Is the drug cumulative? Does its effect mount up with use?

4. For how long, roughly, does one remain on the 5 strength before proceeding onto the 10?

5. Typically - and I realise this will be a tricky generalisation to make - for how long can a person expect to be on Byetta before insulin is recommended? (I am on 2000 mg Metformin, 4mg amaryl - about 15 years - with an Hbac of 8.9 and climbing)

Thank you for your response. I don't think I have ever read about Byetta in Balance magazine - have I missed it?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Pumpkin,
The man who will no doubt answer all your questions is Dennis.
However I have been on Byetta for over 2 months now and it's the best thing since sliced bread (not too much !!) Only drawback is that when the Sun is out I seem to want to bask in it for some reason ! My answers aren't backed with science just good old fashioned common sense and past experience.
1. As far as I am concerned I find that injecting and then eating about half an hour later is effective for me, but I'm sure that others will have a different regime. It does help if you monitor your BG levels daily, especially 2 hrs after meals.

2. As far as I can make out it lasts about 4 hrs or so.

3. As my own Bg's are reducing all the time it probably does have a cumulative effect.

4. The general rule is that you remain on the 5 for 30 days and if there have been no adverse effects then you move onto the 10 dose. Posts on the forum indicate that some people remain on the 5 for longer - everybody is different.

5. I think this one is the same as "how long is a piece of string?" In my view if you get the same results as most of us 'lizard spit' users are getting you probably won't need to worry about that at all. Get your BG's down with a sensible low carb diet and exercise and the world is your lobster ( as Del says).
Anyway, nice to meet another convert.
Ken
Pumpkin said:
I have been injecting Byetta for a week and fortunately have had only a little nausea (on day two.)

Please may I ask a handful of general questions?

1. I usually wait 5-10 mins after injecting before eating - what are the views on injecting and eating eating within a couple of minutes? (eg. when wife says 'dinner is ready NOW and on the table!) Is there an optimum time to wait?

2. For how long does the affect of an injection last... ? I take mine before breakfast (which is only a bowl of oat flakes). Does the injection remain effective over and beyond lunch until the pe-dinner jab?

4. For how long, roughly, does one remain on the 5 strength before proceeding onto the 10?

5. Typically - and I realise this will be a tricky generalisation to make - for how long can a person expect to be on Byetta before insulin is recommended? (I am on 2000 mg Metformin, 4mg amaryl - about 15 years - with an Hbac of 8.9 and climbing)

Thank you for your response. I don't think I have ever read about Byetta in Balance magazine - have I missed it?

Aadrgon

cugila said:
Only drawback is that when the Sun is out I seem to want to bask in it for some reason !

If you start climbing walls and eating insects see your Doctor :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes

If you start climbing walls and eating insects see your Doctor :lol:[/quote]

I'm way past that stage - but I'm alright noooooooooooow.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Pumpkin said:
Hi Pumpkin

I generally try to inject around 20 mins before I eat, but quite often that doesn't work out and I eat within a couple of minutes of the jab (especially if I have done the cooking because I tend to forget to take it when I should). In the early months, the shorter the time between the injection and eating then the less likely you are to experience nausea. Once you are fully accustomed to it, nausea ceases to be a problem.

Byetta remains active for between 6 and 8 hours, which is why they say you must have a gap of at least 6 hours between the two daily injections.

Byetta has multiple functions and it would appear that some are cumulative but some are not. For example the triggering of the correct amount of insulin production start immediately from the first treatment and seems to stop very quickly if you stop taking it. Similarly it suppresses unnecessary glucose production by the liver, again from day 1. What has often been noted is that the weight reduction starts straight away on the 5mcg pen and, although it continues at the 10mcg level, it doesn't get more pronounced. Whereas reduction in BS seems to be much greater on 10mcg than on 5mcg.

The absolute minimum at 5mcg before increasing to 10mcg is 30 days. Some people who suffer badly from nausea need more than 30 days to acclimatise to 5mcg before they can be upped to 10. Some people manage to achieve perfectly good results in terms of weight loss and BS reduction on the 5mcg dose and never increase to 10mcg.

Your HBA1C is very high, in fact dangerously so. But if you are able to bring your BS level under control then you may never need insulin injections. It depends on two things:
- whether your pancreas is damaged and therefore simply unable to produce all the insulin your diet requires of it
- whether you are able to reduce the amount of carbohydrate in your diet to a level that your pancreas (with help from the Byetta) is able to deal with.
I my own case, a combination Byetta medication together with an understanding of which food types send my blood sugars soaring and which ones don't, have brought my BS levels down to non-diabetic levels. I am finding that maintaining that level is quite easy so, unless my pancreas decides to throw in the towel, I don't anticipate ever needing insulin.

I don't think I have ever read about Byetta in Balance magazine - have I missed it?
If I remember correctly there was a small feature about 6-9 months ago, but it hasn't received very much coverage.

You may need to watch out for hypos because the action of Byetta is to make your pancreas produce the appropriate amount of insulin for the food you have eaten. Amaryl is a sulphonylurea drug and the action is to simply force your pancreas to produce more insulin, regardless of whether or not it's needed. The larger the dose of Amaryl then the more insulin gets produced, and 4mg of Amaryl is the maximum dose so it will be forcing a large amount of insulin to be produced. So a combination of Byetta and 4mg Amaryl will be producing double the insulin that you need, and with a very high risk of hypos. Did your GP discuss with you a reduction in your Amaryl dose?

Denis

Why do we need to attend our diabetic clinics, when we have Dennis, :D who explains things much easier than my consultant or nurses put together, keep it up Dennis and thanks.

PS my wife is complaining about me basking naked on the roof, she does'nt mind that part of it so much but she's going mad at the cost of new slates every month :lol:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

I'm very tempted to say we need to attend the clinics because we all need a good laugh every now and again . . . . . but that would be naughty, so I'd better not!