BYETTA

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Phil,

There's a strange thing about how and when you get weight loss on Byetta. For some people it starts almost immediately, for others nothing much happens for a few months, then out of the blue the weight starts coming down. What most find though is the weight loss seems to stall, again for no apparent reason, sometimes for months at a time, and then will suddenly start again. It's almost as if the body is saying hang on a minute while I catch my breath before we get going again!

humph

Saw my consultant today, just waiting on bllod tests results to decide if I stay on the 5 and move upto the 10.

He has been told that the slow release version will be available from September and he plans to move me onto that straight away.

He reckons it will work better than standard Byetta.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

humph said:
Saw my consultant today, just waiting on bllod tests results to decide if I stay on the 5 and move upto the 10.

He has been told that the slow release version will be available from September and he plans to move me onto that straight away.

He reckons it will work better than standard Byetta.

Hi Humph.

Can I ask if you have any more info re the Byetta. I know about the once weekly trials but have no knowledge of this slow release version ? Not yet anyway ? searching again.
Have looked but can't find a definite release date for the once weekly Byetta..

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Humph,

I think that what your consultant was referring to is the new exenatide "once weekly" injection that will replace the twice a day version. However this was only submitted for FDA approval in the US on 5th May, which means that if approved this time (it was rejected last time*), it is unlikely to be available over there until autumn. As the UK usually follows around 6 to 12 months behind the States, I would be surprised to see it over here before the end of this year.

* The first Submission last November was rejected because the drug has been developed by Amylin but will be commercially marketed by Eli Lilly (as was the case with Byetta). Lilly hold a stock of the new drug, ready to launch it, but Amylin were unable to prove to the FDA that the drug version they had trialled was identical to the stocks that Lilly were holding.

humph

Dennis said:
Hi Humph,

I think that what your consultant was referring to is the new exenatide "once weekly" injection that will replace the twice a day version. However this was only submitted for FDA approval in the US on 5th May, which means that if approved this time (it was rejected last time*), it is unlikely to be available over there until autumn. As the UK usually follows around 6 to 12 months behind the States, I would be surprised to see it over here before the end of this year.

* The first Submission last November was rejected because the drug has been developed by Amylin but will be commercially marketed by Eli Lilly (as was the case with Byetta). Lilly hold a stock of the new drug, ready to launch it, but Amylin were unable to prove to the FDA that the drug version they had trialled was identical to the stocks that Lilly were holding.

Hi Dennis,

Yes the once weekly version. My consultant is confident that it will be available, to the extent that he has only given me a script to cover upto then. We will have to see.

It seems that been weekly, it will cover all meals, so should lead to improved control.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Dennis

As I have said before I have porridge for my breakfast and have done for years now as it is a very good start for my ibs. Anyway, are you saying that if I had a lower carb breakfast (my porridge is about 28 carbs) it might help the nausea?? I am prepared to try anything to help but I really cant face eggs, bacon, etc first thing in the morning - do you have any other low-carb suggestions.

Thanks Dennis, Jude :?

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi well ive been on byetta 1week 2 days now and ive got to say the sickness is wearing off thanks for the messages of good advice i also found ginger sweets in the local deli which were fantastic when it was bad now i just feel sickly now and again ive also shortened the gap between taking the byetta and my meal my sugar levels are a bit high at the moment i need to get doing more excercise i have lost 5 pounds in weight since i started the byetta thanks everyone for advice

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude ive just read your post i am also very distressed about my sugar levels been high saying that ive eaten very little in the last week and not kept a lot down my morning readings are the highest but because of feeling tired ive not had as much excercise with dog as usual so im blaming that at the moment we will see hope things get better for you soon

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Jude said:
Hi Dennis

As I have said before I have porridge for my breakfast and have done for years now as it is a very good start for my ibs. Anyway, are you saying that if I had a lower carb breakfast (my porridge is about 28 carbs) it might help the nausea?? I am prepared to try anything to help but I really cant face eggs, bacon, etc first thing in the morning - do you have any other low-carb suggestions.

Thanks Dennis, Jude :?

Hi Jude.
Just an aside before Dennis arrives ?

For my breakfasts I have a small 'Pink Lady' apple and a couple of chunks of cheese, sometimes some cold meats and a slice or two of Fergus Bread - buttered. Low fat, low sugar Yoghurts and a few berries. Boiled eggs, scrambled eggs. All lowish carbs and easily digestible. It is difficult to suggest much else really.

Take a look at candyogs previous post regarding the ginger sweets, might try them myself. :D

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Jude,

Breakfast doesn't have to be bacon and eggs. You could have almost anything, and as you have said, a certain amount of carbs will help your ibs, but perhaps not quite as much carbs as you get in porridge. I don't know what kind of porridge you have but most are typically around 50-55g carbs per serving, which is quite a lot for your body to cope with first thing in the day. I often have a couple of slices of toast (Nimble or WeightWatchers at 8g per slice), sometimes with scrambled eggs, sometimes just on its own with butter. Even 3 slices would be less than half the carbs in porridge so might help to reduce the nausea. Why not give it a try for a few days and see if it helps. If not then nothing lost!

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Dennis

My porridge is only 28 carbs and that includes the milk I put in it (I do 50/50 milk with water).

Can you explain why the carbs could cause the nausea?? Thanks, Jude

candy1567

Hi Jude

When i first started on Byetta it was a sort of trial and error process and what i found was that if i ate large amounts of carb i felt bloated and uncomfortable full and it made the sickness much worse.

I then cut out all bread, potatoes, pasta and rice and yes i did see a huge differece in the sickness and my blood sugars, but i didn't supplement my diet with other things to compensate.

Within a month or so i had lost a huge amount of weight, but felt really ill, no energy, drained but had really good blood sugars

so what i did was re-introduce carbs in a low amount, i do eat bread but only nimble, i do eat potatoes but a reduced amount same with rice etc and i now feel so much better.

hope this helps

Juliexx

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Jude,

The reason I suggested reducing the breakfast carbs is simply because for many people, breakfast is the highest carb meal of the day, yet most of us find it difficult to digest carbs first thing in the morning. Put the two together and it is possible that the carbs are causing the nausea in the mornings. But that is now unlikely as you've said your breakfast is not overly high in carbs.

Dar

Hi,

I took Byetta for 30 days. Was nauseus the whole time, but lost 8 lbs. Then I went on a cruise, and didn't think I should ruin the atmosphere by taking something that made me sick. Gained 4 lbs. Now I'm on Byetta again, and determined to stay and do the thing right.

This site is a great help

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hiya dennis ken and all vivkaroo here
well got to end of first 10mg month so thats 2 months on feel fantastic very very little sickness if any lost 2lb this week thats total of 9lb in 2 months highly delighted bearing in mind had previosly been on byetta 9 months had to come off but think i am bit wiser this time or it just agrees with me my ibs is controlled now praise the lord !!!so much energy but i do work at it have cut my carbs going swimming at the gym so so pleased no one knows how ill i was first time i took it and i have had so much help from here it has changed my life fingers x hope it stays like thisi think i would have been sick by nowmind you just had my grandson charlie he is 4 so i been running after him playing football have to have him again hi jude hun hope you doing ok sorry i dont mean to rub it in about how well i feel i no you not feeling to good in past how are you no keep chin up xx :)

love vivkaroo hope you all enjoyed your bank hol xxxxx :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Viv.

So pleased that it is all going really well for you. Another inspiration for the other Byetta users here.

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Vivkaroo

Am so so pleased you are doing so well - no need to apologise to me - your positive experience gives me encouragement and hope. I am just into my 6th week now but still on the 5 pen - am hoping I will be able to go on to the 10 pen at the end of this 5 pen. We went away at the weekend and I did very well - I havent travelled a long journey in this country for about 7 years, we went to Llandudno from Coventry as my husband sings in Barbershop Chorus and it was their annual convention. Like you, my ibs appears to be much improved - as you say, fingers crossed!! If the Byetta is successful in controlling my ibs after 35 years I will be more than delighted(as long as it controls the glucose too!)
The nausea is very persistent but I think it is easing now - have been injecting Byetta immediately before I eat although it seems to be the morning that is my main problem.
We are having a conservatory built at present (to use as a dining room) so have had all that to deal with alongside the Byetta side effects (its 4 weeks since they started).
Bye for now - keep us informed of your progress. Jude 8)

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi viv nice to read how good you are doing i am now on the twelve day of byetta and the sickness is wearing off starting to feel a lot better i inject the byetta directly before i eat now and now take metformin in between meal i have lost 7 pounds since started byetta my sugar levels have gone a bit high trying to excercise more now i feel better i am so glad i didnt give in with the byetta still on 5 though i suppose its early days

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

To Candydog and anyone else that it might apply to.

Don't forget that, once you have completely acclimatised to Byetta (i.e. absolutely no nausea feelings) then you can revert to having the injection anything up to an hour before you eat.

sixfoot

More and more getting access to Byetta now an quite right too in my opinion. Almost without exception all praise the weight loss aspect.

A full year and a bit down the road and i now consider that the most importat benefit is the fact that because of the way it works it only pushes your pancreas when insulin is needed. Couple that with a reduction in Carbohydrate and things get quite rosey, improved HbA1c and improved lipids as well.

I was on Gliclazide as well to start but what i didnt know was that this is active on your pancreas in the system for up to 10 hours. Due to rearranging my diet i havnt needed Glik for 6 months and still getting 5 - 6`s

Dave P