BYETTA

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

hi can anyone help me i am on byetta if you are ill stomach bug i think or food poisining anyway totally off food just holding water down are you meant to still take byetta and metformin without food i have never thought of asking nurse this but i dont know what to do sugars high 19.9 just want to go to bed id be grateful for any help

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi candyog.

In these circumstances you need to see your GP ASAP. It could be the Byetta which is causing the sickness etc. Get an appointment now please.

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

Guess Kens advice is the safest plan of action - do hope it is not the Byetta though!! Have you gone up to the 10 pen yet? I have been on the 10pen since Sunday - today being my fifth day. Nausea & unwellness has returned but not as bad as when I first started - am just taking one day at a time. Do hope you will feel better soon - keep us informed. BFN Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

thanks ken and jude i phoned gp tea time who rang me back when i told her my sugar levels now gone up to 22.6 she told me to take metformin and byetta and slowly eat dry bis or toast and to ring out of hours gp if no better fortunetly feel a bit better now a bit shakey dehydrated i think i havent gone on 10 yet supposed to be tommorow but ill ring nurse first in morning to see what she thinks thanks again im off to bed hope i get some sleep tonight none last night

Caroline P

Hey everyone :)

Day 5 of the "spit" and I'm now seeing some awesome results for me :)

Gradual change in glucose level the first few days but here I am sitting here at lunchtime and just hit a 5.9 reading wooohooo not seen one of those in a year or more :)

Feel bloody great, no nausea, slight improvement in the IBS area although I still get random attacks but nowhere near as often or as bad.

If this is just 5 days, then wow.

No idea on the weight loss have to go see my Nurse to use the scales as home ones dont' tend to read me accurately at my weight :S I'm hoping for a slight improvement there to as I've been a good girl and watched even more closely on what I ate, never was one for fatty foods though so heaven only knows how I got to this size lol (alter ego must raid the fridge when I sleep :p)

You can firmly put me down as a "spit" worshiper and I seriously look forward to being able to stay on this wonderdrug and see exactly how "normal" I can get and maintain my glucose levels. Any weight loss is a bonus but to see some single figure levels rather than 13 pluses is astounding already.

Hope everyone is well and have a wonderful weekend all :)

Best Wishes

Carrie

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude & ken thanks for your help im feeling a lot better today dont know what it was but it was rough all night and day but had never thought of asking when i went on byetta if you can take without food well im still here this morning so it must be safe to do so just picked up byetta 10 prescription will start tomorrow all going well im glad its not bad this time jude like you say take one day at a time i expect to have some side effects going up to 10 but like you not so bad i hope as the start on 5 anyway thanks again its was so good to know there is someone there especially as i felt so rough yesterday bye for now will let you know how i get on with the 10 :D :D

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

just wondering how you are today - has the bug cleared up and are you able to eat again? Do hope so. Have you started the 10 pen? Have struggled a lot today with the nausea but have also had diarrhea so not sure what is going on! BFN Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude im sorry to hear nausia is bad today like you say we,ll get through one day at a time im still not right churned up stomach feeling day one today on 10 pen like you feeling quite nausia today sucking ginger teddy bears sweets they are helping im not testing my sugar levels as they are beginning to get very depressed being so high all the time ill go back to testing tomorrow hopefully 10 pen might of improved them i dont know why there so high as im hardly eating anything still losing weight though the only good thing at the moment will keep you informed how im getting on fingers crossed we feel better tomorrow bye for now take care :D :) :wink:

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi cugila /ken i got your pm i tried to reply but made a mess of trying to put who i was sending to i dont know why ive got 2 accounts knowing me ive made a mess of it are they both candyog sorry if so

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Candyog.

As I was the sender you only needed to click on REPLY and then SUBMIT for your message to be sent to me.

No problem I will delete/Ban the other user name.
Try sending me PM now using the method shown. :D

thank you.
Ken.

Pozzie

Hi

This is my first post. I have quite a few questions and issues to discuss about my Byetta, but I will start with this.
I have been using Byetta for a couple of months now and loving it. Have lost 1st 7lb in 6 weeks!!
I have been using the 5 pen until a week ago.
When i went to get my 10 pen from the hospital pharmacy they said they only had 5 pens in stock and told me to just double my dose injecting twice instead of once. Is it ok to do that??

Secondly, I think i may have to throw out one of the pens. I stupidly left it next to my laptop yesterday next to the fan vent and it became very hot having hot air blown on it for several hours. It says on the instruction leaflet that it must be stored under 25 degrees and i'm pretty sure it was much hotter than this. Will it make the Byetta ineffective? As i am CONSTANTLY told my the nurse just how expensive it is, i am hesitant to throw it away!!

Thanks in advance

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Pozzie.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the 'spit' club. Take a good look around and ask any questions you want.

In answer to your questions.
Regarding injecting twice I suppose technically that you can inject twice or even inject once and then reset the dose and you will get the correct dosage. However this means you will only get 15 days supply from a pen which is supposed to give you 30 days ? Did they give you 2 pens instead ? If not then go back and insist on the prescription being made up correctly. The Pharmacist is not supposed to change your prescription without the permission of the GP or Consultant. It should only take a day for them to get the correct pen.

If your Byetta has been subjected to extremes of temperature then yes, it will be totally ineffective. So using it is not an option. You will just have to own up and get it replaced. Storage of the pens in hot weather is also a nightmare as room temperatures can quickly get way above the 25 deg C maximum for Byetta. A lesson learned perhaps ?

Ken.

Pozzie

Thanks for your reply cugila

Yes, I was given 2 x 5mg pens, so i will just have to use the second one now. I have thrown the other one a way. What a waste! And yes, a lesson learnt!
I did wonder if it was ineffective due to the heat as when injected the last dose from the old pen, I had incredible hunger all day which has not happened since i started taking Byetta.

I have another question related to NHS attitudes to prescribing Byetta. Sadly for me, I am in an area where the local hospital seems quite backward in its diabetes treatment. I had to have a stand up arguement with the consultant in which i eventually got what i wanted, but i feel ever since i am having a big stick waved at me every time i go to see the DSN. I have to go there every couple of weeks, and every time i go she issues me with a threat that if my BG readings dont lower they are taking it away from me!! :? I have pointed out that I have managed to lose 1st 6lb in 6 weeks and even though my BGs are not down to permanently in normal ranges, compared to what they were before it is quite remarkable. Reducing my levels hasnt been easy especially as they decided to try out something on me a couple of weeks back. They told me to STOP all other medication including my metformin and gliclizide~!! As you can imagine, within 2 days i had a reading as high as 25! I was mortified as i was doing so well prior to this. Thankfully, i rang them up and demanded to go back onto my other meds and they agreed. I am now getting much better results. In fact the best yet.
It has now got to the point where i do not trust these people anymore. They dont seemt to know what they are doing. The nurse admitted i was their first guinea pig and no one else has been treated with Byetta in their area.
I went to see my GP last week and asked if i could be referred to a hospital near my daughter which is quite a drive from here, but is known for their excellent scheme with Byetta. I have been referred and now waiting for an appointment. I am now worried that the old hospital may get shirty about it. Can they stop giving me Byetta until i go to the new hospital?
I would feel so demoralised if they do a si feel i have done really well losing so much weight

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Pozzie.

There are certain NICE guidelines in place regarding the prescribing and the continuation of Byetta.
Heres is an extract from the one regarding staying on it.
Exenatide
Continue exenatide only if the person has a
reduction in HbA1c of ≥ 1.0 percentage point
and ≥ 3% of initial body weight in 6 months.

● Discuss the benefits of exenatide to allow the
person to make an informed decision.

However this is routinely ignored so it is entirely up to the PCT/GP/Consultant as to whether you remain on it or not. Not sure what your starting weight was so if you make your own calculation you can see if you are within the guidelines and quote them to the DSN/GP if needed. sometimes shut's them up when they realise you know more about it than most Patients !!

Not really sure how you will fare by changing to another area. It may be that you will get better treatment, but be prepared to have to fight your corner with the existing one if you cannot change ?Their rules as you can see don't always add up ? Let us know how you get on please.

Ken.

Pozzie

Thanks Ken. I shall print off your extract and take it with me when i go.
I am pretty sure i do fall within the guidelines even after just 6 weeks on it!

I am pretty certain the other hospital will be far more accomodating as I was in there with pnuemonia last year and it was they who first told me about Byetta saying i was a perfect candidate and seemed They appeared much more clued up on it and even have a friendly drop in centre every wednesday for anyone who wants to see the nurse or have questions answered.
I'm beginning to regret moving to this new area !!

I shall let you know how i get on.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi third day on 10 pen feeling sorry for myself i wonder if im suited to byetta not a lot of people on this forum seem to have problems with it first day fine last evening 1 hour after meal brought it all up again and the same again tonight just feel nausia all day i know it wears off like 5 pen and good weight loss but sugar levels not much better still 15,s its good to be able to come on here and have a moan sorry ill see how it goes i just dont want to eat at all because i know it will make me sick :( :( :( :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi candyog.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Not everybody can cope with this however, you need to stay in touch with your GP/DSN and let them know what is happening. Are you trying the various remedies to counteract the nausea ?

Ken.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi thanks yes im going to let dsn know tomorrow im sorry i sound like a moaner i mean the byetta is the only drug that has helped me lose weight and i just dont want to give up on it too soon because i suppose the only other option is to go back on insulin which i could never lose weight with its just this feels a cruel wayto lose have you any other ideas to help nausia ive been taking ginger capsules and capsule sweets they do help nausia a bit but nothing helps stop me been sick in evening im then left with horrendous headache all evening do try to sip water after any way as i said its good to have a moan to someone thanks again

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Sorry Candyog. The only other thing that I have ever used was Ginger Biscuits. Mind you I never suffered with any real nausea. Let's hope somebody can offer you some other solution ?

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

Now come on, we agreed to keep each other going - please give it a little longer. I have been on the 10pen 9days now and although I am far from "normal" (never was normal anyway :lol: ) but I do think that it is lessening each day. I have not been sick though - how near to eating do you inject? My DSN tells me I have to inject at least 15-20 minutes before eating else it wont work - however with the advice on this board I usually inject about 10 mins before breakfast and about 20 mins before evening meal. I am still not sure yet whether the Byetta will work for me but I definitely do NOT want to go back on Lantus. My DSN said they will give me 6 months so as it stands at the moment I am just into month 4 and I have to go back to the hospital on 11th September.
Do you take a ginger capsule with your evening meal? - I just take one before breakfast because after lunch I am usually much better.
You have at least lost some weight - I dont seem to have lost any and I worry that the medics will bring me off the Byetta if I do not have the weight loss. Perhaps your GP could give you an anti-sickness drug just until your body gets used to the Byetta?
Dont forget, we have a DEAL. BFN Jude