BYETTA

debzg

Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a week into using byetta and getting the normal nausea and upset stomach side effects. But I wondered if anyone has experienced changes in their mood? For the last three days I have been quite snappy and inwardly angry for no apparent reason. Periodically I experience moments of intense frustration where quite frankly I feel like stamping my feet like a kid having a tantrum...which isn't normal for me!! :)

I am hoping that I am not alone on this one as it is quite worrying!

Thanks,

Debz x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Debz,

When you get these irritable feelings, do you check your BS levels? One of the give-away signs of low BS levels is becoming irritable and snappy.

debzg

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your reply. I have been checking them regularly due to starting the Byetta and just recovering from high blood sugars (they were 30+ last week due to having swine flu). But they are still rather high 21.7 at the moment, but I am feeling calmer than I was earlier, so I don't think it is down to low sugars. It seems to be worse in the evenings before I go to sleep and I just dont have any patience with people at all...which isn't going to help me keep my friends lol!

Cheers,

Debz x

mundiz

Dislikes
Diabetes

I started on the 5m dose of Byetta on Sunday morning. My BS levels pre Byetta were between 9 and 19 but on the first day dropped to between 5.2 and 7.1 with no nausea at all.

Today I am up to 9.1 and feeling a little nauseous. The most remarkable thing is that I don’t feel hungry. If this is as bad as it gets I am happy.

Regards

Mundiz

susanstubley

Dennis said:
Hi all, This is my first post on this blog - type 2 for 5 years and about to start using a combination of Glucophage and Byetta. I know that Byetta is only recently licenced for use in the UK so wondered if any of you have any experience of it?

Hi, been type 2 for 28 years never really been able to control fully, my doctor was all for me trying byetta have had one month of 5mg just now started 10mil I find injecting quite hard dont like needles much but coping quite well, my appetite is now very suppressed which must be good for me but added to that Im finding a definate lack in wanting food at all and only get hungry now and again I dont suffer any sickness at all. So all is still realy new to me and you by the sounds of things my doctor said byetta is a brillliant invention I hope so.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Susan.
Welcome to the forum and the Byetta thread. Somehow you have managed to dredge up Dennis's first post from 2007 ? I hope you didn't wade through all 65 pages of posts to get here ? :D

Both Dennis and I would no doubt agree with your GP that Byetta is the best thing since ...well, sliced bread. (in joke - sorry) :lol:

Dennis is now our Forum Moderator and has been a long time user of Byetta. If there is anything you want to know about Byetta, or in fact anything else, please ask here or in Ask the Experts. We will try to answer your questions.

Ken.

mundiz

Dislikes
Diabetes

Where can I get a Byetta Pen Carrying Case from? I have seen lots of ads for free ones in the States but they will not send one to the UK.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Try phoning Eli Lilley in the UK. Customer Services. 0125 631 5999

I got my fabric one from there for free. It is sturdy and holds a fair bit of the kit. Not sure if they are doing the hard cases - if they do let us know.

Ken.

keeble81

Hi All
Hopely going to see doctor tomorrow to go on Byetta as I am no good with needles
there the best place to inject or places to inject Byetta
I have been reading the post and replys from Saturday till now it seem good the work very well
I am a very large and yes over weight,reading the post people seem to lose weight quickly
is that good.The doctor got me in with slimmers world and are you sick for more than a day
I will post tomorrow night if I get the Byetta
thanks have a good night
keeble81

Pumpkin

To those of us who worry about injecting and needles.

I was told by my nurse that it hurts much LESS than the everyday finger prick when testing blood sugars.

And it's TRUE. It does hurt less. Sometimes it is virtually painless.

It's all in the mind. I tend to not look at the needle end and remove my spectacles so that it becomes a blur. (I have only pricked my hand the once, lol)

The first time is the most daunting - a good pinch of flesh and go for it. It's worth it.

keeble81

Hi All
doctor ok the byetta so I will start Friday after work just in case I do fill ill the doctor was not
happy that I have not been doing daily blood testing so pop in to boots and got a tester
so all set for Friday I will update you on friday and saturday night and great thank you for
all the information that has been post on the byetta :) :) :)

heyjude999

I have been on 5ml for a month and increased to 10ml now, they were pleased with the reduction in my blood sugar an average of 12 to 7.7 and I was very hopeful. I have had v little in terms of side effects and got over the needle bit easily when I realised it did not hurt one bit!
The day after I started taking the 10m my blood sugar has risen back to where is was and is showing no sign of coming down.
I am gutted, has anyone else experienced this........
I just do not understand ...

tizzzzy

Does anyone else find that the weather affects them? After feeling fine for nearly a month, one hot day, 30° here, and I started being sick again last night!

tizzzzy

Just phoned Doctors surgery for blood results, been told to come in to discuss medication, problem is 'impaired kidney function', have been doing my own research and have found out that maybe Metformin is the problem, if they take me off metformin is it going to make any difference to my weight loss?? Are any of you on Byetta without Metformin or have you experienced this problem with your kidneys. I would be interested in finding out about other peoples experiences as I am obviously worried about the future, but can't get a doctors appointment till Friday 14th.
I'm also using a statin (simvastatin), asprin, blood pressure medications - lisinopril, bendroflumethiazide amlodipine and doxazosin mesilate - all perscription drugs.
Now beginning to wonder if being sick is linked to kindeys rather than byetta or the heat (re earlier post). Any advice, please.

mundiz

Dislikes
Diabetes

cugila said:

I got my fabric one from there for free. It is sturdy and holds a fair bit of the kit. Not sure if they are doing the hard cases - if they do let us know.

Ken.

I received my free fabric case yesterday after phoning the nice lady at Eli Lilley. I still do not know of anywhere in the UK where I can get a hard case.

Mundiz

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am on Allopurinol, Insulin Humalog and Insulatard, Bisoprolol Fumerate, Quinie Bisulphate, Aspirin Dispersible, Metformine , Simvastatin, Candessartan Clexetil.
I spoke to my GP after reading about Byetta on this forum and asked if it would help me and will he prescribe it for me. We had a chat and today I have started on 5 micrograms.
So far, so good but, I will have to wait and see, I will keep you all abreast of the events as they unfurl. :lol:

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi,
I've had my 2nd injection and since having a meal I have nausea. I have taken a nausea tablet but, no release, only wind.
What I forgot to mention is that I am 73 and type 2. Ah! well, you pays yer money and yer takes a chance. Got to keep a sense of humour :lol: :wink:

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2

mundiz said:
cugila said:

Ken.

I received my free fabric case yesterday after phoning the nice lady at Eli Lilley. I still do not know of anywhere in the UK where I can get a hard case.

Mundiz

I recieved mine today and don't think much off it.
Garfield

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Garfield.

I have been using my free case for the last 7 months and it's fine. I thought it was a bit flimsy at first, but it is very deceptive. It holds 2 Byetta pens and some needles and is handy to fit in the pocket/glovebox. I have taken it abroad and locally with no problems. It is free after all ?

Mundiz and Garfield.

If you want something more substantial there are plenty of hard and soft cases for sale which may be more to your liking. Desang is one manufacturer. Here is the link to this sites promotion.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/desangkitbags.html

Do an Internet search to find cheaper.

Ken.

nconsta1

Started again on the 5mg twice per day with 500 metformin SR. Really sick. Questions.

1. Some people have said eat as soon as you take the Byetta but I was told to wait at least 30 miniutes before eating

2. someone says walking really helps with the sickness.

3. Finally most important questions as I am willing to fight it out but how long should it be before the vomitting stops.............

Nicola