C-PEPTIDE questions after lab results - Canada

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got a C-PEPTIDE test, but I still have questions.

After about a 5 hour fast my C-PEPTIDE test results were .76 nmol/L.

In discussion with my family Dr. my insulin levels are still good per these test results. What if I had a 12 hour fast instead of the 5 hour fast would the C-Peptide test results be lower? There were no specific fasting requirements on the lab requisition.

So I am making insulin, but it takes hours to get to a decent level. Example, before I start eating I test and my BG is 5.7 let’s say, 2 hours after I’m 7.3, 4 hours later I’m 6.9, 6 hours later I’m 6.3. I could have eaten anywhere from 20 to 50 carbs. Carbs vary from veggies to nuts to legumes to berries.

If my insulin is at a good level shouldn’t my BG come down better?

If the right amount of insulin is being put out after I eat, it would be either my receptors are malfunctioning or my insulin isn’t working right?

If the receptors are good would it not mean an exogenous insulin would work? If it’s the receptors that are bad then an exogenous insulin wouldn’t work?

FROM The Lab -- C-PEPTIDE =0.76 : Range (0.30 – 2.40) nmol/L

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you extend your fasting period, your c-peptide could well approach the lower end of the normal range. It's only flagged if your blood sugars are higher than the normal range. Your blood sugars are not diabetic. Food can take 4-6 hours to digest, proteins and fats longer, which is what you may be seeing here.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that some foods such as fats take hours to digest and your levels are good anyway and not really diabetic. I would just carry on with a good LCHF diet with occasional testing.