1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 C peptide test

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Flora123, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I need a test but I haven’t been given any instructions. Anything I should or shouldn’t eat? Or should it be fasted? Anything to make it accurate! Thanks.

2. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve just dropped my test off at the hospital. Likewise I had no instructions & had to phone the diabetes team.

Is it a blood test or urine?

3. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For the urine test I had to
    - collect a red top sample bottle
    - eat a ‘good’ meal (I just ate slightly more than normal)
    - wait 2hrs then do the sample

If you don’t have the red top sample bottle you need to collect one from the hospital/ diabetes team.

4. Flora123

Blood

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. C-Peptide blood tests are usually done fasting but not always

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flora123

But does it matter either way?

7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Flora, I don't know for sure whether it matters but I was told to fast for mine. They said the reason was that if I had eaten then my body would respond by producing an amount of insulin which would mean the C peptide level would match it, so when they checked the C Peptide level it would be showing 'higher' than normal because of the eaten meal. They wanted to check what my body was producing without a meal, the basal if you like. x

8. Flora123

Thank you. Oh dear. Having a meal with a couple of glasses of wine. Will the wine make a difference? Maybe I should postpone my test...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That made me smile, to be honest if they haven't been absolutely clear or TOLD you to fast then you can probably assume that it's not a fasting one. They usually make it quite clear about the fasting otherwise it's a wasted test. x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

When I had mine both done I was not told to fast, but now I know more about this next time I am going to double-confirm with the doctor. I would suggest taking note of what you ate and when at least for 24 hours - in that way you can view the results based on the time the test was taken and check with the Doctor when the results come back.

11. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had a fasting one, and one where I drank a bottle of Lucozade before the test. I produced the same amount of insulin for both tests, which meant my BS's went above 30 mmol/L on the non-fasting. I had no phase 1 insulin response.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook