Type 2 CAC Scan

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuffield Hospital, Derby charge £522 for a scan. I am asking what benefit I would gain from having this done.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nuffield Hospital, Derby charge £522 for a scan. I am asking what benefit I would gain from having this done.

Hi Carol, what are you hoping to find out? If there is a specific thing that you want to know and this gives you your answer, then I guess it's worth it to you? I'm guessing you want to know the condition of your arteries?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This would show hard plaque, if you have any and give a baseline for future potential measurements. If there is no or minimal hard plaque then potentially lethal soft plaque is less likely. CAC scans wipe the floor with other markers for heart health.

M

Member496333

Ivor Cummins ‘The Fat Emperor’ appears to be the guy with his finger on the pulse regarding CAC. Certainly he is a big proponent. Might be worth researching his work.

Personally I’m not sure if I could justify spending ~£500 but I totally understand why someone might. More important to me is a diet that doesn’t promote problems, but if I had reason to suspect anything amiss then I would probably have a CAC scan. It certainly can’t do any harm if you can afford it. It could be something I would consider once I hit 50.

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you searched round for price comparisons? I am fairly sure some on this forum have had one done cheaper than £522.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have you phoned around different hospitals in your area for the price, inc NHS? Paying for tests privately can vary enormously. My MRI was over £300 cheaper paying for it privately at an NHS hospital. BUpA hospitals were the most expensive.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Brunneria has privately.

Mine was free on nhs but its heavily relied apon in the cardiology dept.
I had it confirmed with a coronary angiogram and 2 cardiologists agreement that exercise is the best remedy or way to slow down the atherosclerosis. Diet wasn't mentioned as I was losing weight. On lchf.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd consider it if there was a history of CV disease in the family, but without it, I'm electing to pass on it.

For me, were I to be considering going down that route, I'd need to have in my head what my course of action would be if the scan didn't look great.

That isn't me saying I'd rather bury my head in the sand, because that's not my style, but knowing something and not knowing what to do about it can cause quite a lot of stress in itself.

You can have a lot of fun for £500

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Carol
I had mine done to see what damage 30 years of boozing, smoking and over eating had done to my heart and to get a reference point from which to monitor any problems.
I had mine done at Rivers Hospital in Hertfordshire and the cost at the time was £225 which so far as I am aware is the current price. I liked that I could self refer without troubling my doctors. I'll probably get another done next year to check on progression of the mild calcium they found (score of 40) and see if my new way of eating has any benefits.

Reactions: Brunneria

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carol
I had mine done to see what damage 30 years of boozing, smoking and over eating had done to my heart and to get a reference point from which to monitor any problems.
I had mine done at Rivers Hospital in Hertfordshire and the cost at the time was £225 which so far as I am aware is the current price. I liked that I could self refer without troubling my doctors. I'll probably get another done next year to check on progression of the mild calcium they found (score of 40) and see if my new way of eating has any benefits.

You remind me of George Best, you spent your life boozing, smoking and eating...and wasted the rest, (or something like that). :)