Cake advice

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone have good chocolate cake or cheesecake recipes we can eat and is attached ok for us to eat ? Is Erythritol ok ?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This site has good recipes, and sections where they describe the different sweeteners

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most my my diabetic style baking I've adapted from my previous recipes and I regularly use ground almonds and a variety of nut flours/meals (hazelnut, walnut, pecan, sesame...), but unfortunately I don't get on with coconut flour at all! I make my basic low carb chocolate cake with hazelnut meal, cocoa powder, erythritol/stevia mix and the usual full fat butter, eggs, raising agent, etc. Without the raising agent and less egg and a sprinkle of roasted chopped hazelnuts added for a topping this also makes my shortcake too.

The problem with stevia is that it's so extremely sweet that you only need a minute amount of the pure stuff which means it tends to be bulked out with various fillers - erythritol is fine for this but other options are often very much less suitable, particularly for diabetic use. Early in my T2 journey I was buying pure stevia powder and needed a "micro" spoon (generally used in chemistry, etc) for measuring it, but now I mainly use an erythritol/stevia mix. I've seen xylitol highly recommended for use in baking, but this is a big NO NO if you have dogs, as it's not at all good for them and can be a killer.

Reactions: Rog

Sadjers

Does anyone have good chocolate cake or cheesecake recipes we can eat and is attached ok for us to eat ? Is Erythritol ok ?
Hi, Almond Muffins with butter icing.
I make almond muffins in my airfryer.
Mix 2 cups almond flour, 4 eggs, 2 cups powdered sweetener, 1tsp vanilla ess., 1tsp baking soda, and 2tsp baking powder. (Add 3/4 cup flavours such as blueberries, coconut, and choc-chips).
Mix together and poor into small silicone muffin/cake cups and cook in airfryer on 160C for 16min.
I'm still experimenting butter icing but beat 150g soft butter with 2 cups of powdered sweetner and 2 tbs cocoa powder. Change cocoa with other flavours such as vanilla, lemon or perhaps look at Skinney Food Co for thier syrup options.
Smother the muffin with butter icing and enjoy.

Reactions: Rog

Sadjers

Hi, Almond Muffins with butter icing.
I make almond muffins in my airfryer.
Mix 2 cups almond flour, 4 eggs, 2 cups powdered sweetener, 1tsp vanilla ess., 1tsp baking soda, and 2tsp baking powder. (Add 3/4 cup flavours such as blueberries, coconut, and choc-chips).
Mix together and poor into small silicone muffin/cake cups and cook in airfryer on 160C for 16min.
I'm still experimenting butter icing but beat 150g soft butter with 2 cups of powdered sweetner and 2 tbs cocoa powder. Change cocoa with other flavours such as vanilla, lemon or perhaps look at Skinney Food Co for thier syrup options.
Smother the muffin with butter icing and enjoy.
Sorry, I thought I'd attached pictures
20230317_190314.jpg