Cake Recipe Ideas Please

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been approached by a colleague, she has been asked to man the cake stall at one of our summer events. She has asked if I would be willing to provide something suitable for diabetic visitors. I am hoping for some inspiration from all you wonderful bakers out there. Ideally I need something that is easy to transport and not too technical to make, I won't have a great deal of time due to work and other commitments prior to the event. I am quite confident that the adapted Nigella Olive Oil Chocolate cake would be a good option but am also aware that not everyone enjoys chocolate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

D

Deleted Account

Not a recipe but a thought which people with diabetes (and others) may appreciate is if you could indicate the number of carbs per slice. Given people cut different sized slices, one approach to overcome this could be to back cupcakes (with the same recipe) so they are all approximately the same size.

As for recipes, diabetes UK recipes give a carb indication so many be helpful: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/recipe-search-results?meals_courses[0]=32 (as a starter).

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jayney27 hello, can I recommend 2 recipes. The first is a low carb lemon cake from the low carb diet.com. The other is from the diabeticbaking.com website and is the ricotta cake recipe. The ricotta cake is wonderful topped with whipped double cream and sliced strawberries. I hope this helps.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 hello, can I recommend 2 recipes. The first is a low carb lemon cake from the low carb diet.com. The other is from the diabeticbaking.com website and is the ricotta cake recipe. The ricotta cake is wonderful topped with whipped double cream and sliced strawberries. I hope this helps.
Thank you, I think I have a recipe for a ricotta cake, I will look to see if it's the same one. Both suggestions sound lovely.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a recipe but a thought which people with diabetes (and others) may appreciate is if you could indicate the number of carbs per slice. Given people cut different sized slices, one approach to overcome this could be to back cupcakes (with the same recipe) so they are all approximately the same size.

As for recipes, diabetes UK recipes give a carb indication so many be helpful: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/recipe-search-results?meals_courses[0]=32 (as a starter).
Thank you for your reply. Great minds think alike, I plan to create a little card listing all ingredients and nutritional values, just in case my colleague is asked, you never know in this day and age, so many people are either allergic or sensitive to certain ingredients or like many of us here, diet controlled and much more aware and selective about what we put into our bodies.

Reactions: Kim Possible

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jayney- right time of year for this one as M&S blueberries are nice this time of year. A courgette blueberry cake with lemon frosting. The courgette keeps it moist. The cream cheese frosting I use a mix of natural yoghurt and cream cheese rather than her butter and cream cheese. As you know I also separate the eggs and fold the beaten whites in at the end

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-blueberry-zucchini-cake-with-lemon-frosting/

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jayney- right time of year for this one as M&S blueberries are nice this time of year. A courgette blueberry cake with lemon frosting. The courgette keeps it moist. The cream cheese frosting I use a mix of natural yoghurt and cream cheese rather than her butter and cream cheese. As you know I also separate the eggs and fold the beaten whites in at the end

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-blueberry-zucchini-cake-with-lemon-frosting/
Aww bless you this sounds lovely, thank you for the link and the extra advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife sometimes makes Molly cake (Google it) which uses no added sugar and relies on the added dried fruit to sweeten it which helps keep the carbs down

Reactions: jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife sometimes makes Molly cake (Google it) which uses no added sugar and relies on the added dried fruit to sweeten it which helps keep the carbs down
Thank you for your suggestion.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a section in the low carb vegetarian forum where purplekat listed (with links!) loads of recipes including a lot of desserts and cake, there is more than one long list for desserts so keep scrolling down, some yummy almond cakes which I find dont need sweetener as the almonds are naturally sweet - dont forget to label as containing nuts :)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a section in the low carb vegetarian forum where purplekat listed (with links!) loads of recipes including a lot of desserts and cake, there is more than one long list for desserts so keep scrolling down, some yummy almond cakes which I find dont need sweetener as the almonds are naturally sweet - dont forget to label as containing nuts :)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/
Thank you a great link and as you say lots of recipe ideas.

petersh2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for some great suggestions here, I also am looking for a cake without sugar